• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Slab It?

27 posts in this topic

I'm looking to extend my Batman slabs into the Silver Age (looking at some key issues) but some of the copies I have are mid to low grade. The most notable being a Batman #189 which would probably grade out at a 4.0.

Now I know it's all down to personal acceptance levels but would anyone here bother to get it slabbed? I've thought about it for a while and think I will get it done. When I go to upgrade later on would it be easier to move slabbed or raw? Would you want to own a Silver Age key issue in a 4.0? I've a few other books that would end up mid-grade (#169, #171, #200 etc) and I really want them in slabs.

I'd just be really interested to hear other people's thoughts on this, I've been arguing with myself for ages about it.

A slabbed copy in that grade sells for about what it would cost you to get it slabbed. It does not make financial sense, so it comes down to whether it would substantially enhance your enjoyment of the book.

I wouldn't slab unless I plan to sell it.

Why?

I can buy a Mylar/Mylite with a Gerber fullback (backing board, for the unititiated) and microchamber paper for about $2 total cost, and still be able to read it at any time the mood strikes me. If I had it slabbed, then I'd have the same protection, but be unable to read it. I'd also have to have it re-slabbed down the road, due to the microchamber paper deteriorating from the acidic off-gassing of the book. If it's not slabbed, I just replace the microchamber paper myself.

Long story short: if you intend to keep the book for the forseeable future, mylar it. If you want to sell, CGC it.

When I go to upgrade later on would it be easier to move slabbed or raw? Would you want to own a Silver Age key issue in a 4.0?

As far as 'easier to move', I'd definitely buy a CGC certified 4.0 Avengers #4, versus what the seller self-graded as a raw 4.0. Again, it all boils down to what you plan to do with the book. If you never plan to sell it, there's no real reason to encapsulate it.

Thanks for the input. I would only look at selling when I managed to upgrade to a better copy. The book is already in a mylar so the preservation aspect doesn't come into it really.

Some of the later books I have (Bat #251 'Tec #400) will probably grade out at around 6.5/7.0 so I'll probably get those done as I have reader copies of them anyway.

The trouble is it will be only my second submission to CGC and I've really got the bug of getting my own books slabbed so I suppose it's a knee-jerk reaction to any key issue that looks half decent to get it slabbed. As has been mentioned above though, looking at it from the financial aspect it's probably really not worth it.

Looking at the GPA...

Batman #189 4.0 - $21

Batman #169 4.5 - $41

Batman #171 6.0 - $121

Batman #200 5.0 - $20

Batman #251 7.0 - $51

Detective #400 6.5 - $55

So no, I wouldn't slab 'em. Sorry.... :sorry:

BTW, if you aren't already aware of it, and you're looking into slabs as a major collecting interest, you should subscribe to GPA , it tracks feebay sales of CGC slabbed books, $10/monthly.

The trouble is it will be only my second submission to CGC and I've really got the bug of getting my own books slabbed so I suppose it's a knee-jerk reaction to any key issue that looks half decent to get it slabbed.

I joined CGC in August of last year and I'm still agonizing over what I should submit with my three free coupons. I have sweet copies of ASM #129 (9.4), HoS #92 (7.5), UXM #101 (9.4), Hulk #181 (6.0), GSXM #! (6.0), IF #14 (9.2), etc. Money's pretty tight though, and I'd rather buy more books here from the selling forums. :D

I'll probably wind up submitting my books a week before the coupons expire. :D

Gav, financially it wouldn't be worth getting it slabbed.

If you just feel like slabbing it for the fun of it, then you could do. Though if you intend upgrading anyway, I'd just wait till you get a higher grade copy to submit.

Low grade late silver Batmans are plentiful. Once the TV show picked up, circulation skyrocketed into the hundreds of thousands. I recommend you save the money you'd spend slabbing those books (except for maybe the 171) and spend it on a high grade key from that era. (Like a nice 171 or 181.) (Or any high grade book from that era!)

Thanks for the input people. Like I said, my main dilemma was would I be happy with a 4.0 copy for a long period of time? And that's a no.

Here is the book, and looking at it again it's just not worth it, even for resale. Thanks for helping me make my mind up! (thumbs u

One thing to consider. I don't know your age and what the future plans for your collection are. But consider that if you leave this life, it will be a whole lot easier for your heirs to dispose of your collection, if they are slabbed. It takes the guess work out of trying to decide on a price and on a description, for your loved ones.

