• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

For the record, here's the list of IDW comics with the three-page Locke & Key preview (all from January 2008):

Angel: After the Fall #3

Badger Saves the World #2

Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now #4

Doctor Who #1 (preview also appeared in the 2nd printing)

Doctor Who Classics #2

Duostar Racers #1 (pretty sure it's there, but I have yet to see a copy)

Fallen Angel #23

Gene Simmons' Dominatrix #6

Gene Simmons' Zipper #3

Snaked #2

Speed Racer: Chronicles of the Racer #1

Star Trek Alien Spotlight: Borg

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Intelligence Gathering #1

Wormwood Gentleman Corpse: Calamari Rising #2

Eight of these had multiple covers (Angel, both Dr. Who, FA, SR, both ST, Wormwood)!

Edited by kuphd06

For the record, here's the list of IDW comics with the three-page Locke & Key preview (all from January 2008):

Angel: After the Fall #3

Badger Saves the World #2

Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now #4

Doctor Who #1 (preview also appeared in the 2nd printing)

Doctor Who Classics #2

Duostar Racers #1 (pretty sure it's there, but I have yet to see a copy)

Fallen Angel #23

Gene Simmons' Dominatrix #6

Gene Simmons' Zipper #3

Snaked #2

Speed Racer: Chronicles of the Racer #1

Star Trek Alien Spotlight: Borg

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Intelligence Gathering #1

Wormwood Gentleman Corpse: Calamari Rising #2

Nine of these had multiple covers!

Thanks for the list!!

If anyone else is interested in figuring out which book is the "1st appearance preview" please help with the search. I did some more digging and these are the specific release dates I found:

12/19/07: Doctor Who #1

1/04/08: Doctor Who Classics #2

1/09/08: Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the here and Now #4, Gene Simmons' Dominatrix #6

1/16/08: Angel: After the Fall #3, Fallen Angel #23, & ST TNG Intelligence Gathering #1

1/23/08: Snaked #2, & ST Alien Spotlight: Borg

1/30/08: Badger Saves the World #2, & Gene Simmons' Zipper #3

2/02/08: Speed Racer: Chronicles of the Racer #1

However, I couldn't find the release dates for Duostar Racers or Wormwood GCCR #2.

I found those dates by searching Diamond's archives. Here is an example page:

http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/archive/2008/010908.txt

You can change the dates in the address line to find specific release days. (12/26/07 and 1/02/08 are Wednesdays, but due to the holidays those shipping dates are actually Fridays 12/28/07 and 1/04/08)

If we can find Duostar Racers #1 and Wormwood Gentleman Corpse: Calamari Rising #2 we'll be able to confirm which books was 1st.

You can change the dates in the address line to find specific release days. (12/26/07 and 1/02/08 are Wednesdays, but due to the holidays those shipping dates are actually Fridays 12/28/07 and 1/04/08)

If we can find Duostar Racers #1 and Wormwood Gentleman Corpse: Calamari Rising #2 we'll be able to confirm which books was 1st.

Doctor Who Classics #2 (1/2/08) was definitely the first with the preview. Duostar Racers #1 didn't finally appear until 6/4/08 despite first being advertised (under "Duo Stars #1") for a January release, so it likely doesn't have the preview (I'll check). Wormwood: Calamari Rising #2 came out on 2/27/08, a week after Locke & Key #1 was published. Doctor Who #1 (2008) didn't appear until 2/27/08. See Ground Zero Omaha.

Edited by kuphd06

There's a guy on ebay UK who was selling the first arc for £100 and he's upped it now to £150. Be interesting if it sells.

I've held onto mine for that long already I'm just going to wait for the movie if it gets made.

Doctor Who Classics #2 (1/2/08) was definitely the first with the preview. Duostar Racers #1 didn't finally appear until 6/4/08 despite first being advertised (under "Duo Stars #1") for a January release, so it likely doesn't have the preview (I'll check). Wormwood: Calamari Rising #2 came out on 2/27/08, a week after Locke & Key #1 was published. Doctor Who #1 (2008) didn't appear until 2/27/08. See Ground Zero Omaha.

Thanks!!

I picked up a #1 today.

I can't tell whether it's a 1st or 2nd print though. Sold listings show a variety of 1st and 2nd prints that look identical...maybe a lot of people are just confused, or maybe it's just me.

Two ways to tell 1st vs. 2nd: (1) Look at the IDW logo on the front cover. The eye inside the light bulb is colored red in 2nd prints.; (2) The publication information at the bottom of the inside front cover will state either first printing or second printing.

Two ways to tell 1st vs. 2nd: (1) Look at the IDW logo on the front cover. The eye inside the light bulb is colored red in 2nd prints.; (2) The publication information at the bottom of the inside front cover will state either first printing or second printing.

Great info.

I really don't want to open this sucker up, so i'm going to go by the IDW logo eyeball. That being said, i still can't tell lol I'm gonna go stare at a bunch of covers on ebay.

Edit: Here's a pic from a previous thread where this was asked, in case anyone ever needs this info again.

Redeye.jpg

Edited by 2staples

The one on the left is a 1st print; the one on the right is a 2nd. Take a photo of yours, and I'll tell you what you have. :)

Hehe nah I got it now, looks like i have the 1st print. NM for 8 bucks at a shop.

Thanks for the help (worship)

I was surprised they had it priced that low...went back the next day and grabbed #2, #3, and #4 at 5 bucks each and a signed edition #1 headgames for 12 bucks.

My more LCS would have them for at least double the price and in horrible condition...I guess I don't mind the short drive to make it my usual spot from now on hm