• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All I can say is... WOW

50 posts in this topic

I just posted this elsewhere as my first post on these boards.

I am not sure that $3,612 is that crazy for the 7th Marvel Super Hero Comic. I mean a Hulk #1 8.0 went for something like $30,000 recently.

Anyways as the winner of the book I am happy with what I paid. I was hoping to get it around $3,000 and not the 60% premium to Overstreet that I paid. It was the one book up for auction that I wanted (and I got a good deal on some other books). I paid $3,500 for my FF #2 CGC 8.0 a while back and the Hulk is much rarer.

It will not be resubmitted but rather it will be winging its way over to me in Hong Kong (at crazy shipping rates - HK is a great place to be transferred to but it does make collecting hard) and getting tucked away in my collection forever like all my early Marvels.

You want crazy prices those early JIM's went for stupid amounts. I really wanted to add the JIM 87 to my collection but only for half of the $1,601 that it went for.

BTW, I'm the dunce who sold the Hulk #2 in 9.0 for $5,500 last year. It was a tough book to price - GPA record was something like 4K, and the sale price was nearly 3 times what I originally paid for the book. Somebody got a great deal.

The earliest SA Marvel non-keys have so little selling volume in high grade that when one of them does come up for auction, who knows what price it'll bring?

No. Never sold a book through Comiclink ever.

If you ever get a hate on for you early JIM books I would love to give them a good home.

:angel:

I am not sure that $3,612 is that crazy for the 7th Marvel Super Hero Comic. I mean a Hulk #1 8.0 went for something like $30,000 recently.

Anyways as the winner of the book I am happy with what I paid. I was hoping to get it around $3,000 and not the 60% premium to Overstreet that I paid. It was the one book up for auction that I wanted (and I got a good deal on some other books). I paid $3,500 for my FF #2 CGC 8.0 a while back and the Hulk is much rarer.

It will not be resubmitted but rather it will be winging its way over to me in Hong Kong (at crazy shipping rates - HK is a great place to be transferred to but it does make collecting hard) and getting tucked away in my collection forever like all my early Marvels.

You want crazy prices those early JIM's went for stupid amounts. I really wanted to add the JIM 87 to my collection but only for half of the $1,601 that it went for.

BTW David, Welcome. I was a little tired and in a hurry this morning for a proper reply to you...no need to defend yourself. There are plenty of high grade collectors who completely understand your rationale for buying that book.

Another book going overseas.

:cry:

It`s a pre-1964 Marvel CGC high grade. people are finding out the Marvels of 1961,1962 and 1963 are a lot rarer in high grade then originally believed.

I hear that. I am trying to put together a complete set of all Marvels from 1965 and before graded 8.0 to 8.5 and I am about half way there (I have the occasional 9.0+ but it starts to get really expensive given that we are taking about 320 books). It is really difficult to find some of the books in nice shape and for a decent price. (In terms of premium to overstreet - which I think is fairly decent for VF prices this Hulk and my JIM 84 8.0 have been my biggest premiums - and I am happy that I bought my JIM 84 a couple years back).

As for the comment about the book heading overseas given how much I have moved (NYC, London, Hong Kong) it will likely find its way back at sometime but given that I have not traded a book since I was 12 it doesn't matter where it is - it is not coming out of my collection).

I wish those JIM's were not so crazy. I really wanted that 87. For the first 20 Thor I only need 87,88 and 89. (I was the person who paid way too much for the 90 and 91 which were both C-OW page :( but both books are so rare). I can't believe what the 84, 85 and 87 went for. I am so glad I that I picked up 84 and 85 for a small fraction of the cost.

One more day of auctions and only 1 book I want. Hope it will stay at a reasonable price.

BTW David, Welcome. I was a little tired and in a hurry this morning for a proper reply to you...no need to defend yourself. There are plenty of high grade collectors who completely understand your rationale for buying that book.

Hey Roy... I thought that 8.0 wasn't "high grade" :baiting:

In fact, there are about 20 threads that argued that point. If you want to bother to see my own thoughts on that, check my post in the "What makes a HG collector" thread.

That Hulk #2 in that grade is a high grade book.

The colors are also way above average on that one....You'd probably have to go all the way to 9.2 to find a copy that truly has better eye appeal.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Oh, and by the way, David. Congrats on getting a beautiful book, regardless of what you paid.

I think that I started this thread because I was too stupid to pay the proper price for it, which you did. Enjoy it.

Roy - Here is a cut and paste of my post in the thread that I spoke of (you wouldn't have looked it up anyway). lol

With all due respect, I believe that these "newer" books and the frenzy for 9.8's over 9.6 or 9.4's is akin to a "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. I collect mainly SA books in the VF range. Does that mean what I'm collecting is shyte?

I think not, although many may disagree. There's nothing wrong with collecting BA or CA books in the highest possible grade you can get them in, if that's your thing. But I think too many people are enamored with those high numbers, regardless of the book itself.

Does ones ASM 252 9.8 outrank my ASM 1 8.0? Is their Hulk 181 9.6 more desirable than my Hulk 1 7.5? Does owning a Giant-Size X-Men 1 9.8 carry more weight than a 7.5 FF #1? Of course I upgrade when I can, but it's much harder to do with certain books.

Some out there will even put a number on it, like for a SA book to be considered "high grade" it should be at least an 8.0. Does this apply to a TTA 41, JIM 90, Hulk 6 and a TOS 39, which all came out around March of 1963?

My point is that I collect the books I love and I'm pretty sure that of the aforementioned books, there are more of the formers than the latters floating around. This is not even factoring the GA collectors out there who own books that come around once every decade or so, if that. Books that a Blue Label 6.0 would absolutely be considered "high grade."

Sorry for the rantrant but when it comes to collectors, it's to each his own and whatever floats your boat, go get it and enjoy. We're all collectors. Peace.

Here's something interesting -

FF #43 in 9.2 (A fairly common non key book) finished at $716

FF#52 in 9.2 (a Key) finished at $700

:doh:

Here's something interesting -

FF #43 in 9.2 (A fairly common non key book) finished at $716

FF#52 in 9.2 (a Key) finished at $700

:doh:

Is that right?? FF 52 cgc 9.2 only went for $700?? doh! I would have snapped that up to upgrade my 8.0....