• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,449 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2024 at 7:41 PM, Turtle said:

I got an unexpected surprise today when I was checking my emails over lunch.  I'm reading through the registry award winners to see my Tales of the TMNT set was listed as one of the sets in the Copper Age category.  I did a double-take for sure.  I've had the completed set since 2015 or so and it's only 7 issues long, so it's tiny compared to all the other sets in the list.  I'm happy to help represent the TMNT-side of the community (a great Last Ronin set was also recognized, which is cool!).  Here's a quick group shot:

IMG_6333.thumb.jpg.48742602d4c30e5d7e907324c9791537.jpg

The series has some great early Mirage art and features first appearances for Rat King, Leatherhead, Complete Carnage, and Radical.  Peter Laird has signed 6 of them and Kevin Eastman has signed 3 with Steve Lavigne being on a good chunk of them as well.  Close-up images can be seen on the registry, link in the signature. 

This was a really neat surprise.  It really made my day!

Well earned and those sigs aren't as easy to obtain for all, and glad that these are remembered! I was contemplating that some sigs couldn't get done all at one time and or it would take multiple opportunities for the "same book?" That is dedication for what I presume took time and effort in itself, as well commitment! :x 

On 7/26/2024 at 7:41 PM, Turtle said:

I got an unexpected surprise today when I was checking my emails over lunch.  I'm reading through the registry award winners to see my Tales of the TMNT set was listed as one of the sets in the Copper Age category.  I did a double-take for sure.  I've had the completed set since 2015 or so and it's only 7 issues long, so it's tiny compared to all the other sets in the list.  I'm happy to help represent the TMNT-side of the community (a great Last Ronin set was also recognized, which is cool!).  Here's a quick group shot:

The series has some great early Mirage art and features first appearances for Rat King, Leatherhead, Complete Carnage, and Radical.  Peter Laird has signed 6 of them and Kevin Eastman has signed 3 with Steve Lavigne being on a good chunk of them as well.  Close-up images can be seen on the registry, link in the signature. 

I saw that in the email from CGC - congratulations! I was looking to see any names I recognized and yours popped out at me. Absolutely wonderful set!!

On 7/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, Turtle said:

Great work.

On 7/31/2024 at 1:39 PM, rich_TMNT said:

This book is now correctly listed in the CGC Census! Thanks @CGC Mike for getting this pushed through. :banana:

TMNT 40th_CGC.jpg

I've contacted captured collectibles about this and haven't heard back yet specifically about this issue.

I'll PM them again and see if I can get mine updated too.

Thanks for getting this fixed.

On 7/19/2024 at 6:48 PM, nriccijr said:

Got mine in...9.8 after pressing!

20240719_162300.jpg

So I have a TMNT book like this with Metallic Sharpie sigs that I want to send in to the Stan Sakai CGC signing. The book has a couple of creases that might benefit from a pressing. Do you guys feel it would be a good idea to get the pressing option? Would it damage the current metallic sharpie sigs? Would love the communities opinion. Right now the current sigs are bold and beautiful. I would hate for them to get hurt in the pressing processes, but again I don't know how the process works and if it avoids touching the current sigs. 

On 8/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, eastbayrudy said:

So I have a TMNT book like this with Metallic Sharpie sigs that I want to send in to the Stan Sakai CGC signing. The book has a couple of creases that might benefit from a pressing. Do you guys feel it would be a good idea to get the pressing option? Would it damage the current metallic sharpie sigs? Would love the communities opinion. Right now the current sigs are bold and beautiful. I would hate for them to get hurt in the pressing processes, but again I don't know how the process works and if it avoids touching the current sigs. 

I had mine pressed and it didn't seem to affect the signatures or sharpie brightness. I think you should be safe.

Just a warning to everyone.  Apparently a bunch of pages have flooded the market and they are being wrongly marketed.  I was perusing Anthony and Romitaman's sites as I typically do looking for Eastman and Laird pages and found that they each have what they claim are pages from Fun with Guns (the backup story added to the second print of Raphael #1).  They claim they're original art, but they're not.  In actuality, they're the stets that Michael Dooney made when he worked on Shell Shocked in 89, taking the OA and copying it to then tone the pages for them all to match.  It's why it's signed by Dooney (even though Anthony thinks it's lairds signature apparently).  Given the heft asking prices (anywhere from $4,500-$6,500 per page) I wanted to warn you guys before buying them, since not everyone knows this is not what is being advertised.   

Edited by jaybuck43

Yes, earlier this week, I was messaged about helping authenticate a piece that had been recently bought at SDCC. After getting all the details, I knew what it was immediately and let him know quickly. Which was that it was not an original art page, rather a toning page (no pen, inks). Dooney afterwards confirmed as much. Last I knew, he was seeking a refund, as the toning page is worth a fraction of what he spent. 

I will say, I personally don't think anything nefarious was going on by the dealers. Early TMNT art in general is so scarce, but honestly, I have seen MUCH more original art pages, and even blue line pages, than I have toning pages. In fact, I'd wager most collectors have never had a toning page in their hands ever. When looking at scans only, can be hard to tell the difference. They can be convincingly similar to an OA page, moreso if the toning pages are still in good condition as these recent ones are. So I could see how even a dealer might think they are the real deal. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. 

That said, they need to be sold going forward as to what they really are. There is still value there... Probably less that of blue lines but more than cover flats and other production materials. They are a neat part of the historical production process. They just are worth anywhere near the current asking IMO. 

Edited by TMNT

On 8/10/2024 at 10:03 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

Added to my jam today at Lehigh Valley Comic Con

Michelangelo with pizza by Sarah Myer

Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 10.04.36 PM.png

I didn't know any other boardies would be there.  I'd have said hi!

On 8/20/2024 at 5:10 AM, cgcsketcherz said:

I would have as well. What are the odds of two registry winners in the same year in the same small convention? I had the Ghostbusters Ninja turtle t-shirt.

I was one of the 6 people in Sarah Myers' TMNT panel.  lol  Panel turnout wasn't great, but it was interesting and it was easy to get a good seat.  She's got a ton of passion for the TMNT.