• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wow, an original Frazetta oil painting on ebay

91 posts in this topic

I had a Stipple portrait of Alice Cooper entered into teen arts in 1989 and won my region lol

I won a rememberance day poetry contest in school by remixing/adding to Black Sabbath lyrics lol (smell the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning etc) :insane:

Your managing partner wants you back in the office to complete a few more T1s.

he can kizz my arse! the 7 days/wk every-waking-hour bit of the season doesn't start for a couple weeks yet ;)

Show up at the krappy convention next Sunday and I'll buy you lunch.

:o In a week, eh? If I can make it, its a deal :banana: I miss the dim sum lunches with you and aardvark

I had a Stipple portrait of Alice Cooper entered into teen arts in 1989 and won my region lol

I won a rememberance day poetry contest in school by remixing/adding to Black Sabbath lyrics lol (smell the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning etc) :insane:

Your managing partner wants you back in the office to complete a few more T1s.

he can kizz my arse! the 7 days/wk every-waking-hour bit of the season doesn't start for a couple weeks yet ;)

Show up at the krappy convention next Sunday and I'll buy you lunch.

:o In a week, eh? If I can make it, its a deal :banana: I miss the dim sum lunches with you and aardvark

Yup, the 15th. Be there early because I get bored early and leave by 1 PM

I'll try and make it. Can't guarantee as the wife may have plans for me but it would be fun, I'll try and be there :) I'll definitely come early if I do as leaving by 1pm sounds perfect.

Now you MUST post a pic! :sumo:

:popcorn:

Damn, Shiver posted here. Now I feel all flighty about posting my artwork, nothing I've ever done could compare to his works, especially since I only worked in acrylics.

I'll post a pic on the morrow, though. My interpretation of the Molly Hatchet album cover, and another of what I considered to be a 'rock star', which won first place in that non-relevant state prize.

I still say that acrylic paints suck on principle.

Don't forget that Warhol had quite a career in illustration an advertising before shifting over to 'pop art' and other things. The comparison with Frazetta is not so far out of the question. Who knows, they may have very well crossed paths at some point in the late 40's or in the 50's, as Frank did advertising work as well during that time period.

For me, the thing that Warhol really stands out for is blurring the lines of what is art and what is advertsing/illustration. Yes, he had some groundbreaking ideas in color and printmaking and he really made some people look at things differently with his art/ideas (which is fantastic).

Is Frank's subject matter a narrow spectrum? Yes. But that shouldn't discount him as a talent. You can't look down your nose at Frazetta as 'an illustrator.' He's every inch the artist of Warhol or Rembrandt or Van Gogh or Monet. He just happened to be in this genre instead of mass-producing prints of Marilyn Monroe or painting wealthy families or chairs or flower gardens. Put Frazetta in any time period with the so-called masters and give him the same 'artistic' parameters that they had & I think he would be considered every inch the master they were.

Hey, if Warhol just stayed in illustration, we wouldn't know him, He wasn't that good.

Don't forget Ivan Karp who help make him.

Illusrtation, one of the greats of the 19th cent Monnet started off a mediocre illiustrator, but compare his steamboat illustration to him late impressionistic period and you can't.

hey promoters, gallery/ mafia, can make or break one's career. just like the comic mafia can set false prices on a comic book ;)

But for a comic artist, Kirby has more originality. He also ( at the least Co-created) historic characters/ stories in the Marvel Universe. In Kirby's late 60's -70's work, he pretty much dips into the fine art with his use of black white abstraction is original and second to none, just really look at his mess, even devil dinosaurs is where it's at!!! ( I mean what is U2 without Brian Eno ??)

I'd take a great Kirby or unique Kurtzman over a Frazetta painting, any day.

I mean according to some of you, Barron Storey ( my one time mentor) who was a big influence for Bill Sienkiewicz, and Dave McKean, Neil Gaiman, etc would be the founder of contemporary comic art/ graphic novels.Which he should get credit for, but you don't buy his product like a Frazetta or a Ditko.

Also, how about Ditko's Rom , Indiana Jones work?

I think it's funny that you mention two comic's artists that I really don't like as paragons of illustrative virtue... Kirby and Ditko are most of the reason that I don't collect Silver Age.

I guess we'll have to chalk this one up to irreconcilable differences...

Oh, and I really like Sienkiewicz, but don't have much use for McKean after Arkham Asylum...

