• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

I think that early Nedor funny animal books may be, cover to cover, some of the worst comics of all time...

happy05.jpg

I think that early Nedor funny animal books may be, cover to cover, some of the worst comics of all time...

happy05.jpg

I'd have to disagree because they have real laughs on every page.

But are other readers laughing at the gags or at the pages themselves?

I looked through this one and laughed at myself for buying it. It is terrible!

happy05.jpg

Should probably have used the money to buy a War Bond or Stamp instead.

happy05.jpg

Should probably have used the money to buy a War Bond or Stamp instead.

:idea:

happy05.jpg

They are some of my favorites of all time. So many great animators of the time did comic work on the side in so many 40s funny animal comics.

happy05.jpg

They are some of my favorites of all time. So many great animators of the time did comic work on the side in so many 40s funny animal comics.

Confirms my suspicion that living in Texas so long has baked the humor out of Bedrock.

happy05.jpg

I don't think many animators worked for Nedor (or Pines). Certainly the big companies had some great creators and some brilliant material came from that. But this particular publisher was lacking in quality creators early on and it shows through in the product. By the end of the war Nedor's humor comics were much better, though still not anywhere near as enjoyable as the topline titles.

Ha Ha, and Giggle have some of the best humor covers but are pretty in-readable. Tons of holiday and great cover gags. I would throw most Romance books in that category as well but I still buy them cheap when I can for the covers. This is where CGC works for me. Books I ONLY buy for the cover might as well be slabbed...

Haha 4 has a war related cover...

haha04.jpg

Thank you Richard! I missed that when the 20 led me to scan Gerber. I guess the racist depiction on 20 especially struck me because I think of the funny animals books as targeted to the youngest set of readers, even younger than the intended target audience of GA superhero comics. I can't imagine, for instance, a copper age kids' comic such as Rainbow Brite or somesuch with a racist depiction of an Iraqi after the invasion of Kuwait.

WWII covers, especially ones that demonize the face of the enemy, are such enduringly powerful period pieces, snapshots of the culture, for that reason. (To some degree we also saw this during the Korean War/early Cold War). But to see it on a book for the littlest readers particularly speaks to the depth of feeling from that era.