• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editing misses

14 posts in this topic

I'm seeing a few of these pretty regularly. Anybody else see any? hm

This week's Daredevil part "two" of "Return of the King" has part "one" printed on the first page. Mistakes happen, but the font was pretty big on that one. ????

Punisher limited series:

#1 - "#1 IN A FOUR-ISSUE LIMITED SERIES"

#2 - "#2 IN A FIVE-ISSUE LIMITED SERIES"

#3 - "#3 IN A FIVE-ISSUE LIMITED SERIES"

#4 - "4 IN A FOUR-ISSUE LIMITED SERIES"

#5 - "#5 IN A FIVE-ISSUE LIMITED SERIES"

;)

"Abbgrant" and "Ceasres" are my favorite misspellings. They aren't typos, they just flat out misspelled them. They are from Dark Knight and Mage, BTW.

There have always been little mistakes in grammar, spelling, and production, not to mention word balloons pointing to the wrong characters and inconsistent art, not to mention giant story and continuity flaws.

My LCS has a piece of original art on display with a great error. It's a Daredevil page with a panel showing a character, I think meant to be Daredevil, shooting a gun but in the published page it shows DD throwing his stick. Someone complete redrew that panel. I think it was JRJR that drew it, completely losing track of what he was doing. Or else the writer or an editor just decided to change the page.

Punisher limited series:

;)

Good call! :applause: (thumbs u I remember that one.

Punisher limited series:

;)

lol

Punisher limited series:

#3 - "#3 IN A FOUR-ISSUE LIMITED SERIES"

;)

Here's what writer Steven Grant and artist Mike Zeck said about those cover mix-ups.

First, writer Steven Grant…

Originally Mike and I wanted to do the 4th and 5th issues as one double-sized like the first one, but Marvel wasn’t keen on it, so we split it in two. But that was long before production started, so it shouldn’t have been a factor. I think the first issue reads “of a four-issue limited series” and Mike and I raised holy hell over that so the second issue has “five” on it. But production couldn’t keep it straight because nobody DID five issue series. People did four issue series. Mike and I had a bet with each other that the fifth issue would read “#5 In A Four-Issue Limited Series,” but they managed to get it right that time.

Next, penciler (and cover artist) Mike Zeck….

Grant is right in that it was always planned to be a 5-issue limited. The logo mix-up was really just a matter of the production department being in a habit of pasting “#X in a 4-issue Limited Series” with almost all other limited series. I noticed it right away when I caught sight of the first issue and called the editor right away. We were just in time to contact the printer and have the line corrected on the second issue. I figured it was taken care of until I saw the third issue with the same “4-issue Limited Series” banner. I figured it was useless to try and correct that fourth issue at that point since readers wouldn’t know what to believe anyway.

The Vosburg fifth issue was the result of deadline problems. I spent more than my usual time with the art on the first double-sized issue. Then spent even more time re-coloring it once I saw the originally submitted colors. It was already scheduled at that point, and I was well behind by the time I was into the second issue. So,.. breakdowns were suggested again to speed things up, and even with that, the editor figured it best to assign the last issue to another artist just to make sure shipping dates were met for all issues.

I like the Transformers (Marvel series)...#1-4 at the top read #1 in a Four Issue Limited Series, then it drops until #80, the last issue. That one reads "#80 in a Four Issue Limited Series". Really? WTF? lol

I like the Transformers (Marvel series)...#1-4 at the top read #1 in a Four Issue Limited Series, then it drops until #80, the last issue. That one reads "#80 in a Four Issue Limited Series". Really? WTF? lol

It was originally scheduled as a 4 issue mini but got so popular so fast they decided to keep it as an ongoing. I always thought the #80 in a 4 issue limited series was put there as an acknowledgment to the great run they had.

It was originally scheduled as a 4 issue mini but got so popular so fast they decided to keep it as an ongoing. I always thought the #80 in a 4 issue limited series was put there as an acknowledgment to the great run they had.

Yeah, definitely! It was to say, "hey, we were a toy comic that was only supposed to make it to 4 issues but we somehow made it all the way to 80. Thanks to all those fans who helped us get this far."

I do remember being very confused by that 4 issue series disclaimer when I picked #80 up off the stands as a kid. I read and reread this and the preceding 3 issues thinking there was some kind of significant arc contained just in those 4 issues. lol

Otherwise, Kirkman's books usually have lots of errors in the letters pages and recaps. I really can't complain because Kirkman is one of the only guys with an actual letters page these days and his are long and rambling - just the way I like them. I find it a bit weird to see bad spelling mistakes in the recaps - "adn" and such - especially when a quick spell check will catch this. There have also been some bad spelling errors in his collected editions - fine for TPBs but I admit to being bothered by errors in the $125 Invincible collection. If it's between hardcovers and sells for that much, you need to run a spell check!!!

-Bob

It's time, once again, to put on the editor's cap! :cool:

This week's Uncanny X-Men incorrectly states Mt. Shasta at 15,000 feet---when it's currently listed at 14,179 ft. It looks like we've got a little rounding-up action going on! (tsk) (tsk) Plus, I've hiked to the top of the 14,497 ft. Mt. Whitney twice, and Mr. Matt Fraction isn't going to give Shasta top billing in my book! :sumo::grin:

Robert Kirkman's most excellent book, The Walking Dead, brings us our next little editing miss---or possible error at the printer. His first response to the first letter writer in this week's "Letter Hacks" missed the bolding boat---which at first glance, made it seem like the letter writer was still speaking, when Kirkman was actually replying. ????

Granted, it was the letter column, but nothing---except my own occasional misses---will escape these eyeballs!! :sumo::acclaim::insane:

The classic Silver Age cover was Tales of Suspense, I believe issue 43 or so, where Iron Man fights the (sic) Pharoah.

Right on the cover too, lol

The classic Silver Age cover was Tales of Suspense, I believe issue 43 or so, where Iron Man fights the (sic) Pharoah.

Right on the cover too, lol