• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 OSPG top 10

72 posts in this topic

Not sure if this was noticed by anyone or posted, but the new guide lists Hulk #1 at $40k in top guide in the ranking list..however, in the price listing, last year's prices (2.0-9.2) are listed with the 9.2 price not showing $40k but $32K :o I am assuming it should read $40k, and there should have been corresponding price adjustments (increases) across the board for all grades?? Mistake?? (shrug)

Although ASM #1 is a hot book it is plentiful in any grade. FF #1 is a very tough book in higher grades and a much bigger key.

Showcase #4 is a terrific book, but there is not enough of a following right now. Maybe it will do what Action #1 did and eventually take over as THE SA key.

R.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for FF #1. Right now collector demand for FF #1 is being driven primarily by boomers that grew up with it in the 60s. However, in the future my guess is that ASM #1 will be considered more desireable since Spidey was the king of the hill for Marvel in the 70s and into the 80s (although you could argue that the new X-Men were up there as well late 70s and assumed the mantle in the 80s through 90s). If the hobby survives long enough, you might even see X-Men #1 surpass FF#1 in demand due to the difference in popularity between the two franchises.

Showcase #4 is a terrific book, but there is not enough of a following right now. Maybe it will do what Action #1 did and eventually take over as THE SA key.

R.

I just can't see Showcase #4 competing with an AF#15 and taking over the no. 1 spot, will never happen.

I just can't see Showcase #4 competing with an AF#15 and taking over the no. 1 spot, will never happen.

I think the tide has definitely turned to the point that Spidey and FF are far more popular than Flash...but, I also know, in my limited SA knowledge, that HG Showcase 4's are far scarcer (and census data supports, I think)

I think the tide has definitely turned to the point that Spidey and FF are far more popular than Flash...but, I also know, in my limited SA knowledge, that HG Showcase 4's are far scarcer (and census data supports, I think)

Unless Flash becomes the new Spidey in they eyes of the non-comic fanboy general public, I can't see it taking out AF #15 either. Harder to find in high grade, yes, but a weaker popularity overall hurts it. It is the Marvel Comics #1 of the SA - key book but not quite key enough. lol

Are you kidding me? Showcase #4 was ahead of FF #1 last year?

:eek:

Complete nonsense. Showcase #4 has been overrated for too long.

Bad Surfer, bad Surfer! :makepoint:(tsk)

lol

1...af 15...$65k....30% increase

2...ff1...52K (moved from #3 to #2)...27% increase

3...showcase 4..48K....7% increase

4...asm1...44k....10% increase

5...hulk 1...40k...25% increase...

6...xmen1...22k...16% increase

7..jim83..18k....20% increase

7..showcase 8...18k (no change from last years price)

9 ...tos39...15K...20% increase

10....flash 105...$14K....12% increase

and avengers 1 cracks the top 20 at #20

Was there a similar increase in the lower grade copies?

It's interesting how little respect DC SA get's in the marketplace these days...

You have to earn respect.

Just kidding, I'd give it all for a Showcase #22 with White Pages...

:o I think myself a Marvel Comics # 1 . It's a shame , because it was the book that kicked off the silver age. It was completely new and exciting to those who were there when it came out on the newstands in the `1950's "1956" to be exact.

Atlas tried a revival with there heroes with Young Men # 24 in the early 50's , but it didn't set the comic world on fire, from what I know. Great book, BTW, Young Men # 24 ,is still undervalued after all these years later,IMO.. I do have one myself , but I think it's a cool book anyway with the origin retelllings , great art,scarcity, etc...

Harry (Burntboy) has said in the past that he remembers buying his Showcase #4 off the newsstands and it did have a "wow" factor then. The problem is that it has lost momentum since. I think it's a terrific book too, just as I think Marvel Comics #1 is a terrific book and in my opinion both should be a little higher up on the totem pole than they are but the problem is that they are not as culturally relevant right now as some other titles who have inched up ahead of them.

In 1956 Flash was the bomb, but in 1962 it was Marvel's FF and ASM and people haven't looked back since (or yet).

R.

I think the tide has definitely turned to the point that Spidey and FF are far more popular than Flash.

:news:

...if it were 1963. :baiting:

Seriously, the only reasons that Showcase 4 has stayed as high as it has is its historical importance and scarcity.

..but, I also know, in my limited SA knowledge, that HG Showcase 4's are far scarcer (and census data supports, I think)

It's actually more common in 9.4 than Hulk #1, and in terms of physical availability, I think it's more common right now in 9.4 and above than FF #1. A 9.4 copy of FF #1 hasn't really been on the market for ages. I don't consider the 9.6 for 9.4 trade between Doug and Tom to really be "on the market".