• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC '10 - It's Never Too Early!

855 posts in this topic

Well, that was a fun first day! Got to see and meet some new boardies; forum legend, doc watson, peas of , johnnydelicious, chainnball, roy, etc., etc. Seems like a bustling show, tomorrow will probably be armageddon.

Artist alley isn't an alley at all, it's its own convention next door! Gigantic with tons of room to walk through the aisle without catching fanboy funk on yourself.

Tomorrow! :headbang:

Well, that was a fun first day! Got to see and meet some new boardies; forum legend, doc watson, peas of , johnnydelicious, chainnball, roy, etc., etc. Seems like a bustling show, tomorrow will probably be armageddon.

Artist alley isn't an alley at all, it's its own convention next door! Gigantic with tons of room to walk through the aisle without catching fanboy funk on yourself.

Tomorrow! :headbang:

yeah, I walked in through that route because the other way seemed really crowded (it was more of an optical illusion I think) and it took me 15 minutes to actually find any vintage comics. in terms of a back issue convention, this one is pretty ordinary for a big show, but it does have a lot of other stuff going on, so if you were targeted and brought a bunch of books to sign (if you don't care abput CGC signature series in particular), it looks to be a great place for that. from the looks of it, some of the semi-local dealers I usually hit just didn't want to lay out the money for this show, particularly after one last week.

not that any of this stopped me. i bought more comics than i could carry. in going over them at home, some of the choices (and prices paid) I now question, but it was a lot of fun.

Just got back.

Incredibly freaking crowded. The dealer's tables weren't too jammed, except for maybe the bargin bin dealers. All the rest of the stuff -- bah, not my cup of tea so I tried to avoid it.

I overheard a ton of requests for Sonic the Hedgehog comics. If I were the speculating kind, I would be stocking up on those in a hurry.

Met a lot of boardies for the first time, and overall had a pretty successful day tracking down books on my want list (mostly BA horror, western and war, along with two killer Atom age books).

IMO the dealers with the best stock this time around were Blazing Bob, Dale Roberts, Superworld Ted, Metropolis, JHV (? is that right?) and Worldwide Comics.

If you're a Turtles fan (which I am not), you should check out the Motor City booth, they brought a ton of Turtle books to the show.

And the Fire Department didn't close the building down this year!

Just got home. Totally disappointed in CGC. I arrived at the Con about 12:45 with 16 prepped books in hand, spread out over about 6 artists and writers, only to be told by CGC that they were no longer accepting subs for the rest of the Con!! :o Apparently, they did not have the personnel to handle the Con. This is a major Con, how could you not be prepared to handle the volume? :makepoint:

Out of desperation, i had no choice but to obtain sigs the old fashion way......no witness. Which means no yellow label. Disappointing, man. :(

But on a positive note, i want to give a MAJOR thank you to Danny of CGC. (worship) He's doing his best to prevent my situation from being a total loss. Thank you so very much Danny.

I've no doubt that this failure has to do with the recent changes in SS rules. GET IT TOGETHER CGC. If you can't handle the job someone else may fill your shoes.

The Con was awesome today. Great costumes, great atmosphere. If anybody is looking for sketches on Sunday, I recommend Nick Dragotta in Artist Alley I-10. He did a beautiful Wonder Woman and Power Girl for me on an X-Men #1 Sketch Cover. I'd post a pic now, but it was submitted to CGC for grading. I'll have pics in the This Week Back from CGC thread in about two months when it returns.

Nick did the Marvel Zombies Return series and the new Captain America Forever Allies mini-series. Side note - we went to high school together in South Jersey, and it is really great to see an old friend fulfilling his lifelong dream. Not many people can say that they penciled comics for Marvel!