• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Original Art -- more or less desirable now?

276 posts in this topic

Gotta admit, this was somewhat surprising to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220372689132

Whether or not collectors would pony up big for the movie costumes was the question of the day for me. At least three bidders were over $4600. That's pretty healthy for art that doesn't come from the comic nor depict the comic costumes.

Even more importantly, the winner was Albert. If there's a dealer with his finger on the pulse of the market, it's Albert. If he still sees upside on this piece, at this level, then it would indicate to me that there's still strong demand for WM.

He's won at least one other of these recent WM auctions from Joe. The scrambled user ID and feedback number looked familiar, so I double-checked with a bidder search:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=albertmoy&completed=1&all=1&rows=25&sort=3

Better Albert than the Donnellys. At least with Albert, if you decide you want it down the road, it's just a question of "how much".

How come no Junk?

I figured based on the drawing that they'd add the black Fruit-o-the-looms, but nuh uh.

The shirt and lunchbox are both all blue. No Dr M junk. I guess you don't want that on your lunchbox, but why no undies then?

-e.

Well, here's something interesting, a decent page offered at a buy it now price, which, prior to the movie's release, may not have been considered all that unreasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATCHMEN-9-art-pg5-Dr-Manhattan-Silk-Spectre-on-Mars_W0QQitemZ250384681101QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250384681101&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1307

But not yet bought?

Ended with no bids by the way...

Well, here's something interesting, a decent page offered at a buy it now price, which, prior to the movie's release, may not have been considered all that unreasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATCHMEN-9-art-pg5-Dr-Manhattan-Silk-Spectre-on-Mars_W0QQitemZ250384681101QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250384681101&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1307

I am surprised there was no bids as well. That is a pretty nice page.

Three shots of Dr. M's Keister, some great images of the backs of people's heads, and not one of the more memorable pages from the book...It's not what I would stretch for financially by any means.

Double FMV starting bid to boot?

That and who the seller is might have something to do with it.

C

I was not surprised it finished with no bids. You'd have to be Krazy to pay that price for that page. :screwy:

My sense is that the hype from the movie will die down and prices will stabilize, and even perhaps there may be some relative bargains (partly also due to the economy and less cash overall). However, my guess is that within a year the prices will start going up again, especially on the great pages. Over time, these pages are worth the investment. There are not many comics that make it mainstream as literature, and this is one of them. Go look at the other top 100 books of the past 100 years on the NY Times list and tell me which one you can get an original piece of? Maus would fall into this category as well, although those pages from what I can tell are not available.

My sense is that the hype from the movie will die down and prices will stabilize, and even perhaps there may be some relative bargains (partly also due to the economy and less cash overall). However, my guess is that within a year the prices will start going up again, especially on the great pages. Over time, these pages are worth the investment. There are not many comics that make it mainstream as literature, and this is one of them. Go look at the other top 100 books of the past 100 years on the NY Times list and tell me which one you can get an original piece of? Maus would fall into this category as well, although those pages from what I can tell are not available.

You think the economy will have bounced back within the year??

hm

Joseph

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

Decent page, but whoever paid that much is a fool!

:insane:

Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't say "steal", but a fair price, especially compared to where it would have been a few months ago. Now...could that be because it was listed on Ebay UK only and was somewhat under-the-radar (I wouldn't have noticed it at all if it hadn't shown up on CAF the day before)...or is this a correction? (shrug) A regular Ebay auction with full exposure will tell us more.

Regardless, it was the nicest page that I can remember showing up for sale publicly in a long time. Hope we see more.

Decent page, but whoever paid that much is a fool!

:insane:

Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't say "steal", but a fair price, especially compared to where it would have been a few months ago. Now...could that be because it was listed on Ebay UK only and was somewhat under-the-radar (I wouldn't have noticed it at all if it hadn't shown up on CAF the day before)...or is this a correction? (shrug) A regular Ebay auction with full exposure will tell us more.

Regardless, it was the nicest page that I can remember showing up for sale publicly in a long time. Hope we see more.

If the exchange rate is still hovering around 1.4 to 1 then you could not have gotten this cheaper unless you used a gun.

full.gif

Congrats.

C

My sense is that it's a bit like an echo chamber in here. Maybe I've been reading too many of Gene's posts but who else is buying these pages? I know of three sales of Watchmen pages (two public - Felix and Albert -- the other private buyer is a known name as well) and all of them to "us" basically. It feels like all of the potential buyers are on this message board. We're our own market and seemingly competing only with each other. I just find it ironic -- but not ironic enough to stop looking for the right page to buy!

Put it up for sale here and let's find out. :baiting: