• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM nº300 vs nº238...who wins?

34 posts in this topic

To everyone

It seems these 2 puppies have getting hotter and hotter, while nº300 is still slightly ahead, nº238 (with tatooz,lol) is getting near and near of the nº300 value.

Are these some possible candidates to the status of semi-key modern age comics?

Since the spidey saga promises to have norman's son continuing the goblin legacy it might have some impact....

These 2 comics were at less than half their current value just 4 years ago...

Venom brought me to comics, but I think 238 will eventually pass it. My guess is for the simple fact there are less of them.

#300 is about the only comic I have paid attention to as far as price fluctuation. It was a big deal to me considering I had to bag a whole lot of groceries to buy it. It has one heck of a bipolar personality and I expect for it to start going back down in price soon.

I think I paid $35 for 300. I got 238 about the same time for $5.

In my opinion its 238. Many people around my age (29-35ish) hated Mcfarlane's run, while they glorify the hobgoblin saga. I think that era of collectors is probably the last real money droppers and there are less 238's, but not by too large a margin. I think venom & hobby have both run their course as active viable characters, so now its all down to nostalgia and $$$. I think the 300 will always have a good amount of value, but i think 238 is the better book.

While both are key issues of ASM, and I am tempted to give the slight edge to ASM 300 for being the Venom intro AND a double-sized anniversary edition, I will stick to my guns and say that 238 is the better key NOW simply because it is a sentimental favourite and one of the best villain introduction issues ever. Add the tattooz factor to the mix and it is a much tougher book to get in high grade.

BUT a Spider-Man movie with Venom in it is likely to happen if the series keeps going, which is very probable. Hobby, even if it is Harry in the suit in Spider-Man 3, is still derivative of the original Green Goblin. So I'm of two minds about it.

So my FINAL verdict - look for high grade ASM 238s with the Tattooz, as there are probably fewer of them out there and it's a great key to hold on to in high grade. BUT if you can find nice high grade copies of the much more available ASM300 I would pick them up (if the price is right) as those puppies will be hotter than the Demogoblin's bad breath if Venom makes the leap to the big screen in 2006 or 2008 (and is done well)... and by hot, I mean stratospherically hot and will leave ASM238 in the dust. ASM300 has the potential to be the modern (or whatever age it ends up being called) equivalent of Hulk181.

Kev

ASM 300 hands down...but why the sudden interest? Did you come across these particular issues in that Marvel Bronze and Silver deep multiple run high grade collection with key issues from the Paris collector who was selling them at #0 - 40% off NM guide? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, I sent you my prices on silver ASM I had for sale after all those PMs and I never got an answer? Too high? 893frustrated.gif

i love both of those issues,but i agree with darth becuse i think venom is one of the best super villians spidey has ever faced.when they do the movie with venom whether its 3 or 4 that book will take off.i can just imagine all of the toys and everything else that will come out.just look at all the press when the ultimate venom came out.i just hope they do not have venom look as silly as the green goblin did in the movie his outfit was terrible imho. tongue.gif

anything for you g-baby! Although at mid-grade and priced near guide, I don'tknow if there is much flipping room left in there for you...Kermit was looking I think for something similar to the Parisian discount of 20%- 30% guide that he received confused-smiley-013.gif

24 CGC 6.5 COW $100

28 VG/FN (sub crease) = $125

51 FN+ (date stamp on Kingpin's white jacket) = $90

58 VF+ $90

59 FN+ $55

73 GD- $5

86 VG+ $15

90 GD $8

90 VG+ $20

95 FN/VF $30

101 VG $30

102 VG $22

anything for you g-baby! Although at mid-grade and priced near guide, I don'tknow if there is much flipping room left in there for you...Kermit was looking I think for something similar to the Parisian discount of 20%- 30% guide that he received confused-smiley-013.gif

24 CGC 6.5 COW $100

28 VG/FN (sub crease) = $125

51 FN+ (date stamp on Kingpin's white jacket) = $90

58 VF+ $90

59 FN+ $55

73 GD- $5

86 VG+ $15

90 GD $8

90 VG+ $20

95 FN/VF $30

101 VG $30

102 VG $22

thanks DD...was hoping for a bit higher....like 8.0 or better. but thanks.

I have both issues in CGC 9.4, not that a 9.4 is considered that high a grade in most peoples opinions. I hope they both continue to do well especially considering the prices I paid. I have to admit I am partial to #300 since it was the first decent comic book I bought in the early 90's. popcorn.gif

BTW, I sent you my prices on silver ASM I had for sale after all those PMs and I never got an answer? Too high?

Sorry for the lack of replying, but you only reply to me after several weeks (or months,lol) of my request. And i had to send you several mails too, 27_laughing.gif. smirk.gif

Indeed they were high imho, but that's my point of view + my budget. grin.gif

Regarding your curiousness about the big colls. the deals are being made, i'll let you know something if you like.

58 VF+ $90

59 FN+ $55

Just got the above issues on the VF range at 15$ each one...it's longer to do this way (buying from here and there) but you end up saving a lot of money. And it's a lot more fun too. smile.gif

Also:

X-Men nº52 VF+ 11$

nº43-45 VF/NM 44$ for the lot

Nice buyings being made... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pedro.

I'm hearing that the Parisian was looking closer to 75% of NM guide on any single issues he sold, regardless of grade

You must hear pretty well since he doesn't use internet or drop by around here, 27_laughing.gif. 893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

And with long time readers you can get sometimes great deals...

Thanks anyway for the reply/list you've sent me.

Regards, Pedro.

I would choose 238 because the book is a personal favorite of mine and IMHO one of the best ASM covers of all time.

300 on the other hand has one of the worst covers. Now, if Venom was on the cover of 300, I'm betting its value would be far greater.

I dont know what you're talking about man, 300 has a kick azz cover! Of course so does 238. I think 300 is the book to own though. Venom has been and still is a far more popular and recognizable character than Hobgoblin. The Hobgoblin run was excellent, but Venom has been a mainstay for 15 or so years now with multiple series of his own. Hobgoblin is nowhere to be seen and hasn't been around for quite some time now. The McFarlane art is a big plus as well, despite the many people who hate him.

I dont know what you're talking about man, 300 has a kick azz cover!

In terms of first appearances, a character shot is preferable (and, all things being equal, is inherently more valuable) than a generic cover.

Since ASM 238 has that in spades, it allows the book to be even put in the same breath as 300. If Venom had been on the cover, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I'm a 238 man myself. Love Romita's artwork and the whole mid-80s Spidey...between 200-250. Fave story? "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" I get goosebumps everytime I re-read it.

I enjoyed the McFarlane Spidey run, but I look back at as a whole and it just doesn't do anything for me...That whole late 80s Spidey was just the beginning of the speculator boom that almost killed the industry.. frown.gif