• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Original Art -- more or less desirable now?

276 posts in this topic

Haha! No, I did not get another two pages. ;)

I do believe these two were better than average, though. To me, "average" pages would be the pirate pages, certain non-costume pages, and obvious story "filler" pages. Which is pretty much all we've seen the last few years on the rare times a WM page has shown up on Ebay.

And, yes, as Hari said, it's all about the story. This is not flashy art a la Charest or McFarlane or [take your pick]. But it is great comic book storytelling, where each panel and page is completely planned out as a part of a whole. It took me a couple of extra reads to really appreciate the nuances and I still see something new each time I flip through it. So even "average" pages are interesting. For the right price, I'd be happy to pick those up, too.

I do believe these two were better than average, though. To me, "average" pages would be the pirate pages, certain non-costume pages, and obvious story "filler" pages. Which is pretty much all we've seen the last few years on the rare times a WM page has shown up on Ebay.

And, yes, as Hari said, it's all about the story. This is not flashy art a la Charest or McFarlane or [take your pick]. But it is great comic book storytelling, where each panel and page is completely planned out as a part of a whole. It took me a couple of extra reads to really appreciate the nuances and I still see something new each time I flip through it. So even "average" pages are interesting. For the right price, I'd be happy to pick those up, too.

Hi Felix,

What you're calling "average" (pirate pages, non-costumed story pages, filler pages), I call "below-average". In my mind:

"below-average" 2-4K

"average" 5-8K

"above-average" 8-12K

"great" 12-20K"

"top 10 page" 20K+

Hence, these pages I felt were in the "average" category. Sounds like you're own grading scheme starts at "average". So, we're probably actually thinking along the same lines.

Hi Felix,

What you're calling "average" (pirate pages, non-costumed story pages, filler pages), I call "below-average". In my mind:

"below-average" 2-4K

"average" 5-8K

"above-average" 8-12K

"great" 12-20K"

"top 10 page" 20K+

Hence, these pages I felt were in the "average" category. Sounds like you're own grading scheme starts at "average". So, we're probably actually thinking along the same lines.

Yes I tend to agree with Hari about that price range. But I do also agree with Felix to me these were great pages worth 8k. I preferred the manhattan with laurie sequence as this was a fantastic scene that also worked really well in the film. Well done to whoever won them !

I preferred the manhattan with laurie sequence as this was a fantastic scene that also worked really well in the film. Well done to whoever won them !

It's funny, watching the film in IMAX on the Thursday, that particular scene stood out and I was reminded that would be an interesting page to have but no idea where it ended up and then lo and behold it pops up 2 days later.

Maybe I should start visualising other pages ;o)

hey Joe,

Can't you sleep!!?? I'm at work so have an excuse...

In the film I enjoyed the Manahattan scenes on Mars best followed by all Rorschach.ones. The Nixon scenes were very bleeehhhhhh.......

could you visualise the 'I did it thirty-five minutes ago'

I know, I know, I was just thinking it must be pretty late for you too. Right, going to bed now. Honest, guv.

Hi Felix,

"below-average" 2-4K

"average" 5-8K

"above-average" 8-12K

"great" 12-20K"

"top 10 page" 20K+

Those values look reasonable enough. We may differ in how we rate certain pages, though. Being as objective as I can, I would say the Manhattan/Laurie page is at least "above average" (even if I don't personally love it). Obviously, still all very subjective.

If I could assign letter grades, I'd give these two pages a "B" and pirate/non-costume/filler pages a "C". Again, there's something interesting going on in most of the pages, so it's hard for me to rate any lower than a C...but one page I'd rate less than a C would be the last page to Chapter 9. That one really does nothing for me...it was also once offered to me for $10K doh!

You'll need to explain your detective work to me Gene. This one went over my head.

S

I'm not a fan of private auctions because besides the obvious threat of shill-bidding, private auctions encourage thrill-bidding. Thrill-bidders can bid with impunity since their ID will never be revealed and also, since Ebay has removed negative feedback for deadbeats.

KK has been a notorious thrill-bidder. Especially for private and reserve auctions (in the latter, always bidding just shy of the reserve). Or, if he accidentally hits the reserve, he'll retract the highest bid.

I avoid auctions where I think KK is playing his games. That sucks for sellers. In this case, KK won with a last-second snipe, which made me think it might be legit. There was still the matter of paying for it (no sure thing with KK). Once again, he surprised me by making good on his bid.

As for the detective work...I have my ways :devil:

I think this is a pretty strong price for this page. This might be an example where the movie scene was memorable enough to increase the desirability of the original page. Certainly a memorable scene on its own merit.

Congrats to the winner, KK or not.

Hello Guys,

First time posting here. Actually just recently came across this great forum.

Anyways KK whoever that is was not the winner of that auction.

I know because I am the winner of the auction,lol

As far as the quality of the page I prefer this page over 75% of the book.

Great shot of Dr.Manhattan 15 to be exact and silk spectre on the same page with no stats.Its cool it was in the movie but not a deciding factor for me. Some of the pages I have seen sell and trying to sell cant raise a candle to this page in my humble opinion but to each his own. Anyways if anyone has any more pages of this quality from watchmen they want to sell for 7k please contact me

thanks,

Matthew