• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering back what you could have bought, and for how much!!!???

51 posts in this topic

In 1982 I had a chance to buy the entire Mile High run of Planets, yes 1 - 72, for $4000 (straight guide at the time).

Didn't do it, didn't do it, didn't do it...

I would give you over $4k for the Mile High copy of Planet #53 alone (assuming it was a 9.6) :o

In 1982 I had a chance to buy the entire Mile High run of Planets, yes 1 - 72, for $4000 (straight guide at the time).

Didn't do it, didn't do it, didn't do it...

It's okay buddy. You still own one of the most incredible collections on THE Planet! So having the Planets would be a bit redundant.

Me on the other hand, I always sell just before the book or books get hot, and I always buy them at the top of the market just before they go in the tank....

:cry:

In 1991, you could have bought "Eastern file copies" from Hammer:

fantazia2.jpg

Does anyone know what any of these copies eventually CGC graded out at?!?

I would guess PLOD.

Right - wasn't this the guy that found proofs of the covers which he married to the interiors?

Here's my story...sad but it's true.....

In 1982 I was trying to scrape enough cash together to purchase Batman #1 thru 4 from a local collector. He wanted $800 for a near VG Batman 1 and a $100 each for his #2 thru #4...something like that. Anyhow I could have had all 4 for around $1200. He was needing money and called one of the big dog dealers up in NY or somewheres and he came to Arkansas and bought the guys entire GA collection of several 100 books. The Batman went for $400 because the guy took everything..and was a dealer....... (shrug):cry:

In 1990 I purchased a mint in Box Captain Action Spiderman outfit for $900. In 1992 I sold it for $1500. In 2000 I was offered $15,000 if I still had it....... :cry:

Just the kind luck I have....

circa 1994, I was less then 2 years into SA, and 2 years before buying my first Timely---had a shot at the Carson City All Select 1 for $3300 from Pacific Comic Exchange doh! The most I had spent at that time was $750 on one book, so $3k+ was nutz for me at the time :tonofbricks:

The copy, if CGC'd, would probably grade 9.8 today with a smokin black cover and dripping FC colors--by far the best copy of AS 1 in existence (thumbs u

circa 1994, I was less then 2 years into SA, and 2 years before buying my first Timely---had a shot at the Carson City All Select 1 for $3300 from Pacific Comic Exchange doh! The most I had spent at that time was $750 on one book, so $3k+ was nutz for me at the time :tonofbricks:

The copy, if CGC'd, would probably grade 9.8 today with a smokin black cover and dripping FC colors--by far the best copy of AS 1 in existence (thumbs u

Wonder where this book is now, has anyone seen it since? A 9.8 copy would only sell for what, $125,000 today. :baiting:

Wonder where this book is now, has anyone seen it since? A 9.8 copy would only sell for what, $125,000 today. :baiting:

I know the owner. He bought it from PCE and has tucked it away ever since. He is not selling, and yeah, $100K+ is probably right for a 9.8. An amazing potential price for a book whose glory only lies in it's great cover (ie Suspense 3).

Wow Ben I would love to see the owner share a pic of this book, would be completing mind blowing. Has he given any thought to providing a scan of the book to the boys who are putting together the book on pedigrees? Time for a last minute edit me thinks.

I don't think he has a scan of it, but perhaps I can ask him to make one. Although, handing a 9.8 GA book might be nerve wrecking :eek: I have seen the book once, and it is amazing. And of course, he purchased it a few years before the internet boom.

Sometime in the mid 1980s or so....Calvin Slobodian (International Comic Co.) had the Larson copy of All American #61 listed in his comic paper at the time. I used to get his comic papers all the time and would typically buy books from him every year. I remember thinking about it and humming an hawing about it...instead of buying it, I purchased some other books instead including a lower grade copy of Superman #8 and a nice highgrade copy of Four Colour #147. Stupid, stupid, stupid doh! . I think he was asking $1000 to $1200 or something along those lines for it.

Of course he later dumped most of his Marvel and DC runs which I had a crack at as well, but being in university at the time, just kind of past me by, no money = no books..... :cry:

Really, really, really wish I had that All American...anyone one it on the boards??? Would love to see a picture? Anyone wanna let me know what they think it would go for these days??? :cry:

Sometime in the mid 1980s or so....Calvin Slobodian (International Comic Co.) had the Larson copy of All American #61 listed in his comic paper at the time. I used to get his comic papers all the time and would typically buy books from him every year. I remember thinking about it and humming an hawing about it...instead of buying it, I purchased some other books instead including a lower grade copy of Superman #8 and a nice highgrade copy of Four Colour #147. Stupid, stupid, stupid doh! . I think he was asking $1000 to $1200 or something along those lines for it.

Of course he later dumped most of his Marvel and DC runs which I had a crack at as well, but being in university at the time, just kind of past me by, no money = no books..... :cry:

Really, really, really wish I had that All American...anyone one it on the boards??? Would love to see a picture? Anyone wanna let me know what they think it would go for these days??? :cry:

I have scans of this one. At least you don't have nightmares.

bb

2975166541_bdb78f04ff_o.gif

Larsons don't go past 1941.

In 1991, you could have bought "Eastern file copies" from Hammer:

fantazia2.jpg

Does anyone know what any of these copies eventually CGC graded out at?!?

Probably restored with magic marker.. You folks do know that was Dupcak don't you??

Most folks do as he's a regular topic of conversation. An ex-girlfriend, mother of his son just started posting in the General Forum.