I think it's funny that you mention two comic's artists that I really don't like as paragons of illustrative virtue... Kirby and Ditko are most of the reason that I don't collect Silver Age.

I guess we'll have to chalk this one up to irreconcilable differences...

Oh, and I really like Sienkiewicz, but don't have much use for McKean after Arkham Asylum...

:o:o:o

Get thee behind me Satan!!!! :baiting:

I know nothing about art. Can't engage in any sophisticated discussion of the merits of any particuliar era, artist or style.

All I know is what I like.

And I really like Frazetta.

I know nothing about art. Can't engage in any sophisticated discussion of the merits of any particuliar era, artist or style.

All I know is what I like.

And I really like Frazetta.

Yeah, me too.

This thread makes Hulk's head hurt :frustrated:

The times establish the validity of any kind of art. Right now, Frazetta may not be considered a "fine" artist by most, but give it 50-75 years and he may be hanging in the Smithsonian (and not ironically).

Remember, many artistic movements were not appreciated in their time.

Technically, Frazetta has the skills to match or surpass most fine artists. Circumstance and personal interests landed him where he is. Had he been born 100 years earlier and shared a studio with someone like John Singer Sargent, he could be considered one of the great early American artists. The sheer talent is there.

Some artists, within the body of their work, show that they did have the technical skills; ie: Picasso, Dali. Others never proved it to me. Warhol, Kostabi, and their ilk were more PR than talent. Sometimes in the course of history and culture, large groups of people are fooled by "visionaries" with a good line of BS.

For me, and this is the honest truth, if I could hav any original work hanging in my office and money was not an object.... It would be some original Frazetta oil paintings.

I would pass up Warhol, Picasso, whatever. Well, Da Vinci sketches showing some invention would be tops, but that is not so much art, as in history.

For me, and this is the honest truth, if I could hav any original work hanging in my office and money was not an object.... It would be some original Frazetta oil paintings.

I would pass up Warhol, Picasso, whatever. Well, Da Vinci sketches showing some invention would be tops, but that is not so much art, as in history.

I would like to own an Uncle Scrooge Barks original oil painting.

And I don't even collect Barks or Ducks.

bin-big.jpg

I would like to own an Uncle Scrooge Barks original oil painting.

And I don't even collect Barks or Ducks.

bin-big.jpg

Love Barks oils, too!

Hey......I own a signed Litho of that pic Not worth nearly as much as an original oil.....but still a very sweet print. There are only 395 of these and I'm proud to be the owner of 1 of them.

IMG_3905.jpg

As for Frazetta, Barks and/or any original oil paintings......they are waaaaayyyy out of my price range. But at the last San Diego Comic Con I saw a Frazetta signed litho I really liked and gave them my best offer of $600 cash..........

after talking it over and making some phone calls......

they declined. :(

I think if there is ever a fantasy artist whose paintings go for $10 million+ at Sotheby's auctions, it's gonna be Frazetta

It's not that crazy really.

People are paying $10 million+ for the best Warhol paintings now and they are not even that old.

Warhol was way over-rated and continues to be, generally by pretentious elitists. Frazetta has a unique talent and is able to capture something special in most examples of his work. This is a great one - I remember seeing this for sale about a year ago, if I remember correctly. If I had the dough, I would have been all over it.

Come on, Fine art versus illustration.

Warhol VS. Frazetta, apples and oranges here.

Brainless ideas, and a dime a dozen techincal skills. who are you trying to fool ?

I bet there are 100,000's of artists who can reproduce Frazetta's paintings, myself being one of them. As for most comic artists ideas/vision, not much there either.

Although for this genera, Frazetta deserves a premium, and is one of the greats......for a comic book artist.

I'll give you this much, some illustration/ comic art is under valued and deserves to climb, especially historic pieces.

Prove it.

Hey......I own a signed Litho of that pic Not worth nearly as much as an original oil.....but still a very sweet print. There are only 395 of these and I'm proud to be the owner of 1 of them.

IMG_3905.jpg

As for Frazetta, Barks and/or any original oil paintings......they are waaaaayyyy out of my price range. But at the last San Diego Comic Con I saw a Frazetta signed litho I really liked and gave them my best offer of $600 cash..........

If you wanted to add to that awesome Barks litho, redmelvin has plenty signed lithos ending in 4 hours

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/redmelvin27

IMG_3905.jpg

LOVE that crazy "Batman" camera-angle!

lol

-slym