• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Original Art -- more or less desirable now?

276 posts in this topic

Man, after two auctions in two weeks, I've been half-expecting another one to pop up on Ebay this week :insane:

:wishluck:

How about another two more from the same site....?

I won the last auction in part so that no one could say I cost them anything by posting about it :grin:

Thanks to Paul for letting me off the hook with these two lol :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230334157774

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230334189124

Two very nice Manhattan pages. Best of luck to the bidders!

:popcorn:

They've been removed! Anyone know what happened??

Sheesh! I'm apparently the only :screwy: who posts links to auctions I'm interested in :insane:

On the plus side, I had something to do tomorrow and would have missed the end of the auctions. I prefer to do my snipi...er, "bidding"...live.

I don't recall seeing anything blatant that would have caused Ebay to pull the auctions. Probably just some dumb Ebay technicality. Hopefully, they'll be back up soon...and we can start this all over again.

Four good pages the last three weeks...that has to be unprecedented. Plus, two at the same time by the same seller with (for all intents and purposes) no reserve. Don't know if we'll ever see anything like this again. Just amazing.

I can still access them (shrug)

Issue Number 3, Page 5 is at $5,412.04 with 1 day 3 hours to go (27 bids)

Issue Number 3, Page 27 is at $5,296.89 with 1 day 3 hours to go (21 bids)

Those pages are no longer available. If you click on his name and then click view items for sale it says 0. Or if you go to one of the auctions and it comes up - click view other items for sale and nothing comes up.

Those pages are no longer available. If you click on his name and then click view items for sale it says 0. Or if you go to one of the auctions and it comes up - click view other items for sale and nothing comes up.

Auctions are still up and running... you are accessing the wrong site.

You have to log in to ebay.co.uk

Agreed. I think we definitely know the range of FMV for a certain type of page. We have not seen any "pure A grade" pages at public auction though. Still, it's always good to have more data on which to base buying decisions.

When it comes to the "A" stuff, unless it's on Ebay, you're paying a premium for the opportunity to own it as much as for the art itself. Some would consider that "overpaying", but it happens every day in this hobby.

As for FMV...these recent pages were all very solid and would have gotten quite a bit more last year, via private sale or Ebay. Too bad for the sellers, but a good opportunity for buyers who waited. This was the exact scenario I had hoped for...that pages which were originally bought by fans in the 80's, who were not aware of current values, would come up for sale on Ebay around this time to capitalize on the movie hype. Interest has definitely cooled, but I'm not complaining! Because once pages like these go from casual collectors to current serious collectors, they won't be available again for a long time. Or if they do, will certainly come with higher price tags.

I also don't think you can draw a clear conclusion about the market in general off these two auctions. This was a totally unique situation where two similar pages were being auctioned concurrently. They more or less divided the pool of potential buyers. I thought the earlier auctions were pretty good deals, but I think these are REALLY good deals.

BTW...what did everyone think of the two pages? I knew the Manhattan/Silk Spectre page would have a higher FMV, and the results proved it. Not surprised...Manhattan and Silk Spectre in every panel from a very memorable sequence. Personally (and I say this with the caveat that there's no such thing as a "bad" WM page), the "domestic drama" scenes weren't amongst my favorites. So I much preferred the second page, with Manhattan, Nixon, and the Cold War about to get hot.

Finally...where are the pages for sale this week?:P

When it comes to the "A" stuff, unless it's on Ebay, you're paying a premium for the opportunity to own it as much as for the art itself. Some would consider that "overpaying", but it happens every day in this hobby.

As for FMV...these recent pages were all very solid and would have gotten quite a bit more last year, via private sale or Ebay. Too bad for the sellers, but a good opportunity for buyers who waited. This was the exact scenario I had hoped for...that pages which were originally bought by fans in the 80's, who were not aware of current values, would come up for sale on Ebay around this time to capitalize on the movie hype. Interest has definitely cooled, but I'm not complaining! Because once pages like these go from casual collectors to current serious collectors, they won't be available again for a long time. Or if they do, will certainly come with higher price tags.

I also don't think you can draw a clear conclusion about the market in general off these two auctions. This was a totally unique situation where two similar pages were being auctioned concurrently. They more or less divided the pool of potential buyers. I thought the earlier auctions were pretty good deals, but I think these are REALLY good deals.

BTW...what did everyone think of the two pages? I knew the Manhattan/Silk Spectre page would have a higher FMV, and the results proved it. Not surprised...Manhattan and Silk Spectre in every panel from a very memorable sequence. Personally (and I say this with the caveat that there's no such thing as a "bad" WM page), the "domestic drama" scenes weren't amongst my favorites. So I much preferred the second page, with Manhattan, Nixon, and the Cold War about to get hot.

Finally...where are the pages for sale this week?:P

I'd say these were average pages. I don't think they would have gone for much more last year, actually. But, I agree there are no "bad" WM pages, since it's all about the story anyway.