• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unrestored Action 1 to be in next comicconnect auction

878 posts in this topic

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go lower that a lot of the estimates being thrown around. Once you get up into the "funny money" prices you're running into people who have the dough to get a better copy. There's not a linear relation between grade & price. $80K for a 2.0 may be the best copy someone can afford. It's hard to make that relationship once you get over 1/4 mil. Especially at auction.

Are you going to want to be the guy who sets a record for a copy that may not even be in the top 10 existing?

On the contrary, a blue label UNRESTORED Action 1 certainly is in the TOP 10 of all copies [not just the graded] Probably number 6 or 7 of all copies.

and even outside of my own opinion Dave Anderson [who owns the best copy and has owned more Action 1s than all of us in totality told me that the 6.5 I have is the 5th highest graded of all copies [currently # 3 on the cgc census.]

Note;// Not all the Blue Labels on the census are Unrestored.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go lower that a lot of the estimates being thrown around. Once you get up into the "funny money" prices you're running into people who have the dough to get a better copy. There's not a linear relation between grade & price. $80K for a 2.0 may be the best copy someone can afford. It's hard to make that relationship once you get over 1/4 mil. Especially at auction.

Are you going to want to be the guy who sets a record for a copy that may not even be in the top 10 existing?

On the contrary, a blue label UNRESTORED Action 1 certainly is in the TOP 10 of all copies [not just the graded] Probably number 6 or 7 of all copies.

and even outside of my own opinion Dave Anderson [who owns the best copy and has owned more Action 1s than all of us in totality told me that the 6.5 I have is the 5th highest graded of all copies [currently # 3 on the cgc census.]

A1 Kid: To the best of your knowledge, and that of the Dentist's, how many Action 1's are out there, on or off census --- could it be less than 50 as generally believed??

(I bet this thread keeps going strong right up to and well past the auction of this book!!)

FISH

Thats a good question which is kinda hard to get a handle on since the census has been around a very short time. I can tell you this, Unrestored Action 1s in general are Gerber 8s[[ if I can use that as a Benchmark]] Unrestored Action 1s OVER 4.5 are Gerber 9s and over 6.0 Gerber 10s, meaning that there are probably only 5 or so copies better than the Metro copy if it scores a 6.0,and thats of all copies

close! $200,000
yes, but that action 4.0 looked 6.0 or better, and was downgraded due to the puncture in the cover that was not readily visible (thumbs u

I am thinking in the $300K range if a 5.5 or so :wishluck:

Rick, you know I love you, but I must say lol lol lol lol lol:foryou:

...if it's only double that, I would be a little suprised

steve-o, let's make a little private side wager as to who gets closer to the actual price :baiting:

your on! ( and was just thinking of you,,,,,and then you posted this hm )

I say if it's a 5.5 or 6.0, that $600k is closer to the hammer price then $300k.

whadda' you want to bet, 'eh? (shrug)

I gotta agree with Rick on this one...in fact, I may even be more conservative.

The economy is the worst its been in 60+ years, and even in the rarified air of Action # 1 collecting, anyone with a quarter to half a million dollars to burn, can surely find something more liquid to stash all that cash into.

If this was 2007, or maybe even early 2008, I think the possibility of two bidders pushing the book to the half mil mark was a possibility. Now? Not so much....

close! $200,000
yes, but that action 4.0 looked 6.0 or better, and was downgraded due to the puncture in the cover that was not readily visible (thumbs u

I am thinking in the $300K range if a 5.5 or so :wishluck:

Rick, you know I love you, but I must say lol lol lol lol lol:foryou:

...if it's only double that, I would be a little suprised

steve-o, let's make a little private side wager as to who gets closer to the actual price :baiting:

I say if it's a 5.5 or 6.0, that $600k is closer to the hammer price then $300k.

I gotta agree with Rick on this one...in fact, I may even be more conservative.

The economy is the worst its been in 60+ years, and even in the rarified air of Action # 1 collecting, anyone with a quarter to half a million dollars to burn, can surely find something more liquid to stash all that cash into.

If this was 2007, or maybe even early 2008, I think the possibility of two bidders pushing the book to the half mil mark was a possibility. Now? Not so much....

Well the recession certainly hasnt effected the appreciation of the much more common A.F 15.....

Also consider that a 6.0 blue label action 1 for sale is a once in every 10 year event..Its not gonna happen again. Youve gotta put a handle on how rare this book is. It is incredibly rare! It will be recession resistant..Its the Honus wagner of comics.It will score big recession or not !

I think the difference between a 5.5 and a 6.5 on this book would be vast. I think a 5.5 would have a hard time at $300,000. A 6.5? A new record holder, recession or no recession.

it will be exciting to watch... I will be in it for a bit, but how far, tough to say hm

Can I get in on this "action" also?

Kind of reminds me of all the excitement when Heritage had their copy last year, that everyone was convinced would top $175K (because such-and-such big spenders were at least going to that level).

If the book is a 5.5 there is no way it will get anywhere near $600K.

There is just such a world of difference between it "should" be worth x amount because a 4.0 sold for $195K and actually being willing and able to spend $600K on a mid-grade book (albeit the higher end of mid-grade).

Kind of reminds me of all the excitement when Heritage had their copy last year, that everyone was convinced would top $175K (because such-and-such big spenders were at least going to that level).

There is just such a world of difference between it "should" be worth x amount because a 4.0 sold for $195K and actually being willing and able to spend $600K on a mid-grade book (albeit the higher end of mid-grade).

if I recall, I hit the price on the restored action right on the head... in fact, Schomy still owes me that steak dinner !

if I recall, I hit the price on the restored action right on the head... in fact, Schomy still owes me that steak dinner !

BS...I paid up in Chi town...you dork!!!!

Restored is a totally different animal and the same buyers who would be willing to pay up big time for a blue label might not be interested at all in a PLOD.

Of course, all this discussion about what the Action #1 will sell for on CC could be moot depending on what the reserve will be.

Did Dave list the best copies for you, in his opinion?

Maybe there'll be no reserve and I can win it for like $50. That would be really exciting in its own way, right?

That`s the theory, but the reality is that no reserve actions usually drive the highest prices. I`ve never figured out why so many consignors don`t understand that and end up choosing high reserves which, in my opinion, usually end up hurting the bidding.

Maybe there'll be no reserve and I can win it for like $50. That would be really exciting in its own way, right?

That`s the theory, but the reality is that no reserve actions usually drive the highest prices. I`ve never figured out why so many consignors don`t understand that and end up choosing high reserves which, in my opinion, usually end up hurting the bidding.

True dat. No reserve is the way to go if you want maximum sale price for books

BS...I paid up in Chi town...you dork!!!!

He did - Wednesday night and you weren't even drinking :baiting:

Getting my $51 bid ready :sumo:

Realistically I'm out at the potential levels being discussed here.

Success in selling this Action is going to be very dependant on the marketing as at the levels discussed there are only a few bidders (if any) that could bid with short notice.