• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,381 posts in this topic

Just came back from Shellback Artworks in Wells, ME. I got a chance to hang with Peter Laird, Steve Lavigne and Eric Talbot. They were all great. Nice guys. Signed whatever was put in front of them. Seemed to be having a fun time. Steve's shop is awesome. Highly recommended for FCBD if you can make it.

Alright so here is the recap of my day. Sorry in advance for photo quality.

I got to Jetpack around 9:30. They let us in at 10. Because I chose to make a $25+ purchase I was bumped up to 3rd overall in line. They had a table with ALL Jetpack variants ALL for $5!!! Crazy!! I picked up a bunch of SHOTFC Blanks. Kevin arrived around 10:30. At his table were 3 portfolios....there was some amazing items in there...a lot priced $700-$1K. I picked out 2 more reasonable items:

He had the concept drawings for I think 17-22. I picked 18 because I loved how the green/yellow/orange pop with the blues. It was the only one with any other colors than blue. I also liked it because it was the final concept and closely matches the real cover.

f75177c3-d487-45a3-8af6-7bd5236281c6_zps2181e071.jpg

f97eae3e-8468-46b8-81e7-fe59176c8e20_zpsbd475786.jpg

I also picked up this bad boy:

20130504_151110_zpsc5a8f06b.jpg

So then I met Kevin....he was extremely nice and was doing quick head sketches even though the website said he wouldn't. He took his time and was up for a lot of conversation. Here is what I got signed (they were already signed by all the others):

20130504_150525_zps81f0d527.jpg

20130504_150713_zps89f6641f.jpg

20130504_150722_zpseb059431.jpg

20130504_150914_zpsbe2b47b9.jpg

next I made my way over to Shellback Artworks. I got the following masterpieces there:

A Talbot sketch was one of my grails......

20130504_150845_zps8fb19eda.jpg

It is hard to see but the Laird sketch is in green sharpie and it looks AWESOME!

20130504_150825_zps3cce8238.jpg

20130504_150921_zpsd8b47672.jpg

Edited by nriccijr

Hey guys. Just want to say how great it was to meet all of you that I did. Got to put a face with many of the people I see on these forums. While I'm on that topic, if I met you at the Jetpack FCBD event would you be so kind as to PM me? I want to make sure I properly tie your user name here to the person I met. I literally met and spoke with every single person in line waiting for Kevin and I'm trying to ensure I keep all of you straight. :grin:

I posted all about my FCBD 2013 experiences this weekend on my blog in case you're interested...there are simply too many pictures and details to share here. However, here are a few highlight pictures:

IMG_1178_2-150x130.jpgIMG_1123-150x112.jpgIMG_1117-150x112.jpgIMG_1189-150x112.jpg

Came back from the double signing!

Still in shock, Kevin is the coolest person in the world! I am so happy to have met the artists there. Steve Lavigne, and his store Shellback Artworks... so awesome, any turtle fan will love it there! It's basically like a small Disneyland for us Turtle lovers. Laird is so talented, I love these guys so much!

And... I finally got my grail signed by both creators, now I can die happy!

gb_both.jpg

^^^ Nice !! ^^^ :applause:

That is so awesome! Thanks for letting me take a look at the book when you were coming through the line. When you were with Kevin I saw him writing something but I couldn't see what it was and then got sidetracked during the picture. I wish I'd have thought to have him do a sign like that and take a picture...very clever. I do have pictures of both of them holding the books though so that will suffice. I think Archon had Kevin do a sign similar to that too.

Great meeting you! :hi: You have some great stuff in your collection.

Thanks man! Here's another pic.You can make out a bit of the original art to the right, a HUGE stack of TMNT #1's waiting to get signed on the left, and even a bit of your leg :P

gb.jpg

The sign wasn't my idea, I was in shellshock, Kevin came up with the idea, sort of like Macgyver! I am so happy he was able to verify it!

He had the concept drawings for I think 17-22. I picked 18 because I loved how the green/yellow/orange pop with the blues. It was the only one with any other colors than blue. I also liked it because it was the final concept and closely matches the real cover.

Nice! How much were those concept drawings selling for?

I think Archon had Kevin do a sign similar to that too.

_DSC0098_01pjpeg.jpg

later we had proper COAs drafted though. Particularly because my #1 ended up being the only known error copy, and I wanted to make sure it's authenticity wasn't questioned due to the error.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Turtlemania Special Gold update:

I did a little research and found that #8 and #9 are graded 9.4 and 9.6, so here are the known copies owned by the fanbase:

1/10 - raw

2/10 - raw? seen on recalledcomics.com

4/10 - raw

6/10 - CGC graded 9.2

8/10 - CGC graded 9.4

9/10 - CGC graded 9.6

Of the 4 graded copies, there is 1 more graded 9.2 in the census. Does anyone know the owner of that copy or at least which one of the 10 copies it is?

Is there any way to get the registry number of the 4 graded copies and then verify which one is the other 9.2?

Turtlemania Special Gold update:

I did a little research and found that #8 and #9 are graded 9.4 and 9.6, so here are the known copies owned by the fanbase:

1/10 - raw

2/10 - raw? seen on recalledcomics.com

4/10 - raw

6/10 - CGC graded 9.2

8/10 - CGC graded 9.4

9/10 - CGC graded 9.6

Of the 4 graded copies, there is 1 more graded 9.2 in the census. Does anyone know the owner of that copy or at least which one of the 10 copies it is?

Is there any way to get the registry number of the 4 graded copies and then verify which one is the other 9.2?

The other 9.2 is the 2/10. :cool: