• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the first comic you ever purchased?

66 posts in this topic

Most likely a funny animal book... Remember reading a copy of WB chip n dale when I was in kindergarten.. First hero book would be Avengers back when they had the bloated 20+ member team... Ms. Marvel was a HOTTIE!!!

Can't remember the first comic I ever purchased as it's a blur of British stuff (Beano, Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Cor!!, Shoot!! etc.) that was aimed squarely at the 6-8 year olds, as well as Asterix and Lucky Luke (French, genuinely worth a read as some of the books are beautifully drawn and very funny) and of course Tintin (Belgian, apparently the most successful comic strip in the world, and also a must read for Herge's draughtsmanship and storytelling genius).

But the first AMERICAN comic book I ever purchased was Swamp Thing 10 by Wein and Wrightson. I bought it on holiday with a couple of other comics (Disneys, I think) about thirty years ago. It blew me away - I must have read that book at least ten times. Such a bizarre, garish cover, and nary a living human within the story, which credited the reader with some intelligence, unlike the Beano. I guess finding that book (which I later discovered was a fan favourite) was serendipitous - if I'd picked up nothing but Skull the Slayers and Black Goliaths (or whatever else was bland in the mid '70s), I may not have become so seriously and worryingly hooked. Or have written this sentimental cobblers.

Berni Wrightson is still my favourite comic artist. That book certainly had an impact, and I'm still a bloody fanboy. 893frustrated.gif

First book I remember bought for me? Batman 234.

First book I ever bought for myself? It was either Action 428 ("Whatever Happened to Superman?"), or maybe Flash 222 (the black Nick Cardy cover with the Flash/GL crossover).

Ahh... the days when all you needed was a quarter: ya got a comic and a couple of pennies back for gum. Life was good! Then they raised the price to 25 cents, and not only did you get no change back, you also had to carry around more than a single coin to pay for the comic plus the friggin' tax. sign-rantpost.gif

Maybe I'll get over it sometime in the next 30 years.

The one that got me started was Uncanny X-Men #183. Just after Secret Wars, Colossus and Shadowcat have a touching break up scene, Wolverine & Nightcrawler take him out for a beer, drunk Colossus starts a fight with (oops) Juggernaut, who was on the verge of getting sucked dry 893whatthe.gif by some chick named Selene. All in one book.

I had no idea who these people were or what was going on. Romita Jr's art had me hooked.

I don't know if I want to jump in here with the books you folks are talking about, but I didn't read my first Comic book until I was like 20 years old. My First book was a Valiant (either Rai or Solar man of the Atom) Pre-unity book.

I know it's not that exciting, but hey it doesn't mater what get's us in to comics, just that we grow and branch out right???

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

First one ever bought for me was one of those Giant Treasury editions, featuring Spider-Man, though I can't remember which one. I'm pretty sure Morbius was in it, though.

First book I remember buying for myself was Uncanny X-Men 164, the one with the Binary (Carol Danvers, right?) cover.

I'm definitely dating myself with this one, but the first one that I remember buying for myself was FF 54, right off the newsstand....jumping right into one of the greatest runs of comics ever. Shortly thereafter, I also bought a ragged copy of FF 31 and ASM 16 (which are actually posted on these boards somewhere) in the sixth grade cafeteria.

My dad had always bought us comics, and I do remember picking out FF#39 at an earliery age, and reading some of those DC giants, but the FF 54 was the beginning of my collecting. I love that issue. There are about 75 different story lines going on at once, at least it seemed to me, compared to the blah DCs I was used to. shocked.gif

I am not positive, but I think it was MTU #120 something featuring Spidey and Daredevil fighting some guy who I think had power to create fire or something, Daredevil #191 Elektra ressurection (wow), X-men #160 something brood saga (very cool), Spider-man #238 Hobgoblin story (awesome). I was hooked on Marvel comics from then on.

I think the first comic I ever physically went up to the cash and bought was Iron Fist #7. But my father had been stockpiling the mainstream titles for me since ASM 130-up, so after getting hooked, I was able to go back quite a bit and catch up.

Yeah, I know, ASM 130-up.... 893frustrated.gif

I am not positive, but I think it was MTU #120 something featuring Spidey and Daredevil fighting some guy who I think had power to create fire or something

What coincidence! That is the first Marvel book I remember having (but was bought for me by my parents). I also (still) have a Pink Panther from 1979 (?) that has my name written on it, so I'd guess that's the earliest.

First book I bought for myself was probably a Peter Parker in the early 100's.

First back issue: That's easy! Fantastic Four #57 (still have it!) for $3.50.

Chris