• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Original Art -- more or less desirable now?

276 posts in this topic

Very fair price, especially considering everything going against it: Overseas seller, no feedback, crummy pic, Ebay UK only. Also, unlike the earlier Ebay UK auctions, this one never made it onto CAF's featured auction list. The only way I found out about it (as I'm sure is the case for many of you here) is because Justin posted a link back on page 21.

So as strong as this price seems, it makes me wonder how much more it might have sold for with a dealer or even on Ebay US.

Regardless, art-wise, the second best page to pop up for auction after the "Fearful Symmetry" title page...so congrats to the winner!!

I'm not sure any greater exposure would have made a difference. All of the Watchmen pages that have sold recently that I'm aware of privately or publicly have all gone to known entities that are aware of Watchmen art when it shows up on eBay or eBay UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of this auction was also one of the small pool of recent buyers of these pages.

Actually, I'm one of the recent bidders on the Watchmen pieces, but never a winner. Until now. I've been looking for a nice page, and this one fits the bill. Has three main characters, including Ror. It's not a "A" page, but I figured it for a solid "B". And, as I've been watching and from what I know of the private sales, the price seemed right.

Ron

Actually, I'm one of the recent bidders on the Watchmen pieces, but never a winner. Until now. I've been looking for a nice page, and this one fits the bill. Has three main characters, including Ror. It's not a "A" page, but I figured it for a solid "B". And, as I've been watching and from what I know of the private sales, the price seemed right.

Ron

You won it? Congrats!

Ron

Congrats, Ron! A real beaut...look forward to seeing a nice scan of it on CAF.

there is one more negative in terms of how it was listed. Not only was it on ebay UK, it wasn't even in the OA section! It was listed in "regular" art.

Malvin

Yup, miscategorized as well.

For what it's worth, I know of a couple of serious collectors who are into WM who weren't aware of this auction.

I don't understand these comments about the dialogue putting off some 'bidders'... if you don't like a little 'shock and awe' with your comics why would you even read or collect Watchmen... seems like that was the whole point of the series.

Congrats to the winner... steller page!

There's a difference between enjoying the GN as a whole and spending serious money to own an original page of a particular exchange. I don't think being put off by the dialogue of this particular page is so much of a stretch.

Right. I only buy art now to hang on the wall. This particular page has a bit of a discussion of rape -- nothing I'd bat an eyelash at in terms of reading, but hanging said piece on the wall would necessitate "putting it out there" for everyone who entered my home (okay, maybe put it in the bedroom? but that could be even worse! ;)) I agree that it could scare some bidders away from bidding or bidding agressively.

Anyway, great page (congrats Ron!) at a solid but not crazy price.

Nice page -- nice price

US $7,900.00

I recognize that eBay ID but not sure who it is -- someone familiar though...

7900 seems cheap these days, actually! Glad we're seeing more of these pages and that they are going to multiple collectors. One benefit of being such a long story is that more collectors can enjoy the art in their collections. Certainly prices remain prohibitive for the vast majority of collectors, though, but this price seems reasonable.

For a page with both Rorschach and Nite Owl, not a bad deal at all! $7900 isn't chump change by any means, but once again, a decent price compared to what it would have sold for last year and less than what it would have sold for privately as well. A page with Nite Owl (in costume) and Rorschach (out of costume) went for well over $10K privately last summer. Another page with Nite Owl and Rorschach (both in costume) sold in the high-teens. Congrats to the winner!!

Ok. I've been outed. The second page, which I like a lot (Hitler was a vegetarian), was a last second "let me throw an offer in and see what happens". I actually thought the first page would go for a little less, but as often happens, another CAFer had an interest and priced it about where I did. But, this page - which I thought should be a little less than the first one - was sitting there, and I was watching as time ran out....and I couldn't stop myself. I thought $8k was right for the page, but prices have been hard to get a fix on....

Anyway, I'm poorer, but pretty happy with the pair.

On an related note, paying for something over $10k thr eBay/Paypal is difficult. I had to go outside of the system and pay in two parts. Anyone else have this trouble?

Congratulations Ron.

I don't collect Watchmen but the line about Hitler being a vegetarian was actually very memorable.

Transfers over $10K tightened up with the Patriot Act. You found the work around though. lol.

Cheers!

N