• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX question

115 posts in this topic

I have a SilverAge Spidey in the teens that I bought a while ago has been graded and slabbed a 6.5 by PGX. It was one of my first slabbed and I paid just above OS book price for it at the time :frustrated: . It has some flaws that make me believe it wouldn't rate a 6.5 from CGC.

My question is would I be better off cracking open the slab and trying to sell it as a raw book with large scans or just try to sell it in the PGX slab even though those books with that label rarely sell for full OS or GPA value?

If the book is valuable, I would rather buy it in a PGX slab than raw, any day. With 1/2 the books I buy on ebay having to be returned for all sorts of undisclosed problems, i'd rather have the book graded by someone that doesn't have a vested interest in the value of the book - especially in regard to the typical ebay seller - 'I don't know how to grade/I'm not a professional grader', 'I got these from my grandmom and I don't know anything about them', 'No Returns', etc... the fact that you can sometimes buy books in a PGX slab for less than many of the same books Raw is an added bonus. And my experience has been that the grading was just as accurate as CGC, or just as inaccurate depending on your point of view.

additionally I prefer the pgx holder to the cgc holder. The book is far more secure.

My 2-cents.

If the book is valuable, I would rather buy it in a PGX slab than raw, any day. With 1/2 the books I buy on ebay having to be returned for all sorts of undisclosed problems, i'd rather have the book graded by someone that doesn't have a vested interest in the value of the book - especially in regard to the typical ebay seller - 'I don't know how to grade/I'm not a professional grader', 'I got these from my grandmom and I don't know anything about them', 'No Returns', etc... the fact that you can sometimes buy books in a PGX slab for less than many of the same books Raw is an added bonus. And my experience has been that the grading was just as accurate as CGC, or just as inaccurate depending on your point of view.

additionally I prefer the pgx holder to the cgc holder. The book is far more secure.

My 2-cents.

Run....run like the wind!!!!!!!!!! The hounds are going to be on you before you ever hear their growl!

I'd take my chances raw over a PGX slab every day of the week. I have zero trust in anything inside a slab with their label on it. I'd even have doubts that it was a friggin comic book. 2c

If you have scans of the books raw, post them when selling if you feel it's required. I'd sell the book in the PGX slab, or sell raw through the forum here.

I've had no issues with the PGX books I've bought - I just got a nice EC in VF/white pages. It's great.

Without getting into a war, it seems to me to be obvious.

If you sell it on Ebay in a PGX slab, to some it will be as good as a CGC slabbed book. To some it will be considered as having the possibility of being graded by CGC even higher than PGX graded it. To some, it will have undergone at least some attempt at a restoration check.

If you sell it raw. It will be assumed that you are over grading it, and that there is little to no restoration check.

Truth is, in the know collectors sometimes seek out PGX slabbed books because somewhere in time, PGX slabbed books got the reputation that many are graded more harshly than CGC graded books.

My personal experience is that it seems to go both ways. Sometimes CGC graded harsher and sometimes PGX graded harsher.

Plus, PGX does have a slightly better slab, in many collectors opinion. A PGX slabbed book may not be as desired as a CGC slabbed book, but surely a PGX slabbed book HAS to be better than no slab at all.

Okay. I'm ready for the slings and arrows. But I prefer a gentlemans disagreement.

Sending a slab means large box and bubble wrap, whereas raw means sturdy boards. Are you selling other books in addition to this? Would they all be raw? If so, perhaps selling this book raw may simplify packing/shipping.

Regardless of which option, be prepared to provide good quality pics of the book.

My 2-cents.

But the question wasn't "would you BUY a PGX book"...it was "is it better to sell PGX or raw?"

And, clearly, it's still better to buy PGX...for now.

There are all sorts of people who pay more for a coin that is obviously overgraded simply because it's "in a slab." I'm sure it works for cards, too.

As far as "not having a vested interest in the value of the book"....um. Yeah. Totally.

Two words:

Terence Leder.

Without getting into a war, it seems to me to be obvious.

If you sell it on Ebay in a PGX slab, to some it will be as good as a CGC slabbed book. To some it will be considered as having the possibility of being graded by CGC even higher than PGX graded it. To some, it will have undergone at least some attempt at a restoration check.

If you sell it raw. It will be assumed that you are over grading it, and that there is little to no restoration check.

Truth is, in the know collectors sometimes seek out PGX slabbed books because somewhere in time, PGX slabbed books got the reputation that many are graded more harshly than CGC graded books.

My personal experience is that it seems to go both ways. Sometimes CGC graded harsher and sometimes PGX graded harsher.

Plus, PGX does have a slightly better slab, in many collectors opinion. A PGX slabbed book may not be as desired as a CGC slabbed book, but surely a PGX slabbed book HAS to be better than no slab at all.

Okay. I'm ready for the slings and arrows. But I prefer a gentlemans disagreement.

Can't really argue with this.

One note, though: PGX is a gamble. With PGX, especially Silver or earlier, there's a very good chance that a book with restoration will be missed, because Daniel Patterson isn't that qualified a restoration expert.

It's no better or worse than raw in that regard, and raw books have an advantage: the BUYER can check it out for himself. In a PGX slab, they cannot.

Another advantage a raw book has over a PGX slab is that PGX has been shown to issue high grades to books that have serious interior problems (the example with the large tear on the first page graded 9.4 comes to mind), and the buyer will never know.

With raw, a buyer can check for him or herself.

In that respect, I'll buy raw over PGX graded every day.