• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

I'm selling off the whole of my DC collection (Marvel to go later), usually bit by bit on Ebay when I get the time and the next to go are the Batman and Detective books so if anybody wants any more info just PM me.

Well, I think there is a definite genuine interest in the idea so it's just a matter of how to go about it. An official place on the boards is obviously down to Arch and the mods to decide and there are concerns about possible resentment from some board members. Since we can't do anything about that until there is some kind of communication from Arch, we should probably focus on our other two current suggestions.

A group PM is a possibility and is certainly workable. The boards PM system is very user friendly. The PM could be a bit cramped though.

The Comicopolis forum is another possibility. There is a lot more space to operate there and we wouldn't have to worry about treading in the toes of CGC. Adam has the problem of is work PC blocking the site though and some people may not like the idea of checking out a separate forum. (I do however recommend signing up to the Comicopolis forum anyway, it's a very friendly and relaxed UK based forum and a few of us in this thread have been members for some time).

I think a poll may be worthwhile to get an idea of which way the opinion is going. PM vs Comicopolis and you can vote for both.

I still like the idea of using both. I think I would sell on the Comicopolis boards with the view of linking to it in any PM thread. I also think you can try and sell on these boards with a link in the threads that alerts all UK boardies to the thread but like Nick says doesn't limit your market if yo have a high value book.

Sounds good to me, I can't see any reason why any of us can't use a combination of PM and Comicopolis forum. (thumbs u

Im up for this too. Keeps everyone in and happy.

I voted for both - I just won't be able to use Comicopolis during the working day unless I can figure a way round our firewall...

Use the site during the night, that's when all of the chicks are on.

i tried this gaz, loads of modern sets, feel i just wasted hours of my life and the UK boardies probably never saw it, now if we had a round PM i may have some success

That's all you need to do.

So long as the UK guys are aware through a group PM, why cut down on potential buyers?

i tried this gaz, loads of modern sets, feel i just wasted hours of my life and the UK boardies probably never saw it, now if we had a round PM i may have some success

That's all you need to do.

So long as the UK guys are aware through a group PM, why cut down on potential buyers?

Exactly what I am trying to say. I think it's a good idea if we didn't all just rely on a group PM. A mixture of CGC, Comicopolis and Group PM will get the best coverage for you sales. Obviously it can't be both Comicopolis and CGC at the same time, but it can be Group PM and one of the others.

I'm selling off the whole of my DC collection (Marvel to go later), usually bit by bit on Ebay when I get the time and the next to go are the Batman and Detective books so if anybody wants any more info just PM me.

I may add that I am looking to sell huge chunks of my collection, as well (Pm's welcome). I want to try and finance the purchase of one, or 2, major books and stream line my collecting focus to just a few books rather than 1000's.

Just trying to figure out how best to go about it. I just don't have the time to individually sell on e-bay or scan every book etc :cry:

I may add that I am looking to sell huge chunks of my collection, as well. I want to try and finance the purchase of one, or 2, major books and stream line my collecting focus to just a few books rather than 1000's.

Just trying to figure out how best to go about it. I just don't have the time to individually sell on e-bay or scan every book etc :cry:

Wouldn't the monthly London show be worth doing for this? As it's mostly the same sellers each month, wouldn't they be all over somebody new?

I may add that I am looking to sell huge chunks of my collection, as well. I want to try and finance the purchase of one, or 2, major books and stream line my collecting focus to just a few books rather than 1000's.

Wouldn't the monthly London show be worth doing for this? As it's mostly the same sellers each month, wouldn't they be all over somebody new?

I have actually considered this. Tables aren't that expensive either (£50 for a centre table, £55 for a wall table), although I can image business could be slow. I went every month for over a year a while back and unfortunately the stock levels werent great and the punters were few.

I have actually considered this. Tables aren't that expensive either (£50 for a centre table, £55 for a wall table), although I can image business could be slow. I went every month for over a year a while back and unfortunately the stock levels werent great and the punters were few.

I'd give it a try. If you've got cheap books, the punters (who are almost entirely bottom feeders) will definitely take an interest.

Being a bottom feeder as Andy so eloquently puts it I think Marts are the way to go.

Pile em high and sell em cheap to the mostly smelly people. Self not included of course. (tsk)

Being a bottom feeder as Andy so eloquently puts it I think Marts are the way to go.

Pile em high and sell em cheap to the mostly smelly people. Self not included of course. (tsk)

I never said they were smelly. ;)

I guess the remark was a bit unfair, but customers these days at the Royal National just don't seem to be spending, which is understandable given the current situation. I've got 20 - 30 long boxes of 50p / £1 comics, but I'm too lazy to take them to shows.

I guess the remark was a bit unfair, but customers these days at the Royal National just don't seem to be spending, which is understandable given the current situation. I've got 20 - 30 long boxes of 50p / £1 comics, but I'm too lazy to take them to shows.

Well, I guess that's where this PM/boards/Comicopolis combination could really come into its own...

+1, but I am checking comic mart out next week for the 1st time

You didn't have to we could smell them :sick::)

I think most people's spending habits have had to change. It's only a lucky few that can spend big on their hobby these days.

That said I'm a big fan of the 50p/£1 boxes as you can pick up some good reads that you wouldn't have otherwise.

If the price is right most comics will shift at a mart.

You'll love it when I get to do a show or two later in the year then, I'm compiling 20p and 50p boxes with buy 5 and get 1 free signs.

I think most people's spending habits have had to change. It's only a lucky few that can spend big on their hobby these days.

That said I'm a big fan of the 50p/£1 boxes as you can pick up some good reads that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Definitely. There are as many people turning up at the National as ever, so the traffic (and the turnover) is still decent.

Definitely. There are as many people turning up at the National as ever, so the traffic (and the turnover) is still decent.

It's been a while since I've made a trek down to the National. Will probably check it out agin when fellow boarders have a table. Chance to pick up the odd bargain and give moral support while they dealt with the great unwashed hordes.

Andy :foryou:

Marts are still good to get rid of drek I reckon. Lots of people still have fillers that are too expensive with postage to get individually online.

For instance: if I need a copy of say Hulk 312 - it's not worth £2.50 to me even in NM but I don't mind paying 50p for a fine copy at a mart.

What you need to do is find a fellow boardie who has lots to sell and buy in bulk - arsenalhead (worship)

Edited by nmtg9

Marts are still good to get rid of drek I reckon. Lots of people still have fillers that are too expensive with postage to get individually online.

For instance: if I need a copy of say Hulk 312 - it's not worth £2.50 to me even in NM but I don't mind paying 50p for a fine copy at a mart.

What you need to do is find a fellow boardie who has lots to sell and buy in bulk - arsenalhead (worship)

Yes, or...

...respond to the group PM with a summary of what you've got available (or a link to a sales thread here or on Comicopolis or elsewhere) and ask for expressions of interest!

I for one would be keen to hear of cheapo runs of reading copies for sale (thumbs u

Your making me blush