• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

You're right about coins. They are exponentially a larger hobby than comics. We play second fiddle to the coin graders down at NGC.

(thumbs u

With all due respect to my inexperience in this area, but a couple of comments here just strike an off-note with me:

The 6.0 is probably the best one for sale in the past 10 years and probably forward 10 years or more.

Haven't two unrestored 6.5's sold in the past 10 years, if not much more recently?

Comics are IMO a better collectible than coins, stamps and baseball cards, yet all three of those have had multi million dollar sales while comics can't even break the 500k barrier.

Not sure what your criteria is for "better." I like comics more than coins, but coins are a much safer investment as they are far far harder to damage, don't deteriorate with the passage of time, and have a much more established market in terms of history, number of collectors, and presence of institutional investors and collectors. Baseball cards are more akin to comics, but Baseball is the national pasttime with many many new fans each year. Comics, on the other hand, appear to have an ageing and shrinking fan base.

Finally, there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money that are looking for places to put it. I mean there is a lot of stupid/smart crazy(like a fox) rich folks where 1 million isn't even a sneeze. The only they fear is looking foolish as they pay too much.

But why would they want to put their money into a small and inefficient market that is hard to understand and has some arcane preferences and prejudices? If you want to park your money, there are many places to be parking it right now. Stocks and real estate are both far more attractive today than they were a year ago. And the art markets are more efficient, understandable, and safer. I'm not at all sure that there are many (any?) pure non-fan investors spending big bucks for comics. And, as far as I can tell, institutional investors have decided the comic market is too thin and small to interest them.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

I would be shocked if it sold OVER $500,000. hm

I'm going with the easier route - I'll be shocked if it doesn't sell.

I can guarantee that it will sell for at least $123,456.

hm a reasonable assertion

The real question is whether it will go for more than $345,678

I think so. I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for $456,789.

my gut really says no, but still, anything is possible...

\
Finally, there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money that are looking for places to put it. I mean there is a lot of stupid/smart crazy(like a fox) rich folks where 1 million isn't even a sneeze. The only they fear is looking foolish as they pay too much.

But why would they want to put their money into a small and inefficient market that is hard to understand and has some arcane preferences and prejudices? If you want to park your money, there are many places to be parking it right now. Stocks and real estate are both far more attractive today than they were a year ago. And the art markets are more efficient, understandable, and safer. I'm not at all sure that there are many (any?) pure non-fan investors spending big bucks for comics. And, as far as I can tell, institutional investors have decided the comic market is too thin and small to interest them.

Mr. Duck, I think your observations are the most interesting and original in this thread. The idea that it would make sense for anyone without a sincere passion for and a deep knowledge about comics to "invest" is pretty ridiculous. Statistically, what an investor with no background in the market should expect to encounter would fall somewhere in the range between a snake-oil salesman and a used car dealership. Personally, I think a large part of the reason for the relatively low prices paid for comics is that most wealthy investors are smart enough to recognize this. I would strongly encourage all dealers to be as dishonest as they possibly can so that we can continue to scare off investors. Then we can continue to share the pool of existing comics between those of us who care enough to invest the time it takes to learn how to tiptoe around the financial minefield that the hobby is.

The only reason I'm still around to buy these books must be due to a combination of low intelligence and a profound interest in Golden Age comics. I would encourage any potential investor to ask him-/herself whether they possess at least one of these qualities. Otherwise investing in comics is not for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will a comic break the million dollar barrier?

All you need is two very high earners involved in a bidding war for 1 comic. So.... it's possible.

As someone who invests money on a daily basis, I have little interest in putting serious comics/ collectibles in general. The market is truly too small, and still maintains a wild west image (despite a grading co). The history of comics as collectibles is too short and maintains an uncertain future whether the hobby has enough younger readers/future investors.

Given the falloff in asset values for stocks/ real estate over the past year iI would rather look to invest in those areas versus funny books. As the unemployment rate rises and economic activity slows are comics truly a store of value? In the short run comic prices are buoyed by a lack of money going into mainstream assets. How long will that trend last?

Are we near the beginning of the discovery of comics as an investment or is there widespread recognition of how well the hobby has done in recent years? Is the baby boomer in their peak spending years? Is comic collecting a "fad" that will go the way of other collectible fads once the economic weakness spreads out? Everyone will decide for themselves.

On a Personal note, I'm switching money within asset classes and from asset class to asset class (on a daily basis) that would pay for the Action 1 many times over. Yet, I've never considered putting serious money into collectibles. Perhaps it's my mistake?

The history is still to be written.