• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlton Sci-Fi

156 posts in this topic

This thread needs some love...anyone have some nice Charltons to post?

In the meantime, here is a link to a really interesting article on Charlton monster comics -- Gorgo, Konga, Reptilicus(saurs) -- that I saw on the Ditko-L Yahoo list.

http://scan.net.au/scan/journal/display.php?journal_id=131

and here is an intro for the above article from the Schultz Library blog...

http://schulzlibrary.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/steve-ditkos-konga-the-lonely-one/

I feel a little awkward replying to my own post (kind of like sitting by yourself at a movie), but any-who, I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this Charlton/Konga/Gorgo/Ditko article...anyone?

I did indeed learn a few things - I did not know the origins of Charlton publishing...It seems quite interesting that Charlton publishing was conceived (ouch!) by its founders in a jail cell! I also learned that Ditko had a better working relationship with writer/edito Joe Gill than he ever did with Stan Lee.

It was a good decision by the author to have the article concentrate on the efforts with the Charlton monsters -- those were some of Steve's best stuff for Charlton - especially KONGA #1 - the level of detail in the early KONGAs and GORGOs rival Ditko's best work on those lil' 5 page gems he did on the pre-hero Marvel fantasy titles.

Bill

Great article. I actually printed it out to read in detail later.

Of all the comics I collected over the years Charlton's were a favorite. I sold all the war and hot rod books. Regret doing that now. I still have the monster ones though. I'll post some later. I'm a big Gorgo fan. BTW, there is a new Gorgo model coming out soon. By Monarch company.

Great thread.

Super sci-fi by Ditko!!! :applause:

I don't think I've posted this one--

StrangeSuspenseStories16.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories 16 with an attractive Giordano cover. The upside-down word balloon cracks me up.

I don't know why they're green.

Jack

Space Adventures 7

Trans-gender story!

SpaceAdventures7.jpg

Jack

Nice cover. Charlton's best efforts to imitate EC -- but a gread Giorgono cover!

The "trasformation" story was also a popular motif in EC too!

How about a Konga vs Flying Saucer with Aliens cover

Konga7.jpg

Cool cover. Those are some great Ditko aliens.. I am sure that these guys appeared in a pre-her Atlas story...I will have to investigate.

Ah-ha! I knew I had seen these aliens before! I finally came across the pre-hero Atlas version of these aliens...

Here is a page from TOS #12 "Those who lurk below".

lurk1og9.jpg

These guys are some of Steve's best visitors from beyond.

Bill

How about a Konga vs Flying Saucer with Aliens cover

Konga7.jpg

Cool cover. Those are some great Ditko aliens.. I am sure that these guys appeared in a pre-her Atlas story...I will have to investigate.

Ah-ha! I knew I had seen these aliens before! I finally came across the pre-hero Atlas version of these aliens...

Here is a page from TOS #12 "Those who lurk below".

lurk1og9.jpg

These guys are some of Steve's best visitors from beyond.

Bill

A couple of early GORGOs. Great Ditko covers.

Here, Gorgo expresses his opinion on the whole One World Government ideology:

GORGO_02.jpg

Yes, I see!

lol

Here are scans of some of my early Charlton sci-fi books:

SpaceWar3.jpg

SpaceAdventures38.jpg

SpaceAdventures39.jpg

:headbang: