• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Grading

31 posts in this topic

I bet if you post what titles you want in the wanted thread and price you ma be able to get a better deal without gambling, just a thought.

they are actually being sold in the for sale thread and the quality is solid but the price is actually a lot higher than Mile High

Let me guess, Preacher?

If a respected boardie is selling a book as a raw 9.6 or 9.8 then that's a world of difference from Chuck's NM barrel, which probably contains mostly 6.0 to 9.0

My opinion only :)

I bet if you post what titles you want in the wanted thread and price you ma be able to get a better deal without gambling, just a thought.

Chucks stuff is we all know,go to the board members they wont shaft you on grade 2c

they are actually being sold in the for sale thread and the quality is solid but the price is actually a lot higher than Mile High

Grade is the most important thing. I would rather overpay for a properly graded book than get a deal on a overgraded book. I have books that I purchased 20 years ago that were overgraded and I still couldn't sell them for what I paid for them.

As my wife says and my Baltimore Comic Con motel experience has taught me, you pay for what you get! (established) Board members who sell here generally try to be as accurate as possible even if it means undergrading a touch because reputations count. WHY some dealers don't feel the same, I'm not sure, but the sense of community here might be a part of it.

That said, I will admit that I have made some purchases from Mile High in the early part of my return to comic collecting a few years back. While I know I could have gotten a better deal on the boards for the books I purchased, I also didn't do too badly (thanks to some combined sales codes). I can also say the grading was surprisingly accurate (it was a mix of Copper and early Modern age books). There was one snafu with the order and they were very quick to rectify the situation at no cost to myself--though I called by phone so that probably helped. Of course, now that I have a much better feel of the market for books (and access to the WTB thread and Seller's Marketplace), Mile High has become a place I typically won't even bother perusing.

While I'm not thrilled with Mile High's grading, I must confess that I bought a Fine Hulk 181 in 2005 (Dallas Stephens Collection) and it graded 8.0 (VF) - 4 grades higher than advertised. So in the end it was worth the premium price I paid for. But I seldom buy books without seeing the actual book instead of a file picture.

While I'm not thrilled with Mile High's grading, I must confess that I bought a Fine Hulk 181 in 2005 (Dallas Stephens Collection) and it graded 8.0 (VF) - 4 grades higher than advertised. So in the end it was worth the premium price I paid for. But I seldom buy books without seeing the actual book instead of a file picture.

Mile high cannot be bothered to give scans, it is not practical for them to do so they claim, further they do not guarantee the grades they give, but they stand by there grades????????

You got lucky with that hulk no doubt, but I bet my used toilet paper will grade higher then there advertised grades.

Their listings always show only a stock photo which is always of the highest quality but you have to read their long drawn out essay to find out that is not the one you are buying. haven't seen a fair price on what they do offer so I pass them by automatically bot that's just me.

I have to agree with most of the forum, I purchased a lot from Mile High when I first got back into collecting and found that all the issues that I purchased from them that have been submitted were crushed by CGC. If your buying Modern issues your chances are good of getting what you paid for. If your buying silver age save your money, because the hobos they have working there aren't drinking enough when they grade.