• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Grail and the story behind it. reposted from the GA forum

24 posts in this topic

When I began collecting again a few years back I saw a picture of a book that really caught my attention. The book was All-Star Comics #12, the cover is all of the JSA in the large "V" for victory. I have always had fascination of WW2 as both of my grandfathers fought on the frontlines. My mothers father was a tanker, and fought in Berlin and many other large battles. He was discharged after getting shot in the leg and being sent to England, he was awarded the purple heart, bronze star and other medals for doing his part for his country and fellow man. What I do NOT have is the document from the government stating he was KIA. He saved the life of a new captain who joined up with his group after the last was killed. The new guy wandered off and got a little too close to a group of Germans, and my grandfather ran and tackled him as they opened fire. He was sent to england shortly after, but at this point the war was nearing the end and communications were a bit slow. He was reported dead to my grand mother before arriving one night on the doorstep of their home. The letters he wrote arrived shortly thereafter. I have pictures of Berlin and a few other places with before and after that he took while active. As well as some other pictures of him in a German soldiers hat with his gun. That soldier apparently did not fare well. The gun was brought home and given to a VFW, I do not know which. My grandfather died when I was 17 and I never got to ask him so many questions that I would now. But I keep all of his documents, medals, patches, pictures, and foreign currency he accumulated in his time in germany and france.

My Fathers father was also in the Army. Different section though. The only story he ever told was of Normandy Beach. He was there for the first wave, and was lucky enough to survive. The only thing he ever said about the Wars he fought was this about Normandy Beach "I my pants in the first five minutes of touching the ground, and didnt get the chance to change them for two days". He would not speak anything else about this epic battle, and I understand why after seeing documentaries and such. He was heavily decorated and went on to fight in the Korean War as well. He left active duty in th 1960's. His medals were unfortunately sold for the most part over the years, and while there are a few left I do not have them at this moment in time. I have had his dogtags since he passed when I was 10 years old, and miss him quite a bit. He was probably the toughest man I ever met for being 6 foot tall and 165 lbs. He joined the Army underaged with many other Irish kids from So.Philladelphia. I have his Dogtags in the photos below.

These are some of the pieces I have of my grandfathers past. And hopefully they will be passed on to my son. These two men will always be a huge influence in my life, and remind me of what I have thanks to what they fought for. My sons middle name was my grandfathers first name in honer of his memory.

IM000776.jpgIM000775.jpgIM000774.jpgarmy.jpg

My Grail All-Star Comics 12

AS.jpg

That is a sweet looking book.

My grandfather came home a broken man from his WW2 experiences and suffered through 20 years after and unfortunately didn't share any of his experiences nor kept anything from that era.

You are lucky to have these memories to ground you. (worship)

That is a sweet looking book.

My grandfather came home a broken man from his WW2 experiences and suffered through 20 years after and unfortunately didn't share any of his experiences nor kept anything from that era.

You are lucky to have these memories to ground you. (worship)

My one grandfather was a severe alcoholic after the wars. Like I said Normandy was all he spoke of. I dont know what he did but he wasnt interested in talking about it. All I know is he was very heavily decorated when he left.

Awesome story! I always loved that book as well.

But, unless your G-pa served as a tanker in the Russian army, he did not fight in Berlin. Berlin was taken by the Russian army in April 1945. The fighting was long over when the USA rolled in to occupy. The Americans did have a long slog through Germany though, and I'm sure those battles were aweful. Sadly, there was no JSA to help out!

My grandfather was part of the invasion force for mainland Japan, but due to the atomic bomb, he did did not have to fight. He was part of the occupation force in Japan in 1945-1947.

Then I have to figure out the story of Berlin through pictures. I have before and after, it seriously looks like a demo team just flattened everything. Unfortunately I get my information as it is passed down. But will have to figure where else he was. I imagine also the currency that he collected would coincide with his journeys.

What a great story, thank you for sharing. So many vets are reluctant to talk about what happened during some of those historic battles and I don't blame them. I don't think we can ever really appreciate what they had to go through, true heros all of them.
With you 100%. Hockey and Comics guy, and I have been discussing this. People really do need to remember what these men and women did for this country during this time period (thumbs u