• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

So after checking with the people I needed to check with, I got the ok to show these (since they actually haven't been shipped yet). New to my collection, these are 1:50 sketch variants, signed and sketched by Kevin. If you look carefully, these particular 4 line up. Not realizing this at the time of the photo, I put them in the wrong order. As they are now, the correct order should be 3,4,1,2. These books are currently at the CGC being graded, but I will take more photos when they return.

IMAG0342.jpg

(The orange dots just happen to be on the poly bags that they are in)

IMAG0342.jpg

what ! expect the ink to turn the books to dust in the plastic cases in 10 years.

lol

i love em, so jealous. i have been trying to get a complete set on these secret invasion covers for years now but kevin keeps dodging the NYCC!

well, now official TMNT blanks exist, i have to start all over. :(

Edited by PeasOfCrap

what ! expect the ink to turn the books to dust in the plastic cases in 10 years.

lol

I see what you did there!

i love em, so jealous. i have been trying to get a complete set on these secret invasion covers for years now but kevin keeps dodging the NYCC!

well, now official TMNT blanks exist, i have to start all over. :(

You may not be able to find blanks of this particular variant as they were designed to have Kevin's sketches on them already upon leaving the distributor.

The Detroit Fanfare and NECRA variant covers are sketch covers though :-)

These particular 4 1:50's are going to be special. Rather than being sketched and sent to the distributor, they were sketched by Kevin at LBCC in front of a CGC witness. So these may be the only 4 to get signature series instead of green label.

So after checking with the people I needed to check with, I got the ok to show these (since they actually haven't been shipped yet). New to my collection, these are 1:50 sketch variants, signed and sketched by Kevin. If you look carefully, these particular 4 line up. Not realizing this at the time of the photo, I put them in the wrong order. As they are now, the correct order should be 3,4,1,2. These books are currently at the CGC being graded, but I will take more photos when they return.

IMAG0342.jpg

(worship)

IMAG0342.jpg

Congrats on those!!! (worship)

So CGC is going to give those SS? Would that be the case for all of the 1:50's that come from the distributor or no?

No, just these four. These four didn't come from the 400 that are going to the distributor, but came from Kevin's personal allotment from IDW, and were sketched in front of a CGC witness.

Hello friend, I'm thinking a little under the table payment to someone at the CGC booth will fix that :grin:

I'm pretty sure their reputation is more valuable to them than that. Especially with as publicized as these books are. Part of the reason why I decided to show them now is so people would see I did this before the others were distributed, so there would be less of a chance of someone crying foul over the yellow labels.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Hello friend, I'm thinking a little under the table payment to someone at the CGC booth will fix that :grin:

I'm pretty sure their reputation is more valuable to them than that. Especially with as publicized as these books are. Part of the reason why I decided to show them now is so people would see I did this before the others were distributed, so there would be less of a chance of someone crying foul over the yellow labels.

I hope it's ok I consider you a friend, I am happy for you those are going to be a great addition to your already impressive collection. If I was able to get one, crossing fingers it's through my LCS, I would be perfectly happy with a green label. :whee:

Hey Archon, those books look really awesome. I bet they look even better in person!

As an aside, I've bumped into and read many of your posts on different forums, for the past few months, mostly by doing google searches on TMNT items. Your one lucky guy to be such close friends with Kevin. And, as a fellow collector, it pleases me greatly to see that you seem to be the real deal--a true lover of TMNT who isn't whoring out your friendship with Kevin to make some dough. Honestly, the TMNT fanbase is better for having you around. Thanks.

Hey Archon, those books look really awesome. I bet they look even better in person!

As an aside, I've bumped into and read many of your posts on different forums, for the past few months, mostly by doing google searches on TMNT items. Your one lucky guy to be such close friends with Kevin. And, as a fellow collector, it pleases me greatly to see that you seem to be the real deal--a true lover of TMNT who isn't whoring out your friendship with Kevin to make some dough. Honestly, the TMNT fanbase is better for having you around. Thanks.

What a fantastic complement! Thank you so much! That really means the world to me that you would say that.

I try my hardest to treat Kevin as a friend first, and a creator second. It's always been important to me that he never feels like I'm trying to get anything out of our relationship aside from his friendship. Has our friendship benefited my collection? I'd obviously be lying if I said no. But I would easily give up all that in exchange for his friendship. And I've certainly never profited monetarily from it.

Thank you again for the kind words!

Where will the other 400 sketches be sold? I usually pass on such things but I would like to have an Eastman sketch on paper or a comic, doesn't matter :)

These particular ones are 1:50 sketch variant retailer incentives. So for every 50 copies of #1 a store ordered, they will receive 1 of these for free to do with as they so choose. So to get one you basically have to talk to your LCS, or watch ebay in the coming weeks.

Where will the other 400 sketches be sold? I usually pass on such things but I would like to have an Eastman sketch on paper or a comic, doesn't matter :)

These particular ones are 1:50 sketch variant retailer incentives. So for every 50 copies of #1 a store ordered, they will receive 1 of these for free to do with as they so choose. So to get one you basically have to talk to your LCS, or watch ebay in the coming weeks.

DCBS has been a little annoying with the ability to pre-order the different TMNT covers, (usually missing the 1:4/5 variant and had trouble ordering all 4 regular covers for #1) but they did give me the ability to pre-order one of those. *fingers crossed* that nothing goes awry.

As an aside, I also pre-ordered the sketch variant of Infestation 2 #1. Can't wait to see them both. The cost for each was $50.

@ Archon: Simply amazing sketches. One of these days, I'm hoping to be able to meet Kevin. I've been really fortunate to acquire my TMNTs 1-4 SS with at least Kevin sigs/sketches and some with Peter as well. It's just great seeing their work--so many good memories. :grin:

@ Orusaki: I understand SS isn't your thing. I'm not a big fan of people getting signatures on the interior cover--why do it if you can't SEE the signature. But I know that if everyone collected what I did and how I did, it'd be a more boring hobby. Heck! I could argue the uber high grade chase can be seen as a form of commodifying and cheapening the hobby. But I have friends here who really get a thrill from breaking that grade barrier. All the more power to 'em I say.

Best advice I can give is holding on to your books is one way to prevent a set of 9.8s from getting signed. :)

Ugh, more CGC 9.8 signatures. Every time Kevin signs a book (and he must have signed a million by now), his signature goes down in value in my opinion since it becomes that less rare.

I really hope someone cracks open one of the signed in marker CGC books in another 10 years and finds that the ink truly did bleed into the "white pages" of the book making it's grade way further down. You either collect a book for signature value, you collect a book to keep pristine and perfect, or you collect it to read. Can't have both or all three in my opinion. I'm happy to know that I already have all the mirage signatures on several items but my CGC 9.8 WP comics will stay just the way they are over the years. Plus I think the signatures just end up hiding that beautiful artwork underneath them.

lol

This post is so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh at it. Besides, Archon Turtle already expressed my sentiments very well, so instead:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01-4thPrintSS.jpg

HappyFaceNeenerNeener.gif

By the way, those Eastman sketches on the blanks are outstanding! Congrats!