• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,348 posts in this topic

"I don't want to confirm a CGC number or condition as grading is highly subjective, so please look over the scans carefully before bidding."

Translation: I know it's worth a lot less than I am asking.

Totally! I thought the same thing when I read that. Grading is only "highly" subjective when it's done outside the parameters of a respected grading authority (like he's doing). If he'd get it graded it wouldn't be "highly" subjective (just minimally ;) )

Q: Counterfeit?

There was a great thread about the differences in TMNT #1 printings awhile back. It's a must read if you are in the market to buy.

Here is the link: Ninja Turtles - Differences between printings?

After you read the information you'll want to ask for a close up picture of the cover, the inside front cover, the back cover, and an inside page as well if you are buying a RAW copy. (thumbs u

I typed the information in that thread into a Microsoft Word document (with pics) for myself. If you would like me to send it to you, I'd be happy to. Just PM me your e-mail. (That goes for anyone else too.)

Q: Counterfeit?

There was a great thread about the differences in TMNT #1 printings awhile back. It's a must read if you are in the market to buy.

Here is the link: Ninja Turtles - Differences between printings?

Holy cow man! I've been into Turtles #1 for a while and never knew that! I cannot believe it.

My mind is blown. How can a third print be labeled as a first? This is craziness.

I'm only on page 4 of the 24...must read more! Thank you for the post! (worship)

I don't know how many of you are on the Technodrome Forums but I posted about this same thing over there but thought it was worth a discussion here as well.

Did anyone catch the last episode of "Comic Book Men" on AMC? If not, there are some details here. Basically, TMNT #1-4 made an appearance in a segment.

Most importantly though for collectors and those seeking TMNT #1 1st print, note the following interesting item. During the episode there was a written explanation they showed (as they always do) to explain what the collectible is and its importance. It read something to the effect of, "A graded TMNT #1 1st print recently sold for $20+K." I specifically keyed in to the words they used on this (or didn't use in this case). Note they said it was graded but not what grade. Only TMNT #1 in 9.8 grade has ever sold at that price but they never stated or clarified this. So, this information was put out there (in a very public way) and this could have big implications on the price of TMNT #1 1st print in any condition. It may already have impacted the price given that recent sales of TMNT #1 (both 1st and 2nd printings).

Bottom line...a lot of people just were told that a graded TMNT #1 is worth $20+K.

I don't know how many of you are on the Technodrome Forums but I posted about this same thing over there but thought it was worth a discussion here as well.

Did anyone catch the last episode of "Comic Book Men" on AMC? If not, there are some details here. Basically, TMNT #1-4 made an appearance in a segment.

Most importantly though for collectors and those seeking TMNT #1 1st print, note the following interesting item. During the episode there was a written explanation they showed (as they always do) to explain what the collectible is and its importance. It read something to the effect of, "A graded TMNT #1 1st print recently sold for $20+K." I specifically keyed in to the words they used on this (or didn't use in this case). Note they said it was graded but not what grade. Only TMNT #1 in 9.8 grade has ever sold at that price but they never stated or clarified this. So, this information was put out there (in a very public way) and this could have big implications on the price of TMNT #1 1st print in any condition. It may already have impacted the price given that recent sales of TMNT #1 (both 1st and 2nd printings).

Bottom line...a lot of people just were told that a graded TMNT #1 is worth $20+K.

That reminds me of when I saw a listing on ebay for a copy of X-men #94, clearly in terrible shape. The seller wanted $5,000 for it because comicspriceguide.com listed the issue as worth $8,400 in Gem Mint.

There are a lot of people that think an issue is what it is, and don't understand the importance of condition. Heck, that used to be me until a little over a year ago - when I got back into collecting after a long hiatus and found sites like this. It's laughable now but I can understand it.

:sick:

Maybe it's just me, but I've found these TMNT threads less fun the the last few days/weeks ever since they seem to be all about the price of #1's and nothing else. Of course, if I'm not part of the solution, I may be part of the problem. With that in mind, I'll post a few new additions to my collection over the next few days with the hopes that these threads will get to be the way they were, more about the fun and less about the finances. :wishluck:

I recently got this one back. Ever since I saw this image, I've been waiting for a chance to get both Eastman and Laird to sign it. It's the back cover to issue #15 and there's definitely some cool stuff in it.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles15SSBC96.jpg

For those who don't recognize them, that's Kevin Eastman on the left and Peter Laird on the right. Kevin's working on the cover to the Michelangelo one-shot while Peter is showing off the cover to issue #6. You can also see the cover to the 4th print of issue #1 on the ground just behind Kevin. There's an Alien in the top right corner, a Triceraton drawing on the wall right next to it, and a statue/toy of the Thing on the bookshelf, among a myriad of other things. There's a lot going on in the image and I find myself getting lost just looking all around. I find myself wondering what the "studio" really looked like when they were working on this stuff.

It's the back cover to issue #15 and there's definitely some cool stuff in it

Super awesome Pete! I have never seen that back cover. I wonder if they really had a life size alien statue, or what that is all about :)

Anyone going to see Kevin in New Orleans? I am a little bummed. I wish I could go but it's so far from New York.

:sick:

Maybe it's just me, but I've found these TMNT threads less fun the the last few days/weeks ever since they seem to be all about the price of #1's and nothing else. Of course, if I'm not part of the solution, I may be part of the problem. With that in mind, I'll post a few new additions to my collection over the next few days with the hopes that these threads will get to be the way they were, more about the fun and less about the finances. :wishluck:

I recently got this one back. Ever since I saw this image, I've been waiting for a chance to get both Eastman and Laird to sign it. It's the back cover to issue #15 and there's definitely some cool stuff in it.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles15SSBC96.jpg

For those who don't recognize them, that's Kevin Eastman on the left and Peter Laird on the right. Kevin's working on the cover to the Michelangelo one-shot while Peter is showing off the cover to issue #6. You can also see the cover to the 4th print of issue #1 on the ground just behind Kevin. There's an Alien in the top right corner, a Triceraton drawing on the wall right next to it, and a statue/toy of the Thing on the bookshelf, among a myriad of other things. There's a lot going on in the image and I find myself getting lost just looking all around. I find myself wondering what the "studio" really looked like when they were working on this stuff.

Awesome man! Your SSs never cease to amaze. I've always loved this image as well so kudos!!

Awesome man! Your SSs never cease to amaze. I've always loved this image as well so kudos!!

Thanks, Danny!

If you don't venture into the Signature Room often, you may not have seen this. Believe it or not, this is one of the rare retailer incentive blanks that Eastman owns. He did such a fantastic job recreating the cover to #1...the hatching must have taken FOREVER! I big (worship) goes out to Kevin for doing such an unbelievable job.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01RISketchEastman.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. I'm still in awe of it.

Here's a fun one. It's a special edition comic that was handed out at SDCC this year. It features the new toys from the TMNT cartoon on Nickelodeon arranged as an homage to TMNT #1. Upon closer inspection, it appears that some of the parts of the turtles have been switched around for some random reason. Mike has Don's torso and Leo has Mike's. Raph appears to have the proper torso but is wearing Leo's belt (with sheathes on the back). Don's right arm is also broken so he can achieve the stance of the Donatello on the TMNT 1 cover. I'm not sure why they did all these things, but it's a fun cover nonetheless.

TMNTSpecialEdition1.jpg

Since we have officially turned the corner on Thanksgiving & started the Christmas season, let me be the first to wish all of the shellheads on these boards a very Happy Holidays.

Here is the set as a whole.

TMNT1-1.jpg