• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you know you have a Church Mile High?

20 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if someone could share how you know if you have a mile high? What are the particular markings? And, if there are no markings...how would you know?

There are four main indicators:

1. Distributor mark (used on nearly all through 43/44 but very much less afterwards)

2. Smell (very distinctive and fresh smell similar to a newly opened book of crayons)

3. State of Preservation (color, gloss, and PQ are exceptional for the time)

4. Chain of ownership

There is a small degree of complexity to distributor marks and the upcoming pedigree book will be your best bet for information. Many examples of the early distributor marks can be seen in the Gerber Photojournal guide.

There's a master list out there as well.....and then there's the Church Markings......and the provenance of ownership stuff that comes into play....

but the easiest way to tell is to read the slab label (although I've heard that it's not always 100%)

Here's are a couple D codes:

Krazy9-3.jpg

Lightning5-2.jpg

Here's a C code

RealLife13-1.jpg

Here's a no code:

AMF2_3.jpg

Thanks for the info...I always wondered how you'd tell without the slab. And, thanks for posting the pictures...they really are in a class all their own :cloud9:. I hope one day to pick up a nice white page copy.

I assume about 80% of Mile High books have noseprints at the centerfold. That smell is like crack for comic geeks.

Finally, an authority on the smell of a comic geek's crack!

Here is my only early Church. Most of the Church Tip Tops have the pencil "swoosh" mark like you see here on the "T" and on the shark.

TipTop052Churchfcsm.jpg

For those who are unaware, the "double-slash" Church books, like this one, are purported to have been purchased second hand and are generally from the 1930s.

Here is my only early Church. Most of the Church Tip Tops have the pencil "swoosh" mark like you see here on the "T" and on the shark.

TipTop052Churchfcsm.jpg

For those who are unaware, the "double-slash" Church books, like this one, are purported to have been purchased second hand and are generally from the 1930s.

Even so, they are usually very impressive copies, like that TipTop!

Q: How do you know you have a Church Mile High?

A: When the credit card bill comes, and the transaction with Metropolis dwarfs everything else you bought that month. That's how you know you have a Church book. :P

lol

TipTop052Churchfcsm.jpg

Even so, they are usually very impressive copies, like that TipTop!

Thanks! I'm not complaining - they may be second hand but they were likely added to the collection early on. :) I've been meaning to crack that out, but haven't gotten around to it. Need to do that soon.

My sole Church book.

WhizComics13CGC9_2Church.jpg

I thought there was a sordid tale to go with that one......so you've still got it...

Yup. Book is staying in my hands until the alleged thief reimburses me.