• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I get my Fantastic Four 48 CGC 9.2 signed?

FF 48 CGC 9.2 SS?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. FF 48 CGC 9.2 SS?

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I love the idea of the CGC Signature Series and already have two CGC SS books - Silver Surfer 3 CGC 7.0 SS (signed by Stan Lee), and Incredible Hulk 250 CGC 9.6 SS (signed by Sal Buscema). I also have a copy of House of Secrets 92 CGC 7.5 that I plan on getting signed by Bernie Wrightson in the near future.

But my question is regarding my copy of Fantastic Four 48 CGC 9.2 (old CGC blue label with off-white to white pages). This book is the gem of my collection and I highly doubt that I will ever be able to upgrade this book further due to the cost. I was considering a couple of options for this book - leave it as is with the old CGC blue label, get it signed by Stan Lee for SS, get it signed by Joe Sinnott for SS, or get it signed by both Stan Lee and Joe Sinnot SS (could you get the book signed by one person and then later signed by another?). I'm really not sure as to what decision I will make as of yet. One of the things I am afraid of is what if the book comes back from the signing and grading with a lower grade? How often does that happen? If I do get this book signed it will be the highest SS graded copy (sharing the honors with two other copies in the CGC census). I would not be getting the book signed to sell it - this book is a permanent part of my collection and I am a big Silver Surfer fan.

The question doesn't have a real easy answer that lends itself to a poll. It is not uncommon for books to drop in grade after being signed (then again, sometimes books go up in grade--go figure). But if truly you plan to keep the book and are not particularly interested in its resale value, the analysis becomes a little easier. While the difference between a blue label 9.2 (around $1,400) and 9.0 (around $950) is not insignificant, it is not on the order of magnitude if you were talking about a Hulk #181 in 9.8 vs. 9.6, which is huge. There's a chance that even if the book dropped in grade, the signatures would overcome the difference, so that at the end of the day you have a book that is worth about as much (or more) signed as it was unsigned in a higher grade. From that standpoint, there is not really that much at risk. It all really comes down to whether you could stand having the book drop in grade if that's what it took to get it signed. If the answer is yes, then by all means do it, but if the answer is no, that should be a non-starter.

It is possible to get a book signed for SS by different people at different times. The sad thing is that if you had asked this question about a month ago, it would have been relatively easy to obtain both signatures in a short period of time (Stan Lee had been accessible by Chandler Rice at Desertwind Comics, but it is unclear whether he will continue to be, and Joe Sinnott was at the New York Comic Con a couple of weekends ago, but it is unclear when he will next appear at a con).

I say get it signed by Stan Lee and Joe Sinnott. Just my 2c (and this is coming from a guy who was lucky enough to at one time had one of the 9.2 SS copies of FF #48, and who just sent in a blue label 9.0 copy to get signed by Stan Lee and Joe Sinnott). 'Nuff Said.

It's your book,I say go with what feels right to you.

You state " I would not be getting the book signed to sell it" then it comes down to what's worth more to you.Having those 2 legends on your book or keeping it at a 9.2.(That's even if it does drop)

Thanks for your input everyone. I think that I am leaning towards getting the book signed - I see that Joe Sinnott will be at ALBANY COMIC CON on April 6,2009 - if I could not make the show is there someone from CGC that is a SS witness who handles getting books signed?

IMO I think I get the feeling that you will be more satisfied with your book eventually having both sigs on your book even if your book does drop a lvl in grade.

I'd only say no if you cringe at the thought of someone writing on the cover of your book. Seank does give you a nice alternative, find a lower grade copy and get that signed.

IMO I think I get the feeling that you will be more satisfied with your book eventually having both sigs on your book even if your book does drop a lvl in grade.

I'd only say no if you cringe at the thought of someone writing on the cover of your book. Seank does give you a nice alternative, find a lower grade copy and get that signed.

>>That is certainly an option as well that I didn't think of originally. I've seen some Stan Lee signatures right on characters, etc. which I probably wouldn't be happy about if it were my book.

