• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

Just clear a few things.

History of Caliber Comics

Gary Reed indicates that in Spring 1989 Deadwold #10 is the 1st Caliber comic.

So the date CGC assigns to Deadworld #10 is 11/88, and it should be earlier? CGC definitely should note this as the 1st Caliber. Even better, 1st Crow art piece that pre-dates the 1st appearance.

Just clear a few things.

Yes, just like most other comics there's an indicia date and a actual newstand date that's about 2 months or so later..

Deadworld 10 had an indicia/publisher date of 11/88, and an actual newstand date of January or February of 1989.

Just clear a few things.

Yes, just like most other comics there's an indicia date and a actual newstand date that's about 2 months or so later..

Deadworld 10 had an indicia/publisher date of 11/88, and an actual newstand date of January or February of 1989.

But Spring is usually April. How can a book have 11/88 and be noted as a Spring release? Even February 1989 falls short.

Just clear a few things.

But Spring is usually April. How can a book have 11/88 and be noted as a Spring release? Even February 1989 falls short.

Sound like he's generalizing. Every site I've seen has Deadworld #10 listed as 1st Caliber Comic, November publish date, January street date,

Caliber presents #1, January publish date, March/April street date.

I've got raws in front of me right now and the indicia on each matches the above for publish dates.

11/88 for Deadworld, and 1/89 for Caliber Presents are accurate.

Sound like he's generalizing. Every site I've seen has Deadworld #10 listed as 1st Caliber Comic, November publish date, January street date,

Caliber presents #1, January publish date, March/April street date.

I've got raws in front of me right now and the indicia on each matches the above for publish dates.

11/88 for Deadworld, and 1/89 for Caliber Presents are accurate.

Thank you. Good info to know.

I just felt like jumping in and saying :hi: guys! The Crow is easily one of my favorite books of All-Time!!! (thumbs u

Someday, I will own a Caliber Presents and a Crow #1 - 4 in high grade!

I have a couple of nice raws if you want to get a jump start.

And CGC 9.6 copies of The Crow 2, 3 as well.

(thumbs u

I thought this was interesting that 1000 copies of The Crow #1 (1st Print) were given away at the Capital City Trade Show in Spring 1989. That is a lot of copies.

Yeah, they REALLY pinned their hopes on that being the title that gave them a jump start. They gave away 10% of the print run then?

I thought this was interesting that 1000 copies of The Crow #1 (1st Print) were given away at the Capital City Trade Show in Spring 1989. That is a lot of copies.

Yeah, they REALLY pinned their hopes on that being the title that gave them a jump start. They gave away 10% of the print run then?

That's a lot of sweaty and greasy palms ruining those black back covers upon handling. :eek:

hmNo wonder 9.8's are so rare.

That's a lot of sweaty and greasy palms ruining those black back covers upon handling. :eek:

hmNo wonder 9.8's are so rare.

Exactly! Just like the SDCC comics #2 most were destroyed in the swag bag. :whee:

Guest Grails

This just arrived. I've owned one before and regretted selling it. The CD was released again but two tracks were changed. This edition has the originals. 1500 produced, signed and numbered.

image_zps033c6e6c.jpg

Guest Grails

I keep forgetting to ask, has anyone read this latest edition that has an additional 30 pages? What did you think?

image_zps5980c47b.jpg

O’Barr began crafting The Crow in 1981, with Caliber Comics first publishing the Crow’s adventures in 1989. The new trade paperback by Gallery Books honors the character with a re-release of the graphic novel O’Barr intended all along, all done with traditional ink on paper and hand-drawn lettering on the original art. That old-school technique goes for new pages, too — 30 pages of never-before-seen artwork, including a new closing segment called “Sparklehorse.” O’Barr explains the significance of that new closing sequence and the special edition as a whole in a most revealing new introduction, where he sets the record straight “once and for all” on what really happened to the girl who was the inspiration for Shelly.

Now I knew about his girlfriend. I did not know the reason she was out driving that night.

O’Barr has said before that he crafted The Crow after his fianceé was killed by a drunk driver when he was 18. What’s startling is O’Barr’s revelation in this new book: that she was killed just as she was headed to her car to pick up O’Barr because, of all things, he had called her for a ride since he hadn’t paid his car insurance.

:o:(

The Crow Special Edition review

O’Barr began crafting The Crow in 1981, with Caliber Comics first publishing the Crow’s adventures in 1989. The new trade paperback by Gallery Books honors the character with a re-release of the graphic novel O’Barr intended all along, all done with traditional ink on paper and hand-drawn lettering on the original art. That old-school technique goes for new pages, too — 30 pages of never-before-seen artwork, including a new closing segment called “Sparklehorse.” O’Barr explains the significance of that new closing sequence and the special edition as a whole in a most revealing new introduction, where he sets the record straight “once and for all” on what really happened to the girl who was the inspiration for Shelly.

Now I knew about his girlfriend. I did not know the reason she was out driving that night.

O’Barr has said before that he crafted The Crow after his fianceé was killed by a drunk driver when he was 18. What’s startling is O’Barr’s revelation in this new book: that she was killed just as she was headed to her car to pick up O’Barr because, of all things, he had called her for a ride since he hadn’t paid his car insurance.

:o:(

The Crow Special Edition review

Interesting. I'm gonna have to pick this up and reread it. It's probably been 20 years since I read the original. I'm interested in the new stuff.