• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet Comicon

57 posts in this topic

Yeah, according to the weather channel, snow on Saturday.

Unfortunately, I probably will not be available for the dinner. My dad is coming with me and I think we are going to have other plans. Hope you guys have a blast. See you at the show.

I think my group is still planning on coming, but I hear it might be a foot of snow on Saturday. If we end up spending the night, may be we'll try for the dinner.

Dang, still sitting here at home. My friend that was supposed to go has cancelled on me, so I'm trying to find another to go with me, but not having any luck :(

Lego Lady and I will be there again tomorrow if you're interested in meeting up! :banana:

Pretty good crowd for a snowy Saturday....well, started off NOT snowing at all, started about noon, and now it is a BLIZZARD! Show was pretty good in the morning and almost nothing in the afternoon. Leroy was selling lots of 50% off books and some $5 comics, but not much really going on in general.

On a different note, I bought a ton of good stuff here so far, including lots of DC War in nice grade, a big group of John Wayne Comics and some of his movie stuff as well, a low grade Archie #1, a couple of More Funs #65 & 74, one Spectre cover and one Dr Fate cover, some really nice Nick Furys, some nice Surfers, a very nice Adventure #247, a nice Superman #100, nice Wonder Woman #105, All Star Western #10 & 11, Iron Fist #14, some early Sugar and Spikes in grade, and some other nice 1950s DCs.....and I have my eye on a couple of more nice pieces....

If it snows a bunch more, the show will be fairly slow I think and might be some good deals around the room....

BTW, went to Cinzetti's last night with Storms and we saw some of the board guys, I think about 6 or 7 guys got together.

Spent some time talking with transplant today which I really enjoyed, talked to Jonjesper for awhile, and also Medicar and saw several other boardies at the table as well. Really nice to talk to some guys and put names with faces and such. Hopefully everyone got home safely as it is a mess out here...

I had a good day with sales.

I will do a couple 50% off shows a year to move some inventory and raise some funds. When you do catch one of my sales you can find some real deals.

My $5 comics are always strong sellers as they are usually low/mid grade gold/silver age comics with $10-$20 guide value.

The only board member I met (that I know of) was (Adam) Peter Palmer. Super nice guy.

Thanks for the purchases Adam.

Crowd was strong despite the bad weather and it was a mess getting back to the Hotel.

Leroy

I enjoyed the show. It's always good seeing Leroy and I talked to Dale more than I ever have which was nice. Made the trip over from St Louis with a couple of buddies from my bi-monthly comic group that meets here. That was a blast as we talked comics and stuff all the way over and back. It was raining a little when we got there.

Upon getting there, I stopped by by Leroy's booth which was also being shared by Troy Neely, a local StL collector/dealer. On top of the nice books that Leroy had that were crazy discounted at 50% off, I spotted a book of Troy's that I had watched in the CLink auction. Of course that was a 9.0 and this is more like a 3.0. But this copy of Captain Marvel, Jr. was also close to $1,000 less. I picked it up post haste as I have been wanting a good Raboy cover for awhile.

After that, I stopped by Dale's booth across the aisle. Dale is just super nice and, next to Motor City, had the best selection of books at the show. He definitely had the best selection at MegaCon. Despite that, I have yet to find just the right book to buy from Dale, but it will happen. He and my buddy made a deal that landed my friend a super nice Green Lantern showcase.

Made my way around the room and came across Comics Oasis. In Chicago last year, I loaded up with Spirit Archives from them. In Orlando, I bought a full set of Hellboy tpb as well as the new Cooke Spirit hc and a Crisis tpb. Yesterday, they did not disappoint. I picked the Walking Dead 9 tpb, a Goon Chinatown hc and Goon Fancy Pant Vol.2, all for half off cover.

As a word of advice for dealers, if your longboxes look dirty and like they are going to be even moderately troublesome to flip through, I'm walking right past.

Stopped by and introduced myself to Bob Storms, who was thoroughly unimpressed with the Tranplant live experience. My friend was very please with a Batman 241 he got from Bob though. Visited with the folks at Motor City and saw some very impressive books, including some early Actions, Four Color 178 and a very impressive FC 9. While I didn't buy anything there, it's always great to see a dealer with a nice selection of GA.

Kudos to Grahamcrackers comics as Jamie and his helper were very patient with me as I asked to see a few books on the wall, including an Action 17 a few times. Unfortunately, we just couldn't come to agreement on price as the back cover had a chunk missing and the cover had been reattached with cover. Otherwise, it would have been a nice addition to my Actions.

Picked up some Adams Tec and a couple of Amazing Adventures from the Pujols brothers, also from the StL area. Saw a good deal of BA that I thought was priced well there but no uber HG. I was happiest with the Four Color 19 I got from them for a song.

Speaking of books for a song, you have to always like the 1/2 off GA box when you see it. Especially when you can pick up a nice shape Barks book and 2 other Four Colors in decent shape for less than $50. Wish I could remember the local dealer that I got that from. Thought about a Spidey #1 he had but too much difference between my grade and his and our relative prices.