Really depends on how you feel about signatures. Stan Lee's sig adds a lot for collectors like myself, but on the other hand, once you get into high grade, there is something to be said for preserving the book as it was when it sold. If it drops half a point, and this has happened to me a number of times, then ask yourself how you feel about a 9.0 or possibly even an 8.5 grade for the signed book. The risk is real. On the other hand, no risk, no reward. If you have a 9.2 signed by Stan, that's pretty good. If marvel comes out with a solo silver surfer movie, that book could see big gains in value, so either way, you would be covered.

Really depends on how you feel about signatures. Stan Lee's sig adds a lot for collectors like myself, but on the other hand, once you get into high grade, there is something to be said for preserving the book as it was when it sold. If it drops half a point, and this has happened to me a number of times, then ask yourself how you feel about a 9.0 or possibly even an 8.5 grade for the signed book. The risk is real. On the other hand, no risk, no reward. If you have a 9.2 signed by Stan, that's pretty good. If marvel comes out with a solo silver surfer movie, that book could see big gains in value, so either way, you would be covered.

>>Those are good points that you make. I could also decide on getting a different book from my Silver Surfer collection signed by Stan Lee and others. I was also considering possibly my Fantastic Four 50 CGC 8.0, Fantastic Four 72 CGC 9.0, Silver Surfer 1 CGC 9.0, or Silver Surfer 4 CGC 9.0

>>Those are good points that you make. I could also decide on getting a different book from my Silver Surfer collection signed by Stan Lee and others. I was also considering possibly my Fantastic Four 50 CGC 8.0, Fantastic Four 72 CGC 9.0, Silver Surfer 1 CGC 9.0, or Silver Surfer 4 CGC 9.0

I say go with one of those. If the 48 is such a big deal anything could go wrong with taking it out. Forget about the fact that stan could screw up his signature or the ink could bleed. Then youd really regret it.

You can always get a high-grade FF 48 but you will only have a limited opportunity to get a copy signed by Stan Lee and Joe Sinnott. If you're really concerned about cracking the 9.2, try and find another copy to get signed and slabbed. Nothing wrong with a double-signed SS FF 48 in mid-grade. Though, if I had the 9.2 and the opportunity for those two signatures, I would do it without hesitation.

call for the graders notes and find out what the flaws are...if its a soft 9.2, you may get a 9.0 back, but if its a strong 9.2, you should get a 9.2 back if its handled right.

>>Great idea! I didn't even think of that!

It sounds like a good idea, but in reality, it's not as if CGC will tell you whether the book is a "soft" 9.2 or a "strong" 9.2. About the best clue you can get is if one of the graders scored it a 9.0, in which case you would know that it was borderline. Otherwise, unless you have someone that really knows their stuff, the graders' notes are really not that helpful other than to let you know why the book did not grade higher.

Do not get it signed. Go the route suggested and get another FF 48 signed. What if the SS dies a quick death?

or

Get it signed. Stan Lee is not going to be around forever and then you may whish you had.

Oh, what to do? What to do?

Seriously. Life is full of decisions and crossroads. Make a decision you can live with.

One thing to think about though. If you do get it signed, and you later regret it. The sale of the signed book will put you real close to the price of an unsigned book of the same grade. Maybe even over. If you later have regrets. Sp, in essence, signed may be a win-win. Unsigned may be a win or a lose.

I voted no sig (and I love sig books)...but the grade on this particular book makes me think twice.

Chris,

May I make a recommendation to you to help you in your decision. Contact CGC and ask them for the graders notes on your FF48. If the notes have it as a strong 9.2, then the odds of the grade dropping should be much lower. But if the notes have it as a weak 9.2, then odds are greater that it will drop. I can tell you that our rate of grade drops has been less then 5% of the books we have handled. At this time though I am not sure when Stan will be signing again. I know he plans to be at San Diego. I hope this information helps you.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics