• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the Overstreet outdated when it comes to pricing???

98 posts in this topic

Overstreet is right a lot, and it is wrong a lot...but as a tool in the comic book world, there is nothing of more use.

If you only collect CGC books, it might not be as valuable as GPA, but if I could have only one comic resource, I would take Overstreet any day.

The OPG hasn't accurately reflected retail prices across the board since the mid to late 80's.

However, it is obviously unrivaled in terms of information it contains, if you know how to use it correctly.

And yes, I buy a new one every year.

Overstreet has the most comprehensive listing of books out there, however the longer a particular volume is out the more outdated the pricing becomes.

I'm not quite sure but volumes come out every year? The market can and does experience many changes over that period of time.

It seems that more peole are using GPA when it comes to pricing and also overstreet doesn't list anything over 9.2.

Is the Pope Catholic?

The Overstreet guide is great in my book, heck I look at it practically everyday. I don't believe some of their prices, for instance the Walt Simonson Thor run is valued at $3 each for the most part, and even taking the hoarding of the 80's into account I don't believe those prices one bit. However, it goes into pretty good detail on key issues and story developments on most series. Quite frankly, I don't think he changes the bulk of the prices volume to volume, he probably only alters key issue prices and more than likely only the top 50 keys of each age.

Overstreet is a great reference, but IMHO to use it as a sole source of pricing data is a mistake. GPA is an excellent follow up for CGC books, and there are other checks I run on "raw" books before I purchase or sell. It's a sinking feeling to pay near guide for a raw book to find out it is selling regularly on E-bay for a fraction of the cost.

The Guide is hampered by a few things:

- printing delay

- some of the dealers

- what seems to be an unwillingness to let books decline in price

I often hear that OPG prices are outdated or simply wrong. For the most part, does this mean that they are too low or too high?

Yes, yes and both. The old platitude that "it's just a guide" is correct - at one time it may have been more accurate, but like with most hobbies you now need to learn about the market as a whole along with breaking trends and then use the guide as one barometer amongst many to appraise books.

OPG has always had its shortcomings, but with the market being as mercurial as it has been these last 5 - 10 years you can't rely on it solely. You need a variety of other sources.

I buy it mainly for the articles, market reports and such. The price guide is more a reference guide (1st apps, key issues, etc)

Yeah, me too. It's a FANTASTIC source for comic info other than prices and I enjoy reading the market reports and other articles. I don't use it for CGC books.

When I can buy a solid VG copy of Bats #24 for 1/3 OPG in that grade....

I want to buy where you do....

:)

eBay, approximately 4 years ago. I can look it up in my Paypal account, if necessary. Paid about $110, guide in VG was $300+ something.

These are, of course, the low end of the auction prices, because I'm a bottom feeder, but they are entirely possible with patience. In my experience, the majority of raw books sell for 30-50% of OPG in grades VF and lower (NM for 1975-up.)