Guests included Chewbacca, Superman 2 villainess, Erin Gray from Buck Rogers, Michael Golden, Tony Moore, some Playboy former playmates and assorted comic and media people. I only stopped by Tony Moore's booth and chatted with them for a sec as I flipped through some stunning early Walking Dead pages he was selling. Super nice couple.

It didn't occur to me until about 3 o'clock when my group was getting ready to head back that there was supposed to be other boardies there. Other than Dale and Leroy and Bob, I didn't see anyone else there. Not that I would recognize them if I had.

By 4o'clock, it was a midwest snowstorm outside and we decided to head back StL. It was slow going in the unplowed sections until we got about an hour out of KC. Overall, a good show that seemed well attended given the weather especially.

Some highlights for me:

Friday night we had a great dinner with Peter Palmer (+gf), JonJesper, Topnotchman, and Medicar at Cinzetti's, we actually closed the place down. Couldn't say enough about the food and the price, so cheap for what we ate and our waitress was awesome. We had a great convo and I was really glad to meet everyone and talk shop.

I was really, really worried about the weather Saturday. I got to the show at opening and kept an eye on the weather outside as it changed over from rain to sleet by noon. Walked around and picked up some variants and some trades. I really couldn't find anything special. I was a little disappointed by some of the overgrading going on by some of the bigger regional dealers. At around two I decided to head out since the weather got really bad. My flight was at 7:00 PM that night but I was worried I wouldn't even make it to the airport. It took me 2 hours to go the 40 miles to the airport. I saw so many accidents and cars in ditches off the freeway. The weather was the worst around 3 o'clock.

When I finally got to the airport it was closed. They cancelled the flight before mine connecting through Denver and I had to sit and wait to see if they would allow the plane I was supposed to be on that evening to even arrive to the airport. They reopened the airport around 5 and my flight was 2 hours delayed. They really pushed to get the plane back out and I made my connecting flight to Los Angeles through Denver with ten minutes to spare.

Even though the weather was hellish it was worth the trip to meet some of the boardies. I'm glad I went, but could do without the drive back to the airport. I saw some scary stuff. :eek: Slow down in the sleet and snow people.

BTW apparently JonJesper would rather smoke in the rain without a hood than to look like a dork with one on. lol

Good to meet some more boardies. Like Beach Bum said, the conditions were pretty bad. An 8.5 hour drive turned into a 10.5 hour nail-biter on the way up. It was sunny t-shirt weather in Texas, but as we moved north, it went from sun to rain to hail to sleet to snow. We also saw a bunch of people on the sides of the roads. Some of these people weren't just gently off the side of the road either. We saw more than a few people about 30 feet off the road backwards on the other side of a ditch. TURN OFF THE CRUISE CONTROL!

We got checked in to our hotel and headed over to Cinzetti's to meet up with Beach Bum and MedicAR. Later on, we were joined by (I'm not sure if it's topnotchman or topnotchcomics) Tom and Jon Jesper. Great to meet you all. It was nice to unwind a little after that drive. Great food and great conversation! I'm glad it all came together!

The show was a nice size. It was easy to get around. For those that know me, I'm big on sketches and I heard Tony Moore is tough to get. Just like others have said, he'll only sketch for the first 5 people in line. We got in early enough, but the artist alley area wasn't well-labeled. We took 2-3 laps and didn't see a "Tony Moore" sign. About 5 minutes after the show started, a line started forming in front of an empty table. Sure enough, a small "Tony Moore" sign was on it. Sally and I were #6 and 7 in line. Just missed it! However, thanks to Dale Robert's help, we were able to be #1 and 2 in line on Sunday, getting a pair of sketches before leaving. Dropped off a few covers and ultimately the only one I planned on getting and didn't was Mark Texeira. The weather had his plane diverted and he didn't get to the show til Sunday. I didn't have time to have him do a sketch before we left, but I did get everyone else I wanted. Mostly added to my Goblin collection, but got a few non-Goblins, too.

Took some time and walked around the dealer area. Met up with Dale Roberts and Leroy Harper. Great to meet you both! (thumbs u Again Dale, thanks for the help getting a tough sketch...I owe you one. Leroy, thanks for bringing the books I was looking for from my WTB post. I got a great deal and I'll definitely be stopping by again! Walked around and picked up a few TMNT books and some cheap ASM.

Sally and I left Overland Park about 3pm on Sunday and got home a little after midnight. Overall, great trip and I hope to do it again next year!

-Adam

It was a great time meeting Peter Palmer and GF, Medicar, Beachbum at the dinner on Friday night, great food and even better conversation. Stopped by Dales and Blazing Bobs booth a few times each day and they both had the highest quality books and selection at the show. The weather was not to be forgotten, but sounds like everyone made it through with just some delays.

Until next time...

BTW apparently JonJesper would rather smoke in the rain without a hood than to look like a dork with one on. lol

:pullhair:

Where were YOU this year??

I was broke again. :sorry:

:pullhair:

Where were YOU this year??

I was broke again. :sorry:

:( I was keeping an eye out for you... You were missed!