• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek #1 dilema

11 posts in this topic

Was going thru my collection the other day and noticed i had a star trek #1,turned it over and BAM it's got shatners picture on the back so i'm really hyped.

Until i open it up,some person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point wrote the cast listings in pen on the first page

william shatner - kirk

lenard nimoy - spock etc.

also in the bottom right corner of every page is a 1/4 pen written page number.

my problem is how much should i ask/expect to get for it, the cover and back are f+,vf white pages.

I am not sure if folks realize this, but the Star Trek 1 Gold Key issue with shatners pic on the back, is the COMMON one... the #1 with the ad on the back is exceeding rare, by comparision!

in this past years overstreet price guide submissions, I made it a point to see if OS would correct the "values" of these 2.... I have seen over 100 ST #1 over the years, and only ever seen 2 with the reg back cover...the other 90+ are the photo cover!

Until i open it up,some person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point kid enjoying his comic book wrote the cast listings in pen on the first page

william shatner - kirk

Fixed that for you :hi:

here is some supportive evidence...

CGC has graded 137 Back cover photo variants... they have only graded 19 reg back cover variants...

that is 88% with photo, 12% without... I think that, and personal experience (no one has sold more Star Trek collectibles in the US in the last 15 years than us!) supports my line to OSPG (shrug)

Until i open it up,some person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point kid enjoying his comic book wrote the cast listings in pen on the first page

william shatner - kirk

(worship)

Perhaps the OS value of the photo cover in relation to the ad cover account for the CGC discrepancy ...as far as which one is more rare... (shrug)

not likely, as the values are very similar (within 10-15% or so of each other, so it is not like the photo cover is worth "that" much more that would be the sole reason for the quantity discrepancy)...

and, as mentioned, we have bought and sold more Star Trek collectibles (including comics) than probably anyone in the US (or maybe the world, for that matter)...and over the years, I can only count 2 examples I have seen (of reg bc), versus probably 100 or more kirk photo back covers... that was the basis for my supposition, and the cgc grading submission is just more support (thumbs u

william shatner - kirk

Nice correction.

:applause:

I am not sure if folks realize this, but the Star Trek 1 Gold Key issue with shatners pic on the back, is the COMMON one... the #1 with the ad on the back is exceeding rare, by comparision!

in this past years overstreet price guide submissions, I made it a point to see if OS would correct the "values" of these 2.... I have seen over 100 ST #1 over the years, and only ever seen 2 with the reg back cover...the other 90+ are the photo cover!

I would agree with this. The photo back is more common by a BIG margin.

I would agree with this. The photo back is more common by a BIG margin.

BIG

Was going thru my collection the other day and noticed i had a star trek #1,turned it over and BAM it's got shatners picture on the back so i'm really hyped.

Until i open it up,some person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point wrote the cast listings in pen on the first page

william shatner - kirk

my problem is how much should i ask/expect to get for it, the cover and back are f+,vf white pages.

Sell it right around the time when the new movie comes out. It might get you $100 to $200 during that time period or better yet get it CGC and you will get more for it.

Don`t sell now wait till the new movie arrives. Who knows the new movie might be red hot?