• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

My eyes quickly picked up on that the first time I saw it. That was his own touch and he wanted it to be a surprise, but he didn't know my last name and needed to ask Sally.

If it wasn't obvious, "SRA" are my fiancées initials, "ACE" are mine.

I NEED HELP.

How do I tell the difference between a counterfeit and real #2 1st print?

I searched through this thread but couldn't find it.

I'm not aware of a counterfeiting of #2...anyone?

Not sure why you'd counterfeit that book to be honest.

Perhaps you couldn't find information on it because there isn't one?

Michael told me he'd likely be making a print of this for a show in 2011. I'm hoping it's a show I'm attending. :wishluck:

Normally you can buy his prints directly from him if you can't make the show:

http://dooneygirls.blogspot.com/

You might also notice he blogged about your piece. Grats dude :-)

Edited by Archon_Turtle

There is a counterfeit #2. A slabbed copy was posted a couple months back in a thread. I think it went to SDCC, but is not for sale

Basically the printing was terrible and looked pretty blurred.

I stand (or rather sit) corrected. Nuts!

Anyone have pictures? Now I want one!

Edited by Archon_Turtle

It belongs to Motor City Comics, formerly of the Brian Tatge (sp?) collection. It's the only one I've ever seen and I held it next to an authentic copy to spot the difference. The biggest discernible difference is in the fine black hatching on the mouser. It's much finer on the authentic copy and a little blurred on the counterfeit. As it was slabbed, I can't attest to any interior differences.

It belongs to Motor City Comics, formerly of the Brian Tatge (sp?) collection. It's the only one I've ever seen and I held it next to an authentic copy to spot the difference. The biggest discernible difference is in the fine black hatching on the mouser. It's much finer on the authentic copy and a little blurred on the counterfeit. As it was slabbed, I can't attest to any interior differences.

So as far as we know it could be a one off?

Very possible. The one I saw was the only one on the census.

There's two Counterfeit #2 in the census:

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles+-+COUNTERFEIT&publisher=no+publisher+listed&issue=2&year=1900&issuedate=No+Date

But there's a really small chance it could be the same one - if it was opened, reslabbed etc etc

Anyhow, I want one REALLY BAD, since I have a counterfeit #1, I want to finish my collection : )

If anyone has one, or knows anything, let me know!

-Pete

Very possible. The one I saw was the only one on the census.

There's two Counterfeit #2 in the census:

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles+-+COUNTERFEIT&publisher=no+publisher+listed&issue=2&year=1900&issuedate=No+Date

But there's a really small chance it could be the same one - if it was opened, reslabbed etc etc

Anyhow, I want one REALLY BAD, since I have a counterfeit #1, I want to finish my collection : )

If anyone has one, or knows anything, let me know!

-Pete

yeah. Otherwise it's an interesting coinkydink that theyre both 9.4s

I remember the case being scuffed in a few areas when I saw it. Maybe a resub happened as suggested.

I'll have to look for that tool that tracks the census to see when the second one was added.

I've seen those two there for at least a year now. And if not for my horrible memory, maybe more like a few years (at least 3?). I doubt that tells anything other than I've had my eyes on it for a while.

If somebody was really cool with or close to Motor City (or knows someone who works there), maybe they can get us a nice scan so we all know what it looks like. :)

-Pete

Update: no go gents as there was some fuzzy rust on each of the staples so I declined the TMNT V1,#1 book. Thanks everyone for the information and well wishes; much appreciated!

Edited by Moetown