• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Umm, I bought a low grade pile and look what I found

25 posts in this topic

A guy had a pile of about 100 low grade silver that I offered $2 a piece for.

:gossip:He told me he had old Showcase with Flash on the cover. Could it be #4? NO!

In the pile I found an ASM 122 with a loose cf :pullhair:, but more importantly I found this:

Yes, I got this for $2 :acclaim: #8

showcase80001.jpg

:gossip:He told me he had old Showcase with Flash on the cover. Could it be #4? NO!

In the pile I found an ASM 122 with a loose cf :pullhair:, but more importantly I found this:

:applause:

Nice find :applause:

I must begin going to garage sales hm

showcase80001.jpg

How much is a book like that worth in low grade?

Hit and miss with garage sales. Nowadays it seems its just all 90s garbage.

Yeah, that's always been the way it is -- although it's all relative of course. When I was a kid and starting to actively collect older stuff in the mid-70's, my mom was a serious garage sale and flea market goer, and so I was able to scour my area for old comics pretty thoroughly that way.

A few things stick out in my mind about it -- you almost NEVER found 12 cent marvels that way, at that time. They always got picked over and scooped up fast. That's what I wanted at the time, and I'd almost reluctantly "settle" for 12 cent Superman and Batman -- which seemed to be everywhere at the time.

I'd happily pick up almost anything with a 10 cent cover also, aside from funny animal or humor books. A ten cent DC or pre-hero Marvel was a rare prize, but STILL more easily obtained than early Silver Marvel superhero.

also worth noting -- in all those years, I don't think I saw a single golden age superhero book at a garage sale or flea market. mid-50's at earliest.

Hit and miss with garage sales. Nowadays it seems its just all 90s garbage.

Yeah, that's always been the way it is -- although it's all relative of course. When I was a kid and starting to actively collect older stuff in the mid-70's, my mom was a serious garage sale and flea market goer, and so I was able to scour my area for old comics pretty thoroughly that way.

A few things stick out in my mind about it -- you almost NEVER found 12 cent marvels that way, at that time. -- in all those years, I don't think I saw a single golden age superhero book at a garage sale or flea market. mid-50's at earliest.

This was exactly my experience: mid-70's, grandma was an avid flea market/yard saler, same kinds of finds. My best ever scores were a box of about 500 mid-1950s Topps cards for $2, and a nice Beatles butcher cover.

It's funny that someone mentioned 12centers, and how you never see them in flea markets, etc, even yeras ago. It's funny because this small lot I obtained was mostly 12 cent marvels.

Scouring differnt venues for buying "old" books, 99% of what I see is 90's .

Going to throw this book in the grading forum, if anyone wants to chime in.

$2 bucks well spent!! There was a guy here in Arkansas a few years back that went into an estate sale and they had a pile of comics at $4 each. He pulled out a VG+ Showcase 22. There were some other key books as well..about 5 or 6 he got for $4 each. But the Showcase 22 is the one I recall. All were in the VG range though.

Bargains are still to be had...but who's gonna be the lotto winner? (shrug)

Thanks for posting your find. It gives us hope. :wishluck:

In 1984 I bought a box of comics from my brother's 5th grade teacher. They were all good - vg and we came away with 70 books for 35.00.

B*B 28

Superman 100

and a few other keys. All DC Silverage superhero.

Too bad that here in Portugal we don't have garage sales-_-

I doubt I could find any american comic even if we had...

Europe sucks:P

Well, we have things called car boot sales in the UK but you never ever see comics at them.