On the surface, not slabbing is the way to go. But future considerations should be part of your decision making process.

Having said all of that. I would not slab and would buy something you like with the slabbing money. :)

Leave the slabbing up to your heirs. It's far more fun to concentrate on the accumulation part of collecting as opposed to worrying about the details of the disposition part. If your heirs really want money instead of comics, let them go through the trouble themselves!

rantrant

For me if I enjoyed the cover, I will slab it regardless if it makes finical sense. It comes down to personal enjoyment for me. Then if I ever needed to sell, it would be easier to sell.

For instance All Hail megaton from IDW has a sweet cover, I love it, I am going to slab it for display, 2 reasons is I like the slab and I like to show it off as "Graded"

One thing to consider. I don't know your age and what the future plans for your collection are. But consider that if you leave this life, it will be a whole lot easier for your heirs to dispose of your collection, if they are slabbed. It takes the guess work out of trying to decide on a price and on a description, for your loved ones.

On the surface, not slabbing is the way to go. But future considerations should be part of your decision making process.

Having said all of that. I would not slab and would buy something you like with the slabbing money. :)

Points taken. I'm 32 in a couple of weeks so I'm not planning on leaving the girls my collection yet (even though my oldest would love them!)

I think I've got enough time to acquire a higher grade copy, well I hope so anyway! so I reckon that's the route to take.

Would you want to own a Silver Age key issue in a 4.0?

Cujobyte and I took note of a guy spending several hours at a booth (Phoenix ComicCon) pulling out what amounted to be a stack of midgrade SA/BA books.

There is a market. Slab what you like, even if you don't want to sell it any time soon. It all depends on your long term outlook, if you have one. If you do sell, don't expect an inflation of what people will pay for those. They'll still go for Overstreet Guide or a little less, depending on how hot the key is. If you paid a sizeable amount for the book, I'd hang on to it for a good while slabbed or not as the value may go up if you want to profit. Slabbed books are always far easier to move. If you're more interested in preservation and checking for restoration (shipping it off to Matt Nelson/someone else isn't really that much cheaper overall) for peace of mind while it stays in your collection, more power to you! You can always acquire a reader copy/trade/reprint if it compels you to be read.

Would you want to own a Silver Age key issue in a 4.0?

Cujobyte and I took note of a guy spending several hours at a booth (Phoenix ComicCon) pulling out what amounted to be a stack of midgrade SA/BA books.

There is a market. Slab what you like, even if you don't want to sell it any time soon. It all depends on your long term outlook, if you have one. If you do sell, don't expect an inflation of what people will pay for those. They'll still go for Overstreet Guide or a little less, depending on how hot the key is. If you paid a sizeable amount for the book, I'd hang on to it for a good while slabbed or not as the value may go up if you want to profit. Slabbed books are always far easier to move. If you're more interested in preservation and checking for restoration (shipping it off to Matt Nelson/someone else isn't really that much cheaper overall) for peace of mind while it stays in your collection, more power to you! You can always acquire a reader copy/trade/reprint if it compels you to be read.

Funnily enough I have just picked up a reader copy for pennies from eBay. it has the cover virtually hanging off (still attached at both staples but large spine splits) but I can read it!

I'm still indecisive about the slabbing. I want it mainly to look at and to extend my Batman set of slabs, and like I've said I won't sell it until I've upgraded. Profit isn't the main issue - as long as I made my money back I'd be happy, but seeing as I think I paid a little over the odds for it (£33) I don't think I would as it would work out at around another £25 to slab it.

Hell, I suppose I'd even take a loss on the book if it contributed towards a higher grade copy. Now I'm leaning towards getting it slabbed again. Indecision indecision :(:pullhair:

Gav,

At the moment, slabbing a book is going to run you roughly £35...you've got to factor in the shipping/insurance both ways, as well as the fee. With the exchange rate around $1.40, unless the book is worth a hell of a lot, I personally don't think it's worth it.

The other issue is storage space. Once you start seriously accumulating slabs, your house becomes markedly smaller. I've got 400 raw and 400 slabs. The slabs take up four times the space (12 boxes to 3 boxes). :eek: