• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC '10 - It's Never Too Early!

855 posts in this topic

Point5 has some good hotel suggestions for hotels in Queens.

I would also recommend the Holiday Inn in Long Island City (Astoria), Queens. It's a short distance the subway (N or the Q subway line). It's a quick ride to 34th Street in Manhattan. 30 minutes to 34th St.

From there, it is a few long blocks to the Javitz convention center or you can get a free transfer and take the crosstown bus to Javitz. Another 15 minutes to Javitz.

The subway line is fairly safe at night and clean.

It's the same commute a NYer from Astoria, Queens would take.

Cheers!

N.

I'm still looking for a dealer exhibitor badge to the show btw. PM me if you have an extra. Thanks.

I purchased the weekend pass again this year and have yet to go more then one day. Still trying to figure out how to ask the wife if I can go two days this year! :)

You give her some cash and point her towards Fifth Avenue. Hell, you might get a third day out of it if you can bankroll her enough!

:banana:

I'd love to go for two days but my wife doesn't get out of work until 3:00 from work and then it's a 2 1/2 hour drive down to Long Island (and probably longer since we'll be hitting the entire rush hour traffic log-jam).

But, I'll be down there from break of dawn Saturday AM until late night, so that ought to be enough time to pack in some fun. :)

Does anyone know if CGC will be doing onsite grading? Would it be smart to try and get sketches or SS books done on Friday vs. Saturday? Any idea what the crowd looks like on Friday?

CGC tends to only do onsite grading at Wizard-related shows. This one is not put on by Wizard. Don't hold your breath for onsite grading here.

Last year, the show was pretty thick on Friday and it was tough to move around on Saturday since it was so crowded. It's a very busy show. Second only to SDCC in my experience.

This will be the first comic convention I have gone to in over 15 years. My friend will be signing there and he asked me to come. It will be interesting to see what has changed in 15 years, I'm just afraid of what it will do to my wallet (which is why I haven't gone in so long).

I don't want to put a damper on NYCC (after all this is best convention my wife and I will get to attend this year), but I've read several reports about bed bugs in NYC, and my wife and I are flipping out. We're close enough that we can take the train in from Central Jersey each day, but we really would like to stay in our hotel. Just seems easier that way.

But if there is still a bad bed bug problem come October, we'll cancel our hotel.

Anyone else worried?

Bed bugs are always going to be an issue no matter where you travel.

The only suggestion is to avoid the specific hotels mentioned in the news articles as it will take some time for the hotel to get rid of them.

No reason to worry or miss a great show.

Cheers!

N.

I'm looking for a NYCC dealer / exhibitor badge. PM me. Thanks.

I don't want to put a damper on NYCC (after all this is best convention my wife and I will get to attend this year), but I've read several reports about bed bugs in NYC, and my wife and I are flipping out. We're close enough that we can take the train in from Central Jersey each day, but we really would like to stay in our hotel. Just seems easier that way.

But if there is still a bad bed bug problem come October, we'll cancel our hotel.

Anyone else worried?

I hear they are the size of a small dog in the older hotels. :insane: