• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Church Runs (or lack thereof)

67 posts in this topic

As opposed to some of the other 'pedigrees', the Church books were available in "runs" early on. They were re-sold in runs of 'chunks of runs'. As they were re-sold from the re-solds, it appears more and more that the "runs" (complete or large number) are being broken up (if for no other reason than their cost)(I could never have the runs of Church copies that I have in today's marketplace).

However, it is a 'sham' to see this done, although inevitable as time goes on.

What 'runs' are still together?

Is anyone trying to place a run 'back to together'?

John V. has some; Steve F. and Steve G.

To start it off....I have Mystery Men, Fantastic Comics, Wonderworlds, Champ/Champion and little runs like Crash Comics and Banner/Capt. Courageous (and the complete run of Rex Dexter of Mars).

Thoughts? Input

jb

I'm definitely small potatoes when it comes to high-grade golden age pedigrees, especially Church books. But I have managed to assemble 10 issues of the Church run of Feature Comics.

I believe that Steve F. has a complete run of Planet Comics if I am not mistaken. I know a boardie who owns many of the Mile High copies of Blue Beetle from issue #48 onward. One day I hope those to be mine :wishluck:

I believe that Steve F. has a complete run of Planet Comics if I am not mistaken. I know a boardie who owns many of the Mile High copies of Blue Beetle from issue #48 onward. One day I hope those to be mine :wishluck:

Not if I get to them first :sumo:

I had the Church run of Don Fortune once. I also had the Church Bulletman run, but the #1 was the Denver.

I had nearly all the Larson Zip Comics many years ago.

I'd like to try and assemble a small run of SF books from a certain title. That would be very cool, as I have owned so few of them over the years.

I have some Church copies but not even a short run of anything as they are too expensive. I have managed to get short sets of some other pedigrees but since I'm generally not a run collector it doesn't happen often.

:cry:

If you do, then we both know that I will end up with them eventually. :foryou:

I'm definitely small potatoes when it comes to high-grade golden age pedigrees, especially Church books.

Likewise, but I do have the Church set of Simon & Kirby title My Date comics, the series lasted just 4 issues. The books were purchased by an employee of Chuck's early on, and apparently spent an additional 30 years in the fabled Colorado climate, which I thought was pretty cool.

Not much I can contribute here other than a story. Around 1983 or so when I was in college, a LCS had the entire Church run of Catmans. I bought one copy - #13 which I still have. I know some of those ended up with Nicholas Cage in his collection when he sold through Heritage.

Not sure why I picked the #13 - not knowing at that time of relative scarcity and desirability but it does look great in my collection.

:cry:

If you do, then we both know that I will end up with them eventually. :foryou:

Only if you trade me a Batman 1 :baiting:

You have the complete Church runs of those Fox titles??

(worship)

It took me about twelve years to put the Wonderworlds back together again...jon

Jon, how can you make a statement like that, and not post the complete run??!! For 12 years of dedication, at least show off the goods :)

I have been trying for years to reassemble the Church run of Detective 1-26, but so far only have acquired a little over a third of those copies.

If you combined Mark Zaid's and my More Fun Collections, you would have most of the Church copies after #56.

See my sig line for the run I'm trying to put back together, Dell Wyatt Earp. I only have 1 at the moment. And, as I mentioned to some folks last weekend, every day that goes means less and less interest in putting it back together.

See my sig line for the run I'm trying to put back together, Dell Wyatt Earp. I only have 1 at the moment. And, as I mentioned to some folks last weekend, every day that goes means less and less interest in putting it back together.

:gossip: My sigs are turned on and I see other people's, but I do not see yours

Steve F. had the whole run of Church Thrillings on the Metro site about a year ago. My understanding is that he was trying to sell them as a set. They're not on the site anymore, but I don't know if he sold them or just pulled them from the site.

Mark Wilson had the Excitings, but broke them up back in his World's Finest days. I bought the #17 and #31 from him. I sold the #17 many years ago, but still have the #31.