• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Archive Buying?

50 posts in this topic

Yea, how do you get this feature? I've bought comics from Heritage in the past and I know my wins are not showing up as "make an offer". So, I assumed you had to specifically sign up. I just wondered if anyone had any success. I've made a few offers and never had any success. I think if the "owner" doesn't respond in a couple days you get an automatic rejection.

1. Are they assuming that the owner of the book still has it?

2. Is Heritage charging a commission for this?

3. Can you turn this off? I think having people soliciting should be left up to the individual.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes, but default is "receive offers"

Maybe they also go back to every win you've ever done when you sign up for this? Maybe it's an all or nothing? This would explain why you can make offers on books from 2002 ect.

Last year, a friend of mine missed an auction for a book that sold in the mid 4 figures. He contacted Heritage with a higher offer and they managed to broker a deal within 48 hours.

OK, I just checked it out:

Access it with: My Heritage, MyCollection:Comics

1. It is in beta, and they are apparently filtering in what you can POTENTIALLY receive offers on.

2. The seller gets charged 10% fee.

3. You can mark a book as "Not taking Offers", "Taking offers", "Not Mine", etc.

4. You can set a BIN for the book; the default (as adamstrange pointed out) is to accept bids.

5. You can opt out entirely or on a per book basis, your choice.

Kinda neat. I was wondering when they were going to let the archives work for them.

They sell books on their site as well, and the process they used was VERY convoluted. This is a great idea but I hope their process of receiving, organizing, shipping, etc. for non-auction items have improved.

Thanks to the thread starter for this info; I had no idea it was there!

OK, I just checked it out:

Access it with: My Heritage, MyCollection:Comics

1. It is in beta, and they are apparently filtering in what you can POTENTIALLY receive offers on.

2. The seller gets charged 10% fee.

3. You can mark a book as "Not taking Offers", "Taking offers", "Not Mine", etc.

4. You can set a BIN for the book; the default (as adamstrange pointed out) is to accept bids.

5. You can opt out entirely or on a per book basis, your choice.

Kinda neat. I was wondering when they were going to let the archives work for them.

They sell books on their site as well, and the process they used was VERY convoluted. This is a great idea but I hope their process of receiving, organizing, shipping, etc. for non-auction items have improved.

Thanks to the thread starter for this info; I had no idea it was there!

But, this still doesn't answer the question about auctions from a few years ago. I wonder if you select it say for a current auction, if it goes back and selects it for all your sales. Because, like I've noticed, I've gotten a lot of non-responses with no counter offers.

I've received about three or four unsolicited offers... one of which was for a book I bought in 2002 or 2003 so they definitely go back. All the offers I've received were for books that were not for sale and I didn't counter on any of them.

Curious, did you then exclude the books from further offers? I made 4 aggressive offers (raising the price each time) on 4 seperate books, and never received a response from the current/former owner.

At the same time, there are books that I now own (that I did not originally purchase on Heritage) that had received offers, and the former owner just let the bids sit. I called over to Heritage to ask if some kind of "claim ownership" was available, but I was simply told that the offers will simply time out.

The make an offer function is a dream come true in one respect, because I have been itching to make offers on certain books for nearly 3 years. At this point, I have made over 15 offers (not playing around bids), none of which have received responses. I simply receive an email 3 days later that the owner decided not to counter :)

Curious, did you then exclude the books from further offers? I made 4 aggressive offers (raising the price each time) on 4 seperate books, and never received a response from the current/former owner.

At the same time, there are books that I now own (that I did not originally purchase on Heritage) that had received offers, and the former owner just let the bids sit. I called over to Heritage to ask if some kind of "claim ownership" was available, but I was simply told that the offers will simply time out.

The make an offer function is a dream come true in one respect, because I have been itching to make offers on certain books for nearly 3 years. At this point, I have made over 15 offers (not playing around bids), none of which have received responses. I simply receive an email 3 days later that the owner decided not to counter :)

So, basically you haven't had any success either. I hope they work the bugs out because it is a great tool!

I actually had an offer on a Planet Comics #10 CGC 8.0 accepted. I sent my $$$ to heritage. A week later, a rep from Heritage called me and told me unfortunately the person accepting the offer no longer owned the book! Heritage asked them why they accepted the offer and the person said " I accepted the offer under the condition that if I owned the book still I would have sold it" !!!

What???

In summary, I think it is a neat idea, but a bit of confusion out there about it from the seller and buyer end of this neat edition to the Heritage family of items.

Unfortunately for me, this all happened around the end of the Comiclink auction so I missed the oportunity on several books because I thought my $$$ was spent.

Also, I am still waiting for my $$$ from Heritage.

No hard feelings. Heritage has always treated me excellent.

" Heritage asked them why they accepted the offer and the person said " I accepted the offer under the condition that if I owned the book still I would have sold it" !!!"

Now that is FUNNY!!!

In one case I did exclude it because it's a book I know I will never sell and frankly am not even interested in what people are willing to offer for it [a Gaines Crime SuspenseStories #22]. I didn't do it in the other instances even though I'm not likely to sell those books either but this was probably more out of a curiousity factor to see what came in in the future.

I have to say I was a bit taken aback when I received the first unsolicited offer... it was completely unexpected and a real lowball on what has become a really hot book today. My initial reaction was that someone trying to take advantage of me... I would have preferred for Heritage to have given me notice that these offers might be coming. I'm starting to warm up a little to the concept now though.

Don't get me wrong, I think the concept itself is a fantastic idea. I got into collecting Golden Age books in late August 2006, and bid on many books in Heritage's September 2006 auction. I spent a lot of $ on their September auction, but my focus was on books that closed for $1200 each and below. I have been waiting for several higher dollar books to surface for 2.5 years now, so having the ability to throw out an offer has a lot of appeal.

Some of the offers I have made on some books far exceed the FMV value, so it is clear that the owners have no interest in selling. Apparently the books that I have been hoping to come to market have nice cushy permanent homes (grumble, grumble) :)

So, basically you haven't had any success either. I hope they work the bugs out because it is a great tool!

Correctamundo. Heritage is a great venue for vintage books, because it really is cool to be able to make an offer on their archive books.

I was taken aback a bit though when I pointed out to Heritage that there was an offer on a book that I purchased on the open market after it had sold on Heritage, and I was told that the offer would simply time out. Waiting 3 days to wait for a rejection notice on a big dollar book seems like a long time to have $ tied up. It really would be incredible if Heritage could work out a mechanism to "transfer" the ownership of archive books in order to allow the new owner to receive offers, similiar in fashion to how the CGC registry works :headbang:

Well, I just put in an offer on one of my grails :cloud9: and the auction was back in 2002.

Here is the response I received after I submitted my offer:

Beta Test: This new feature is still in development. Your feedback is valuable in helping us improve the product, so please send comments to Webmaster@HA.com.

Thank You!

Your offer has been sent and will be processed per the following terms.

Will My Offer Be Accepted?

You will receive the owner’s response within 72 hours. This service is free to the buyer, protects the identity of both parties, and allows offers and counter-offers.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for this thread. I had no idea Heritage had implemented this feature, but it is an interesting one.

For anyone that ever goes through their sales archives to find out what they have received for a price before, the pool of books that have been sold by Heritage is incredible. Always wondered if I called them would they contact the winner to make an offer, but never bothered. Looks like they got the jump on an innovative idea. I just don't think it will go smoothly if they do not notify owners ahead of time.