• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the first comic you ever purchased?

66 posts in this topic

I always had comics around when I was kid, Archies, Richie Rich, stuff like that. When we went on airplane trips, my parents would let my brother and me each pick out a comic at the airport newstand to read on the plane. I remember an Avengers 106 I think that hung out, battered and loved, in my brother's closet for years.

The first comic I bought when I started collecting was Brave and Bold 128, Batman and Mr. Miracle. My brother had started collecting Archies because a friend at school was doing it. We soon moved on to superhero stuff. I focused on Batman and Daredevil. He focused on Superman and Spiderman. He stopped buying those funny books decades ago. I'm still hooked.

My father was bringing home D.C. and Harveys for me since before I can remember.

The first comic I bought off the rack for myself ( at Mister Fisher's stationary store) was Avengers # 57, the 1st S.A. Vision, it blew my mind! Marvel was sooooo different than anything else I ever read, changed my whole perspective on comics. Even though I was still reading D.C.'s, I was close to being a Marvel Zombie. My mom would give me $2 a week for comics and even at twelve cents a pop, I was able to get almost everything I wanted thumbsup2.gif. When comics went to fifteen cents, my mom would not give me any extra money so I could no longer get the same amount of comics every week, and boy was I bummed out frown.gif

laugh.gifA a child...

UK - 2000AD mid 50s 1978 - but Beano and Dandy before no doubt...

US - JLA 178 I think. Had a Bolland cover and featured Starro. 1982?

smile.gifAs a collector...

US - Fury of Firestorm 24 (with Blue Devil insert) ! 1984?

cool.gifAs an adult collector...

US - ASM 121 CGC 9.2 - 2001

Well, I can remember going to a coin store with my Dad and picking up books for a nickel, reading them, and then bringing them back to that store and exchanging them 2 for 1 for other books. All reader copies such as Pink Panther, Richie Rich, Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck. I even recall a Turok (the original) in there.

The first books that I bought were (I think):

- Uncanny X-Men #151 (Marvel)

- DC Comics Presents #38? What really got me was the back up story of the Crimson Avenger. His last story as he selfishly saves a city from an exploding ship. A true hero story. That really got me collecting.

Pretty sure we've had this thread b4 but then again we've had alot of thread before and this one allows some nice memories to flow back. As with everyone there were Archie comics and other books floating around, but the fisrt book I actually went and bought off a spinner rack at the corner store was New Teen Titans #12, the Clash of the Titians issue. As a kid I loved reading Greek Mythology, all the gods ans stuff, so that book just kinda jumped out at me. And thanks to the dynamic duo of Wolfman and Perez - well 22 years later just look at my Avatar. cloud9.gif

I don't remember the first comic that either one of my sister's or mom gave me, butI actually first started collecting during the worst time in comic history! The early 90's frown.gif Wildcats #1 I believe by Jim Lee. It must be a FN/VF right now tongue.gif

Warlord #33, from a local beach shop when I was about 8 years old or so. I remember the days so well, reading and re-reading the books, copying art out of them, taping them to my wall, reading the hype boxes and just waiting for a new series or other (I waited months for "The Untold Legend of the Batman" to come out!). The cover art of Mike Grell just drew me to that book at the time.

Ah, youth...

I think mine was Green Lantern 181. Sometime afterwards i bought some Amaz Spideys like 180 something and from there went to GI Joe 24 and 25 finally landing on Amaz Spidey 284 when i started collecting on a regular basis and X-men 199

first book i can remember reading was an aquaman with black manta & ASM#128, but they were my older brothers. I remember getting a bunch of eternals & star wars from my grand mom, and house of mystery #261 (Kaluta reaper of corn cover) from someone

first one i bought with my own cents was Star wars #52

First new book I remember getting was a 15-cent Jimmy Olsen my dad bought for me (little did he know what kind of monster he was creating smile.gif). First comic I remember buying myself was a Woody Woodpecker from the '50s, for fifty cents or a buck at an antiques store in Kent Falls, CT. I must have been 7 or 8...? Around that same time I started buying Beano and a couple of other U.K. titles, during vacations in the Caribbean.

I remember getting the huge oversized DC and Marvel 'treasury editions' for Christmas when they came out - and also getting subs to Spidey, DD, FF and Avengers as xmas presents from my parents. This would have been 1976 or '77...

UK comic book - Lots of issues of Beano and Dandy, which don't really count.

First one to make a real impact: 2000AD #2 - First appearance of Judge Dredd.

First US superhero stuff was from UK digest size B&W reprints of X-Men, Kirby Fantastic Four, Ditko ASM. BTW, do any of the UK readers of this forum remember that stuff? If so, where can you get hold of it now? It was great, they used to repriint one or two issues per book I think.

US comic book - Daredevil 181 & Swords of Cerebus TPB #1 (tie), which explains a lot about my collecting habits.

There were actually three "firsts":

1) When I was about 8 (1958) years old bought a Classics Illustrated Robinson Crusoe off the rack at the local A&P.

2) Aboput 20 years later went into Million Year Picnic out of curiosity. Had no clue what I was doing. Strated randomly scanning the back issues and got a Hawkman 3 or 5.

3) First purchase resulting in a continuing life of comic buying: It was a number 1 of one of the 1980 Marvel titles like Dazzler. Actually it was a bunch of them all at once - diff titles.