• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How tough are the Detective comics from 27-37 ( Pre Robin) to find?

29 posts in this topic

depends whether you \re concerned about restoration or not.

If not concerned then they are readily available (though at a cost).

Unrestored on the other hand much harder - try finding a #28.

It seems that they are out there somewhere these days or am I seeing the just the tip of the iceberg on these books. Thoughts?

Lots of certain issues, others are tougher. Nothing rates over a Gerber 8. Detective 2 used to be really tough to find, but a few copies have popped up over the past 5 years. Unrestored are difficult, but findable if you are patient.

I agree with all...not super tough, but obviously tougher unrestored...28 is by far the toughest in that run to track down...the Bat covers are tougher for owners to part with, and often are at premium prices if unrestored...

Don't forget that collectors tend to hold on to issues 27, 29, 31,33 35,36 and 37 more than almos everything else. Being at the NY show all 3 days I only saw one tec 33 at 3.5, and metros tecs 27 and 29 that's it. Absolutely none of the others. On the other hand I saw like 4 All americans 2 adv 40s and a couple of more fun 52s (I believe). Those tecs are king of the whole dc world and certain bat covers would be the last books I would ever sell

Tec #28 is a tough one, and I doubt I will own another unrestored copy after selling mine last fall, but the covers with Batman are definitely more desireable. If it had been a copy of Tec #29, #31 (especially) or #35 that I picked up locally instead of Tec #28, I would have kept it (on the other hand, if it was Tec #31 and my wife found out how much it was worth, I would have had to sell it! lol ).

It seems that they are out there somewhere these days or am I seeing the just the tip of the iceberg on these books. Thoughts?

Lots of certain issues, others are tougher. Nothing rates over a Gerber 8. Detective 2 used to be really tough to find, but a few copies have popped up over the past 5 years. Unrestored are difficult, but findable if you are patient.

as TGA says, all are available, as long as patient and not "too" picky...over the past 4 years, I have owned :

27...2 restored, 1 unrestored

28...1 restored, passed on 1 other restored and 1 unrestored...might have seen 1 other copy available

29...4 restored, 1 unrestored, passed on at least 3 other unrestored copies and multiple restored copies

30...1 restored, 1 unrestored, passed on many

31...3 restored, 3 unrestored, passed on only 2 other copies

32...2 unrestored, passed on many

33...1 unrestored, readily available, but still cool

34...2 unrestored, passed on many

35...2 restored, 3 unrestored copies... pricey, but available

36...1 restored, 1 unrestored, passed on 2 unrestored, fairly tough

37...1 unrestored, rarely do I see for sale (did see one unrestored on ebay recently, and the crippen tempted me for years :baiting: )

so, I would say , from my perspective, issue 28 and 37 are "toughest"...36 is pretty tough, and the rest are just pricey, but over time, readily available...

as TGA says, all are available, as long as patient and not "too" picky...over the past 4 years, I have owned :

28...1 restored, passed on 1 other restored and 1 unrestored...might have seen 1 other copy available

29...4 restored, 1 unrestored, passed on at least 3 other unrestored copies and multiple restored copies

37...1 unrestored, rarely do I see for sale (did see one unrestored on ebay recently, and the crippen tempted me for years :baiting: )

so, I would say , from my perspective, issue 28 and 37 are "toughest"...36 is pretty tough, and the rest are just pricey, but over time, readily available...

Wow, where did you find yours, by the way?

Wow, where did you find yours, by the way?

everywhere and anywhere (thumbs u

Funny how some issues are so much harder to find than others. I must have seen 30+ copies of #35 over the last 5 years alone.

more like 12-15 that I know of (though, you might have a secret too!), but there have been numerous 35's (thumbs u

Rick your probably closer to the actual number than me as I have never kept track of repeat listed copies but I know of probably 4-5 coverless or very poor copies just in the last couple years alone, 9 in the Heritage archives and that includes one bound volume. Not the rarest of the run but defintely one of the most sought after :cloud9: and expensive. Didn't Fishler once say he has sold 20-30 of these alone in the last few years?