• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Your favorite band......................

375 posts in this topic

Steely Dan. They were named by the way after a in a movie.

is that why you like them????

:o

My favorite band as well. Sometimes I put Aja, Can't Buy a Thrill, Katy Lied, Pretzel Logic and The Royal Scam on a loop and listen to them all day at work. :cloud9:

I like Steely Dan, and I put the album Aja about my 5th all time favorite album as a whole. That's just good stuff from beginning to end.

Larry Carlton who played on many a Dan album went to my Catholic grade school in Torrance, CA (but I never knew him, several years older) but I knew his younger brother Steve Carlton who was in the grade ahead of me...8th grade, Class of '69!

Of course I agree with all the great 60's + 70's groups like:

Hendrix

Led Zep

Black Sabbath

Pink Floyd

Rush

I'm going to add my personal favorite, 80's era King Crimson. With albums like

"Discipline", "Beat", + "Three of a Perfect Pair" Crimson merged stunning virtuosity with beautiful + thought provoking songs to create a sound like no other (worship) (worship) (worship):luhv: :luhv: :cloud9::headbang: :headbang:

Hey Rich... :hi:

I saw King Krimson as the warm-up band (Santa Monica Civic) for Genesis back when Peter Gabriel fronted the band... :headbang:

and when Phil Collins was on the drums where he belonged... :devil:

Musta been a kick azz show!!! (worship) (worship) The "real" Genesis with Gabriel, that I forgot to add to my list doh! Interestingly enough, its through Gabriel that KC leader Robert Fripp meets world class bassist Tony Levin who propels Crimson on all of those records + then some!!

John Coltrane Quartet

The Real Deal. No one has taken music as far as Coltrane did. Anything else we mention here are but drops, and he is the ocean.

So true. I'm not a particularly religious or spiritual person, but I honesty believe that if we were to analyze his playing in the proper way, we would discover messages and meaning far beyond the music itself. There is a level of depth in the combination of sound, emotion, and mathematics of the harmonic structure to his improvisations that has yet to be fully uncovered. I would compare it to the discovery and translation of a previously unknown language. He was beyond genius.

Lotta good bands here...my top ten would include

Bach (especially loved the Brandenburg Concertos)

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Rush

Madonna

Rolling Stones

Jimi Hendrix

Chicago

probably a few others that don't come to mind.

If I had to get stranded with one Band to listen to it would without a doubt be Boston.

Tom Scholz to me is a genius. If you read a little about him he is an absolute fanatic and a perfectionist when it comes to music and yet their music always comes off as sounding simple and is always melodic...much like Mozart.

The guy is a giant among men.

Rock and Roll: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Metal: Iron Maiden

Classic: Led Zeppelin

Psychadelic: Pink Floyd

Jamband: Widespread Panic

Solo guitarist: Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jazz: John Coltrane and Charlie Parker (tie)