• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROLE CALL for Adams' collectors....

110 posts in this topic

Here's a good question, what would you say are the top 10 most expensive Adams books?

Assuming you mean CGC'd , my list is as follows :

1.) GL 76

2.) Det 400

3.) Avengers 93

4.) Batman 200

5.) Batman 251

6.) X MEN 58

7.) Avengers 94

8.) Batman 227

9.) Detect 369

10.) WF 198 (based on the recent sale)

Here's a good question, what would you say are the top 10 most expensive Adams books?

Assuming you mean CGC'd , my list is as follows :

1.) GL 76

2.) Det 400

3.) Avengers 93

4.) Batman 200

5.) Batman 251

6.) X MEN 58

7.) Avengers 94

8.) Batman 227

9.) Detect 369

10.) WF 198 (based on the recent sale)

I think you need to put Vampirella #1 on the list.

What are the Top 10 hardest in grade Adams books? confused.gif

In high grade or low grade, the hardest Adams books have to be the 3 DC regular romance covers (Heart Throbs 120, Secret Hearts 134, Young Romance 154). Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #2 is Gothic Romance and isn't that hard to find.

The Young Romance 154 and Secret Hearts 134 were the last two Adams books that I found to complete my collection of Neal Adams comics.

By the way, Overstreet lists Secret Hearts 120 and Girls Romance 134 as having Adams covers. I don't think so. I have a copy of GR 134 and it isn't Adams and SH 120 is too early to be Adams. I believe these were mixups of titles and numbers that appeared in the 1974 Neal Adams Index and have existed to this day.

What are the Top 10 hardest in grade Adams books? confused.gif

In high grade or low grade, the hardest Adams books have to be the 3 DC regular romance covers (Heart Throbs 120, Secret Hearts 134, Young Romance 154). Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #2 is Gothic Romance and isn't that hard to find.

The Young Romance 154 and Secret Hearts 134 were the last two Adams books that I found to complete my collection of Neal Adams comics.

By the way, Overstreet lists Secret Hearts 120 and Girls Romance 134 as having Adams covers. I don't think so. I have a copy of GR 134 and it isn't Adams and SH 120 is too early to be Adams. I believe these were mixups of titles and numbers that appeared in the 1974 Neal Adams Index and have existed to this day.

You're bang-on. Those Adams Romance Covers are brutally tough in high grade. I've never seen a Secret Hearts # 134 above FN. Although they don't have widespread appeal, those Adams Romance issues are a must for the completist or those who enjoy the "thrill of the hunt".

SH # 120 does look Adams-ish in a way, but GR # 134 bears no resemblance to an Adams cover at all.

OK this is what I would say are the top 10 most expensive

Roughly in order.

1. GL 76

2. Vampirella 1

3. Det 400

4. DC Superspec 6

5. Batman 222

6. Batman 238

7. Marvel Spotlight 2

8. HOM 179

9. HOS 81

10. Batman 234

The Archies Joke Book which featured his first comic art.

He did not do the cover, in fact according to Overstreet he only did one page. But, it is still a nice book.

339683-ajb41.jpg

cloud9.gif

Lantern, thanks for the scan - do you have a scan of the page he did?

I just noticed that Adams did 3 pages in a kids' mag called "Bananas" back in 1978...I had a subscription to that mag around that time. Apparently it includes parodies of The Six Million Dollar Man, Starsky and Hutch, Man from Atlantis,

Grizzly Adams, and CPO Sharkey... I'd love to see those pages - anyone got that issue?

Lantern, thanks for the scan - do you have a scan of the page he did?

According to his web site, this is the first comic book page work he ever did. This is also the only page that he did in this particular issue.

340409-adamsfirst.jpg

NOTE: No comics were harmed during the scanning process. grin.gif

340409-adamsfirst.jpg.3067c19af7c994114793e6c25fcee0cf.jpg

Don't know for sure about SH 120 and GR 134, but they have them listed on Neal's own website as he doing them, which includes copies of the covers. confused-smiley-013.gif

LINK

Kev, Adams' site lists SH 134, along with GR 134, but not SH 120...? Here's a link to that page.... http://www.nealadams.com/DC/romancecomics.html

Don't know for sure about SH 120 and GR 134, but they have them listed on Neal's own website as he doing them, which includes copies of the covers. confused-smiley-013.gif

LINK

Kev, Adams' site lists SH 134, along with GR 134, but not SH 120...? Here's a link to that page.... http://www.nealadams.com/DC/romancecomics.html

Yeah, I was wrong about that, but go to the main gallery page of his work and scroll down to the S section of the DC's. It has #120 in there as Neal Adams cover work only.

Try this thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, that's Adams alright... confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe this page from Archies Joke Book #44 (second pro. work) shows a little more than the other one.

Just imagine Batman's face where Archie's is and Robin's face where Jughead's is. The resemblance is uncanny.... insane.gif

340437-adamssecond.jpg

340437-adamssecond.jpg.31cb4c37858d0982a42e9e5aff200d21.jpg