• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering back what you could have bought, and for how much!!!???

51 posts in this topic

Let's turn back the clock a bit and recall what you could have (or should I say "should have") bought back in the earlier days of CGC slabs. I remember back in the summer of 2002 there was a Detective Comics #31 in a CGC Universal 5.0 holder on ebay that I could have picked up for just under 8k. :o

Like the saying goes, "If "if's" and "but's" were candies and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas!"

What deal do you recall and/or regret passing up??? hm

Attention everyone: As all of the topics have already been discussed to death we will now begin discussing everything hypothetical

Move on, but thanks so much for your 2c... :signfunny::roflmao:

2003, detective 27 in cgc 3.5 for like $35k

Hey Rick,

You must be one of a handful of members here that actually looks outside the box on an open comic forum. Realistically I don't know what I'm doing in trying to create a new topic of discussion. Perhaps I'll just spend the rest of the day reading all of the and moaning going on in the Action 1 5.0 thread. (shrug)

2003, detective 27 in cgc 3.5 for like $35k

Hey Rick,

You must be one of a handful of members here that actually looks outside the box on an open comic forum. Realistically I don't know what I'm doing in trying to create a new topic of discussion. Perhaps I'll just spend the rest of the day reading all of the and moaning going on in the Action 1 5.0 thread. (shrug)

you know me, it is all fun!

I've only got two stories, about 2001, my LCS owner (yes ! it's true) had a beat up but complete copy of Action Comics #7, just from memory it would probably be a CGC 1.8/2.0, and he had it for the what I thought at the time "ridiculous" price of $800.

the same LCS owner just about 3 years ago had a beautiful raw AF15 in 7.0 (which later graded out as a CGC 7.0) for $7,000. I remember thinking, "man, I'm not paying $7k for a common SA book, I could get some really good GA books with $7k"

yeah, I know.

I bought AF15 and FF1 and JLA 1 and all that stuff off the stands when I was a kid, so now I wish I would have bought ten or twenty copies and kept them. You'll go crazy doing the regret thing about what you should have bought and what you should have kept. I'm just glad I'm alive and that I met my wife when I did. Everything else pales in comparison.

A very easy one for me to answer here, although it;s not GA related.

A high grade run of ASM #2 through #10 for the grand sum of $1,000 back in 1988 just before the SA market started to move out of its slumber.

A move that I will always regret even though I was given 2 whole weeks to think about it. On top of that, the run was brought right off the newsstand, with some copies upgraded over the years if a nicer copy came along.

An absolutely dumb dumb move on my part. doh!

In 1991, you could have bought "Eastern file copies" from Hammer:

fantazia2.jpg

Does anyone know what any of these copies eventually CGC graded out at?!?

I would guess PLOD.

A very easy one for me to answer here, although it;s not GA related.

A high grade run of ASM #2 through #10 for the grand sum of $1,000 back in 1988 just before the SA market started to move out of its slumber.

A move that I will always regret even though I was given 2 whole weeks to think about it. On top of that, the run was brought right off the newsstand, with some copies upgraded over the years if a nicer copy came along.

An absolutely dumb dumb move on my part. doh!

What's even more sad is that the guy who was offering the books to you was trying to raise money to quit his job at the museum and pay for his sex change operation.

:jokealert:

Hey, I remember trying to find that store.The owner told me just look up in the sky where the clouds part.Where right under that.

Actually many years back he had a very impressive overstreet ad with racks of MEGA KEY golden age books I remember.

I've posted this before, but I remember getting a catalog when I was just starting college (just over 20 years ago) that had a Batman 1 in GD for $1000. I could've swung it but was getting out of comics at that point.

This isn't a really horrible percentage increase story like my friend trading his Hulk 180-182 for copies of the Dark Phoenix storyline, but it's up there.

In 1982 I had a chance to buy the entire Mile High run of Planets, yes 1 - 72, for $4000 (straight guide at the time).

Didn't do it, didn't do it, didn't do it...