• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Sales tax on ComicLink order

51 posts in this topic

The seller can counter a bid and it's private as it does not affect the asking price. You can either accept or increase your bid which is public.

Thanks Count, I was wondering about that. The handful of times I've shown in lower bids on CLink where there's been any price movement the seller has lowered his public asking price instead of making a private counter. Appreciate the info.

The seller can counter a bid and it's private as it does not affect the asking price. You can either accept or increase your bid which is public.

Thanks Count, I was wondering about that. The handful of times I've shown in lower bids on CLink where there's been any price movement the seller has lowered his public asking price instead of making a private counter. Appreciate the info.

As a seller on ComicLink, when providing a counter offer, you have the choice of either (a) making counter offer to current bidder(s) only, in which case the list price remains the same, so only the current bidder(s) can buy at the counter offer price, or (b) making the counter offer become the new asking price, so that the current bidder(s) and anyone else looking at the item can get it for the new lower price...

Oh well it went from Total: $3,116 add $270.00 tax and $30 shipping .... the new total is......

Total: $0.00

lol

Don't get too comfortable with not paying state taxes for online orders. It will eventually impact anyone/anywhere as the govt will get their hands in the pot for online sales as well.

Everybody does realize you are supposed to pay sales tax on purchases in NY - it's the law. Comiclink is a business and they could get in big time trouble for not charging sales tax. If you are going to routinely make big purchases like this, get a reseller tax id. I have not bought on several occasions from C-Link because the extra 12 % they add to the cost - tax plus 3% credit surcharge. Other times I just bite the bullet and get the book I want.

What is a reseller tax ID and how does that work?

here you go -

http://www.salehoo.com/blog/how-to-get-a-reseller-license-sales-tax-id/

just because I'm in nY?

(thumbs u

Well that blows :mad:

You should move...no one should have to live in New York. There is a whole beautiful country out there on the other side of the Mississippi.

(:

Go West. Don't homestead in Arkansas. We still pay SIT (State Income Taxes)...

Everybody does realize you are supposed to pay sales tax on purchases in NY - it's the law. Comiclink is a business and they could get in big time trouble for not charging sales tax. If you are going to routinely make big purchases like this, get a reseller tax id. I have not bought on several occasions from C-Link because the extra 12 % they add to the cost - tax plus 3% credit surcharge. Other times I just bite the bullet and get the book I want.

What is a reseller tax ID and how does that work?

Reseller tax ID is for a person who resells the items he is buying. Not for someone who just wants to get around paying the sales tax, and keeps the item. So, if you are going to resell, as a business, then go for it. But people have been caught using it to just circumvent the sales tax altogether.

On the other hand, I've seen other business buy items as tax exempt(using there FID number) with absolutely no intention of reselling. Right in Sam's Club, no less. I've been asked many times by clerk's if I am tax exempt, and i tell them that it's only for RESALE, as if they cared.

Actually, some companies in NY and NJ have to collect sales tax from both states. I'm in New Jersey and we have to collect NY tax as well. :( Thats what my accountant says. :(

That's called a reciprical agreement between the states. Not all states have a reciprical agreement, but NY/NJ does. But I believe it is meant for business though.

Aren't out-of-state purchasers supposed to pay a "use tax" to their state of residence? (shrug)

Yes, a business, who buys goods from out of state is supposed to report that on their sales tax return, and then pay the appropriate sales tax on it at that time. It's been that way for a long time, it's just not enforced very well. I think it sucks bigtime.

As of a year or two ago, PERSONAL income tax returns for NY State have a line on it for reporting your out of state/internet/nontaxed purchases so they can try to nail you there also. My accountant says leaving that line totally blank is not a good idea. He just makes up a number and throes it in there.

Just call me Mike the Tax Man

just because I'm in nY?

(thumbs u

Well that blows :mad:

You should move...no one should have to live in New York. There is a whole beautiful country out there on the other side of the Mississippi.

(:

Go West. Don't homestead in Arkansas. We still pay SIT (State Income Taxes)...

Don't remind me...about Arkansas and it's stupid State Income Tax.... lol

I still gotta send mine in next month...