• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zap Bam Pow - SoCal Crew visit the Skirball and GA Exhibit

31 posts in this topic

Thanks to Cap Freak for setting up another great SoCal meeting this afternoon. Here's some play-by-play.

We started off meeting for lunch at Bamboo Chinese restaurant in Sherman Oaks. Thanks for the recommendation by new boardie Stevenrams.

Seated, left to right, Cap, PokerKid, Ginder and Mrs. Grinder, Joel Elad.

Standing, Stevenrams, Dark Knight, me and my son Ben.

76155.jpg.ae3d41aa132432d7f612211d7cdfa967.jpg

Dark Knight (Brian) bought some amazing early Detectives. And, Steve bought a great mix of GA and SA, including the latest Church I've ever seen. They're holding a World's Finest from Cap.

The Grinders didn't bring any comics. (tsk) But, Joel bought a great group, particularly some great sketch covers.

Cap (Conner) only bought two comics to show off and PokerKid (John) left his comics in the car. :makepoint:

76156.jpg.1177579a1ebb68054fb3bcdd77160a39.jpg

76157.jpg.71015fc7a1ec0b749d9bd5f5a46783b5.jpg

76158.jpg.61eee36eaa942d3859bfb9336afd330e.jpg

Finally, there was a separate exhibit in the next room. The focus was Hollywood and comics. There were some nice props in the room. But, most impressive was a copy of Action Comics #1.

Sorry, no picture as security in this room was tighter than the other room. Here is the back of the Batcycle that I did sneak.

76174.jpg.944f3e0a27abf5990261a15b6d65918f.jpg

Darn, wish I took a pic of that Action 1!?! I'm like kicking myself right now.. Me, Pokerkid and CapFreak graded the book at around 2.5 because of the tape along the spine and on the tips of the book. Overall it was a very nice and clean book with no pieces missing.. There were also displays of a few old slabbed Stan Lee File Copies CGC Gold Label of ASM #1, Hulk 1, and TOS 39.

The next group is OA of Golden Age covers. These are classic images, most a in Jerry Robinson's collection. Priceless artwork. My favorite part of the day.

Holy :censored:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is waaaaay too awesome. Superman 14 is one of the most definitive images of Superman ever... and Detective Comics 69 ain't too shabby either. Glad to see they still exist.

The next group is OA of Golden Age covers. These are classic images, most a in Jerry Robinson's collection. Priceless artwork. My favorite part of the day.

Holy :censored:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is waaaaay too awesome. Superman 14 is one of the most definitive images of Superman ever... and Detective Comics 69 ain't too shabby either. Glad to see they still exist.

Thanks for sharing + the great pics. Looks like a fun time was had (thumbs u

Saw Jerry's collection when it was in NY about a year+ ago. Just incredible.