• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nightly News has Obama comic story

29 posts in this topic

Just watched the nightly news tonight and right at the end of the program they talked about the Obama comic is in its 4th printing and could be the highest printed comic in the last 15 years. That was there feel good story for today. So anyone who sells new retail, is it really selling that well? How may copies has your store sold through counting all the printings?

Speculators who have no clue. If Obama policies fails and he goes after 4 years, this issue will be all over the place for cheap.

I personally do not want this issue, and I do not see the appeal for it. and the only way I would bother putting this into my collection is if someone gave it to me.

Speculators who have no clue. If Obama policies fails and he goes after 4 years, this issue will be all over the place for cheap.

I personally do not want this issue, and I do not see the appeal for it. and the only way I would bother putting this into my collection is if someone gave it to me.

Yes, you wonder if the Obama bandwagon will still be rolling if the economy stays flat for a couple more years.....

Ah stop yer gripin, people are happy, people are walking into comic stores, there is hope in the air. Enjoy it. Who cares if it sells or not in 2 months. Comics are on the news, be happy. I wish Obama would invade Canada and bring us a little hope...

nice a fellow Montrealer on these boards! i also agree, if this means more people are in comic shops buying comics especially spider-man comics, it encourages browth for the industry and more comics sell, it makes it more mainstream, so be happy it even made the news, all advertisement is good advertisement. Its just like people complaining that people are only buying watchmen because of the movie, and if the movie sucks it will all be for nothing and that their all bandwagon jumpers but the way i see it is that it brings people into comic stores gets them to read the material and starts them off in a good direction.

nice a fellow Montrealer on these boards! i also agree, if this means more people are in comic shops buying comics especially spider-man comics, it encourages browth for the industry and more comics sell, it makes it more mainstream, so be happy it even made the news, all advertisement is good advertisement. Its just like people complaining that people are only buying watchmen because of the movie, and if the movie sucks it will all be for nothing and that their all bandwagon jumpers but the way i see it is that it brings people into comic stores gets them to read the material and starts them off in a good direction.

My only complaint is that I have a long running collection of ASM that is now missing this one book because people wanted to make a buck from it. It's just wrong. The very next issue didn't sell at all in our LCS. And I've stuck through the whole One More Day business up to the Obama issue. I will end up buying it, but not for Obama or the current ridiculous prices. In most cases, the buyers (at least here) had no interest in the comic at all. Frankly, if I had a store, any unrecognized "buyer" wouldn't have been able to buy the book (especially those that were standing in line before the store opened). Our LCS made it even worse, they raised the price of the book to $20 as it hit the shelf.

On the flip side, I think it's great about Watchmen. Go grab those TPBs. Better to be informed before the movie comes out.

Pat

The first printng variant is probably the only book that is gong to hold any value and that value will probably be $20 or less in the future. I had a chance to buy but I passed because the art work inside sucks and its just a fad. Most I would pay for a first printing of the variant is $10 max.

As for the watchman tpb I would save your money and pass on that too. That book is a hard and boring read and I got to like chapter 5 before I gave it back to a friend. I will just wait for the movie.

As for the watchman tpb I would save your money and pass on that too. That book is a hard and boring read and I got to like chapter 5 before I gave it back to a friend. I will just wait for the movie.

BLASPHEMY!!! :sumo:

Someone needs to knock on this dudes head and exclaim "McFly"

Banned much?

lol

Yeah, guess I need to be careful with politically themed comments. I'm not backing down, though.... if the economy doesn't turn around, sentiment towards Obama may not remain so positive. It's human nature. The demand for the book would subsequently tumble.

The other question is: Can any B+M store owners comment on whether the book has driven non-comic readers into stores?

Do you want to be that person to knock on my head. Its called an opinion in which it took me 5 chapters of boring drag on reading to come too that conclusion. I am not the only person to feel this way since we have discussed this in other threads too.

Just because I do not like something does not garner your insult.

Do you want to be that person to knock on my head. Its called an opinion in which it took me 5 chapters of boring drag on reading to come too that conclusion. I am not the only person to feel this way since we have discussed this in other threads too.

You are entitled to your opinion. But in the larger scheme of things, a dislike of the Watchmen is far in the minority. Not sure it's the best advice to give.

Pat

You are entitled to your opinion. But in the larger scheme of things, a dislike of the Watchmen is far in the minority. Not sure it's the best advice to give.

Pat

Its not a total dislike. I skipped through the book and such and read the end. I just found that the story dragged on and that the little stores in between each chapter also made the book drag on even more. As for beng a minority I don't know about that. I have seen alot of people agree with me and even some that own the book agree that it does drag on.

There's nothing wrong with disliking watchmen, i for one love it, but i can definately understand that many would find it a bit dry and get sort of put off by the ending and the supplementary material at the end of each chapter so Whisp's opinion is definately valid. And i also beleive that he would probobly enjoy the movie much more, than the book as it has to pick up the pace by virtue of being 2 hours and 45 minutes.

There has been times when I have enjoyed the books more then the movies. For example the Wanted series was a very good read but I did not enjoy the movie as much. I agree I will probably enjoy the Watchmen movie more.

Pat

Its not a total dislike. I skipped through teh book and such and read the end. I just found that the story dragged on and that the little stores in between each chapter also made the book drag on even more. As for beng a minority I don't know about that. I have seen alot of people agree with me and even some that own teh book agree that it does drag on.

Got the hardback trade as a Christmas present. I enjoyed the whole book, but yes it doesn't zoom along---which I didn't mind. I like a little variety in my comic book reading, and it's a shame that more books aren't chalk full of words.

Soon, there'll be no words for the ol eyeballs and we'll be getting our comics telepathically. :insane::grin:hm