• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will the early Image books ever be worth anything?

59 posts in this topic

Where the heck is Stephen Platt these days?? Wizard had him pegged as the second coming of Christ in 1992, they brainwashed me into buying a bunch of Prophet books (which all sucked)

Heh. There's a current sales thread where a guy's trying to sell a Moon Knight sketch by Platt...

I saw that and thought at first it was graded for that price. Then I realized he had one of those thick protector cases. What a shame, as he probably paid quite a bit for it.

WildC.A.T.S,Spawn whaeever one become movies will a short term value. you would think Jim Lee would push WildC.A.T.S his baby onto Hollywood.

Because Spawn becoming a movie and TV show has really helped its value go up?

Short term as I said, you buy a year before movie comes out, then sell right when movie premieres. you will make a little profit, also Spawn 100 and up are harder to get with 185 Todd McFarlane Headless Variant Cover going for good coin.

95 PERCENT of Image is junk with a few gems thrown in.

WildC.A.T.S,Spawn whaeever one become movies will a short term value. you would think Jim Lee would push WildC.A.T.S his baby onto Hollywood.

Short term as I said, you buy a year before movie comes out, then sell right when movie premieres. you will make a little profit, also Spawn 100 and up are harder to get with 185 Todd McFarlane Headless Variant Cover going for good coin.

Dude the Spawn movie came out 12 years ago...

Dude the Spawn movie came out 12 years ago...

Todds trying to get a new Spawn movie done. a reboot.

I somewhat disagree. At least with Spawn, the early issues actually do pretty well on the bay considering there were millions produced. Just search "Spawn 1 CGC" and you'll see some pretrt encouraging prices. ( I don't have GPA anymore ) For a 9.8, they seem to sell pretty easily in the $30+ up range. That would at least cover the cost of CGC and the original comic book, which is pretty good considering the census has a whopping 988 Spawn #1 at 9.8 listed. Clearly there is still a demand because new readers are still coming in and would like a great copy of the earlier comics.

I don't know about all the guys that had hundreds sitting around in the back room because single raw Spawn's don't seem to do well. But a reputable dealer selling good looking 1-10, 1-20 sets could probably at least break even, or even have a small profit if they had bought them each less than a $1. Considering that a lot of stocks on Wall Street have essentially had all of their gains over the past 10-20 years wiped out, I wish I'd bought some more of those high quality Spawn #1's.

Yes, these will be worth something someday. But there is a catch. In order for them to be worth something, you have to buy the pristine copies, than keep them in perfect conditions, than in 50 years hand them off to your son, than in another 25 years he hands them off to his son. Now the way I figure it, if your descendent's can do this for another 200 years, than yes those books you mentioned will command big bucks.

i know they have some value. but will the day ever come when books like Savage Dragon 1, Spawn 1, Shadow Hawk 1, Youngblood 1, WildC.A.T.S. 1, etc. go for money like some of the BA key books go for today? you wold think that at some point people will look back and feel some nostalgia for those early days of Image.

or we're there just to many printed, or are they just not that good?

are there a ton of these books on the census graded at 9.8? or did they fall off the charts before CGC came around?

anyways, just something i've always wondered. :)

lol

I vote this most comical thread of the year!

I've seen waaay too many of these books in the $1 bin over the years, high grade books too. I don't ever see these things fetching much of anything. The Spawn #1, the best one of the ones you mentioned, only fetches about $40 in CGC 9.8 condition.

Agreed with dekeuk, the only way you will see true value from these books is in 9.9 or 10.0 conditions...very rare...

i agree..although 9.9 spawn #1s are still fetching high prices, and 9.8 SS copies of Spawn #1 are STILL going up in value :)

Now the way I figure it, if your descendent's can do this for another 200 years, than yes those books you mentioned will command big bucks.

yes, but will cgc still be in business to slab them for you?

i know they have some value. but will the day ever come when books like Savage Dragon 1, Spawn 1, Shadow Hawk 1, Youngblood 1, WildC.A.T.S. 1, etc. go for money like some of the BA key books go for today? you wold think that at some point people will look back and feel some nostalgia for those early days of Image.

or we're there just to many printed, or are they just not that good?

are there a ton of these books on the census graded at 9.8? or did they fall off the charts before CGC came around?

anyways, just something i've always wondered. :)

lol

I vote this most comical thread of the year!

thank you

i'm a bin diver and I pretty much won't buy any of the image books except the aforementioned spawn 1 (which i don't see in dollar boxes anyway), later Maxx and some of the early Gen 13s, some early fathoms, witchblade..basically, some of the later stuff (yeah, if i saw invincible in the dollar box i'd go for that too, but 2000s is another story)..which were printed several years later, so they don't have the same vast print-runs of the circa 1992 books. Remember when Gen 13 1 was a $30+ book? i traded in copies of 1 - 5 (that my older brother had bought to read and then gave me) for credits equal to their wizard values at the time and went home with about $50-$75 of golden age goodness (which was a few captain marvel fawcetts in pretty nice shape if i remember correctly)

Newsstand copies of these books may someday be worth something. 2c

This might become true in high grade. Even this might still henge on people deciding the comics were actually good. (Which currently does not seem to be the opinion.)

-Rob-