• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

I also ordered a few books a couple months ago...and they did not come bagged/boarded and all had bent corners from the envelope they came in. I would have thought they would know better than that. Theit auctions however come shipped in boxes.

Edited by nriccijr

Has anyone ever ordered directly from Mirage Licensing and gotten their order? I was thinking of FCBD TMNT Volume One #1 reprint w/ Fugitoid figure since it comes signed by Peter Laird but it looks like the site hasn't been updated in a while.

I've ordered several times from them, though nothing in the last 12 months. I ordered a decent number of books every time, so they come boxed up. I believe they advertise all their books as "Fine", but mine looked great. They weren't in bags or boards, but they were wrapped in paper and packed so they didn't slide around the box.

These 2 come to mind as I could never find them in nice shape on ebay or at shows. I bought them from Mirage and here's the quality I got:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles46SS.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles47SS.jpg

Of course, your mileage may vary.

It took a few years, but I now finally have all of the TMNT one-shots in 9.8 SS. :banana:

It started with Donatello, which got signed at SDCC 2009. It's signed by Kevin Eastman, Steve Lavigne, and Stan Sakai:

Donatello1SS.jpg

With a little prodding :baiting: , JonJesper listed his Raphael book that was signed and sketched by both Eastman and Laird. I picked it up without thinking twice:

Raphael1SS.jpg

Leonardo came as a surprise wedding present from my gracious buddy, Rich Henn! Thanks again! It's signed by Steve Bissette:

Leonardo1SS.jpg

Fugitoid came in the mail not too long ago. Board member Peasofcrap listed it on ebay and I picked it up. It's signed and sketched by Kevin Eastman:

Fugitoid1SS.jpg

The last one was Michelangelo. I submitted one a year or so ago to be signed but it came back a 9.6. I decided to crack my 9.8 copy to have it signed. With a little luck, I now have this:

Michaelangelo1SS.jpg

This is a reprint, yet CGC doesn't note it on the label? All of the issues with Victor Gorelick in the UPC box were reprints sold years later at Kaybee Toys, just a heads up. The only difference is the Gorelick pic and the indicia on the inside which states second printing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures-1989-1-CGC-9-8-1097011007-/310536674568?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item484d6d9d08&nma=true&si=nDDec0nsf4yx1cS3zT7eTYOgqJE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is a reprint, yet CGC doesn't note it on the label? All of the issues with Victor Gorelick in the UPC box were reprints sold years later at Kaybee Toys, just a heads up. The only difference is the Gorelick pic and the indicia on the inside which states second printing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures-1989-1-CGC-9-8-1097011007-/310536674568?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item484d6d9d08&nma=true&si=nDDec0nsf4yx1cS3zT7eTYOgqJE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Have you seen any CGC graded TMNTA issues that do note the printing in the label? CGC doesn't seem to differentiate between newsstand editions or the printings on these Archie TMNTA comics. Which is odd because the first 12 issues had multiple reprintings and there were multiple issues with both direct market and newsstand covers. While not many TMNTA issues are on their census, they don't list any reprintings that I can find.

You're right that the TMNTA issues with the Gorelick picture are reprints. However, I believe any of the TMNTA issues with the barcode are first print newsstand editions. First print direct market editions don't have the barcode and, in the case of #1, don't have the "1st Edition Collector's Edition" on the cover.

It took a few years, but I now finally have all of the TMNT one-shots in 9.8 SS. :banana:

It started with Donatello, which got signed at SDCC 2009. It's signed by Kevin Eastman, Steve Lavigne, and Stan Sakai:

Donatello1SS.jpg

With a little prodding :baiting: , JonJesper listed his Raphael book that was signed and sketched by both Eastman and Laird. I picked it up without thinking twice:

Raphael1SS.jpg

Leonardo came as a surprise wedding present from my gracious buddy, Rich Henn! Thanks again! It's signed by Steve Bissette:

Leonardo1SS.jpg

Fugitoid came in the mail not too long ago. Board member Peasofcrap listed it on ebay and I picked it up. It's signed and sketched by Kevin Eastman:

Fugitoid1SS.jpg

The last one was Michelangelo. I submitted one a year or so ago to be signed but it came back a 9.6. I decided to crack my 9.8 copy to have it signed. With a little luck, I now have this:

Michaelangelo1SS.jpg

Bravo!! (worship)

Thanks all! Here's another mini-set within volume 1 that I'm happy to have completed. It's one of the best story arcs, too. Return to New York. If you haven't read it, it features Eastman & Laird art, it has another showdown between the Turtles and the Shredder, and it's the source material for some of the first live-action movie.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles19SS.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles20SS.jpgTeenageMutantNinjaTurtles21SS.jpg

#21 was especially tough to get. There are only 2 on the census (the other is a universal 9.0) and I own both. I had a rough time finding anything that wasn't bent, folded, or water damaged. I'm happy to have this one checked off the list. :grin:

Yet more great stuff. I love the RTNY story and these covers are among my favorites from Vol. I.

Funny you mention #21 was HTF in great shape...just last week I found a ton of old TMNT comics in a dollar bin and #21 was among some of the ones missing their covers. (tsk)

That's the artwork the guy on Comic Book Men wanted $20K for. I guess $2K is a steal then.

I'm pretty sure everything on that show is staged and the producers told him to ask for that much.

Good point. That would not surprise me.

That's the artwork the guy on Comic Book Men wanted $20K for. I guess $2K is a steal then.

I'm pretty sure everything on that show is staged and the producers told him to ask for that much.

Good point. That would not surprise me.

eh, it is not staged as far as dialog. they try to keep it as natural as they can for the seller pitch and interaction with the guys. walt and the boys do not know what is coming thru the door with who or what.

at least that is my experience with the producers and show.

I always thought this Turtles piece was a concept piece for an ad in the CBG for Eastman and Laird's appearance at WonderCon in '86 as there is that big Coca Cola sign when you enter the city.

It was one of the better pieces that Kevin was selling on the site last year. But, for less than $2k, you can buy a nice published page from the original first 10 issues.

What Universal CGC's have you got recently, Adam?

I cringe when I see all these CGC Sig Series but I respect why you want them all. I really do. You'll never convince me that these books are going to be still in 9.8 condition by the time the ink runs underneath the pages even in the next 10 years which makes them not as valuable as my pristine 9.8 and higher CGC Universal's. As far as I'm concerned, CGC Sig books are only as valuable as the signature because condition means nothing once you have someone draw on the cover. Tomato, Tomatoe as always.

I think eventually though even CGC will think this way down the road. Every time a book is signed and graded by Eastman or the TMNT team, the value of all the other signed CGC sig Eastman stuff goes down. I love the man to death but his signature is so easy to come by that I really only want it on a few things and that's enough for me. I'd rather collect stuff in Mint condition with no markings or writings.