• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

A raw 7.5 of Birds, Bees and Turtles sold in this month's Comiclink auction for $83.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dbirds%252C%2Bbees%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=896412

Like Gobbledygook, it's black and white, had a 50-copy print run, and won't be certified by CGC because of the ease of counterfeiting. So you should look for some sort of proof of provenance.

congrats! :)

what's a presented set if you don't mind me asking?

+1 :popcorn:

They give out a variety of awards on top of being the top spot in a given set. One of the of awards is "Best Presented Set" and it's given to sets that the judging panel feels put a lot of effort into book descriptions, set descriptions, and photos/scans. This year, Silent Master (G.I. Joe), NewEnglandGothic (Locke & Key), and I were recognized.

O wow, very very cool! (thumbs u

Hey gang, I've been away from the board for no significant reason other than absentmindedness ;-)

First off, Congrats on the award Adam!

Second, a few pages back someone was asking about Ten Penny Funnies. Here is a piece I authored a year ago about my copies. It contains scans:

TenPenny Funnies @ GoGreenMachine.org

Thirdly, Re: The Birds, the Bees, and the Turtles.

Bill Fitts (who worked for Mirage back in the day) authored the book as a going away gift when he left the company. We corresponded on a semi-regular basis for awhile. In his words:

I wrote and did the layouts, and my friend Dan Seneres did the pencils, I inked it and Steve Levigne did the lettering. As it was sort of a "taboo" at the time (as the TMNT we're still enjoying popularity and we were careful not to tarnish the clean image), I kept it on the under and only printed a run of I beleive 50 copies, which were given out to the creators and some of the staff - it was done secretly and then I sprung it on them as a surprise, heh..

I own most of the OA for the book. You can check it out here:

Comic Art Fans

A raw 7.5 of Birds, Bees and Turtles sold in this month's Comiclink auction for $83.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dbirds%252C%2Bbees%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=896412

Like Gobbledygook, it's black and white, had a 50-copy print run, and won't be certified by CGC because of the ease of counterfeiting. So you should look for some sort of proof of provenance.

Wow, talk about under the radar. That's the first time I've seen the book sell for less than $500.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Hey gang, I've been away from the board for no significant reason other than absentmindedness ;-)

First off, Congrats on the award Adam!

Second, a few pages back someone was asking about Ten Penny Funnies. Here is a piece I authored a year ago about my copies. It contains scans:

TenPenny Funnies @ GoGreenMachine.org

Thirdly, Re: The Birds, the Bees, and the Turtles.

Bill Fitts (who worked for Mirage back in the day) authored the book as a going away gift when he left the company. We corresponded on a semi-regular basis for awhile. In his words:

I wrote and did the layouts, and my friend Dan Seneres did the pencils, I inked it and Steve Levigne did the lettering. As it was sort of a "taboo" at the time (as the TMNT we're still enjoying popularity and we were careful not to tarnish the clean image), I kept it on the under and only printed a run of I beleive 50 copies, which were given out to the creators and some of the staff - it was done secretly and then I sprung it on them as a surprise, heh..

I own most of the OA for the book. You can check it out here:

Comic Art Fans

Wow, talk about under the radar. That's the first time I've seen the book sell for less than $500.

Ya thats a really good price for such a rare book.

Ya thats a really good price for such a rare book.

:acclaim: Another rare book for my collection

anybody reading the new series? and if so what are your impressions. I heard there are like 12 variant covers.

I think it is a little early to tell. I like Dan Duncan's art...but I think the first issue was paced a little slowly...Not very much happened...

As for covers...yes, there are 12. IDW is going to have to be careful if they are planning on keeping up so many variant covers per issue. Otherwise they're going to poison the well.

I saw this on eBay again today and wondered, what would real Turtle fans pay for this? Rare TMNT Signed Hardcover

What is the REAL FMV on something like this?

I'd say $300 would be the very most you'd expect to get for one in an open auction. I picked my copy up from a board member for less than that and I've seen them on ebay over the years for anywhere from $75-$250.

For those who don't have the link, it's the Hardcover version of the 6th print deluxe edition of TMNT #1.

And thanks, Forrest!

I saw this on eBay again today and wondered, what would real Turtle fans pay for this? Rare TMNT Signed Hardcover

What is the REAL FMV on something like this?

I'd say $300 would be the very most you'd expect to get for one in an open auction. I picked my copy up from a board member for less than that and I've seen them on ebay over the years for anywhere from $75-$250.

For those who don't have the link, it's the Hardcover version of the 6th print deluxe edition of TMNT #1.

And thanks, Forrest!

Thats sounds right. You could pick up a higher grade first print TMNT 1 for the price listed on that auction.

True, but I've seen the seller's auctions before and he never seems to price his TMNT stuff based on realistic expectations, so this is nothing new.

Not me.

I don't remember if I've posted this here, but it's just back from CGC. It's by Mirage artist Michael Dooney:

BlackestNight0-DooneyTMNT.jpg

I'm into sketch covers and a fellow boardie gave me one of these hand-made Blackest Night blanks. I'm not much of a DC guy, so I turned it into something that I do like. Love the results. :)

Don't recall if I've mentioned these yet in this thread, but how many of you own a set of the little lead TMNT figures that are advertised on the inside cover of issue (I think) # 2 or 3? I picked up two sets when they first came out in the comic shop where I purchased my issues of #3.

yea, I love those things. There were quite a few different sets, each with different groups of characters. A number of them have backing board variants where the art is different. Great little collectibles...literally

I don't remember if I've posted this here, but it's just back from CGC. It's by Mirage artist Michael Dooney:

BlackestNight0-DooneyTMNT.jpg

I'm into sketch covers and a fellow boardie gave me one of these hand-made Blackest Night blanks. I'm not much of a DC guy, so I turned it into something that I do like. Love the results. :)

Completely awesome Adam!