• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Wolverine really become popular??
2 2

356 posts in this topic

So when did X-men #133 and Wolverine Mini #1 come out in relation to one another? That is a big factor in decided who made who.

spring 1980 vs. fall 1982

the byrne run on x-men was long over by the time the wolvie mini came out

Sweet to read all those clips. Great thread, I love reading about how a character was developed over time, especially Wolvie who is becoming one of my favorite characters :headbang: I always thought he had that "cool" factor but really hadn't read much of him or delved into his origins.

Don't forget X-men 162. While 133 and 141 were cornerstones to his coming ubber popularity, which culminated in the Miniseries, I think 162 was his first solo book. As I recall it was the first time he mentions his "Bezerker" animal part of him. To me this really made him stand out as an anti-hero and not the whiner he was under the Claremont era as well as other whining superhero's that seemed to define marvel during the 70's.

Spiderman: Whiner since day one.

Iron Man: I'm a drunk feel sorry for me.

FF: Woe is me, I'm trapped in a rock body.

Silver Surfer: Earth people just can't be nice to each other, boo hoo.

Captain America: America just isn't what it was during the war. (tears up)

Power-man: I'm Black and the man has kept me down long enough

She Hulk, Ms Marvel, Spiderwoman: Who says the weaker sex is subordinate, maybe if I beat up on enough men, I'll feel better about myself. Vote for the ERA!

Wanda: The world just doesn't understand, I'm in love with an android.

X-men: The world just doesn't understand, I'm a mutant and different from everyone else.

Hulk: Why won't puny humans just leave Hulk alone, boo hoo.

Black Bolt:

Wolverine: I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't pretty.

Question, when did this quote (or derivative) first appear?

Edited by ft88

Wolverine was never very popular with my friends and I until the Claremont-Byrne run on X-Men. The first X-Men issues we read off the stands were the mid-'70s reprints, and Cyclops was--hands down--the coolest X-Man, and (to us at least) one of the cooler characters in the entire Marvel universe. There was just something about the costume, the visor, the eye beams, etc., that put him over the top for the 10 year-old comic kids at West Creek Hills Elementary School, ca. 1975.

I remember seeing the "new" X-Men for the first time at a friend's house (maybe around #96 or so?), and thinking "wow...these characters kinda suck." But a few years later, we were all crazy about the Byrne stuff...and Wolverine.

Edited by mikeyriffhard

Don't forget X-men 162. While 133 and 141 were cornerstones to his coming ubber popularity, which culminated in the Miniseries, I think 162 was his first solo book. As I recall it was the first time he mentions his "Bezerker" animal part of him. To me this really made him stand out as an anti-hero and not the whiner he was under the Claremont era as well as other whining superhero's that seemed to define marvel during the 70's.

Spiderman: Whiner since day one.

Iron Man: I'm a drunk feel sorry for me.

FF: Woe is me, I'm trapped in a rock body.

Silver Surfer: Earth people just can't be nice to each other, boo hoo.

Captain America: America just isn't what it was during the war. (tears up)

Power-man: I'm Black and the man has kept me down long enough

She Hulk, Ms Marvel, Spiderwoman: Who says the weaker sex is subordinate, maybe if I beat up on enough men, I'll feel better about myself. Vote for the ERA!

Wanda: The world just doesn't understand, I'm in love with an android.

X-men: The world just doesn't understand, I'm a mutant and different from everyone else.

Hulk: Why won't puny humans just leave Hulk alone, boo hoo.

Black Bolt:

Wolverine: I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't pretty.

Question, when did this quote (or derivative) first appear?

(thumbs u

That`s why I enjoy Wolverine and Deadpool, two superheroes who don`t whine,if I had superpowers,I have fun with them,not woe is me.One reason why I got sick of most of the mutant books,always feeling sorry for themselves.

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

Yes, that was a "whoa!" moment in the life of Wolverine.

Here's some that I remember being watershed moments, and I posted these before in another Wolvie thread:

That's a great selection of Wolverine moments. Those panels have been permanently burned into my memory for around thirty years.

I have this vague memory of dicussing Wolverine as a kid and somebody saying "Wolverine is cool because he kills people." I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was a kid that I didn't think read comics much that said it and remember being surprised that he even knew who Wolverine was. It would have been pre-mini series, sometime during the Byrne run.

IIRC the mini-series took place story-wise between X-Men 168 and 172 or thereabouts.

I thought the Havok/Wolverine mini was magnificent.

I guess if you have a boner for Trollerine, it was fine. doh!

I thought it was brilliant. Wolverine looked like I imagined him to.