• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks for NOTHING Bill Sienkiewicz!
2 2

619 posts in this topic

Very cool Scott, great story and glad it worked out for you.

I wonder, any chance either you or Bill S had in mind Bill Gaines' Senate testimony regarding the original cover?

Senator Kefauver: Here is your May 22 issue. This seems to be a man with a bloody axe holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

Bill Gaines: Yes sir, I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it, and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

Scott - fantastic OA!

:applause:(worship)

He spelled "Suspense" wrong, but that is much better than "Patience is a Virue."

That's how the title of the original EC comic is spelt.

That's just historically sad.

Scott - fantastic OA!

He spelled "Suspense" wrong, but that is much better than "Patience is a Virue."

they just chose to combine the words suspense and stories together so one of the letters was used to bridge the 2 words and another letter was dropped.

Scott - fantastic OA!

I thought this was a hilarious joke. Now I see that you were serious :makepoint:

Glad to see a resolution to this, and it is a great piece of art :applause: Kudos Scott for the cool new wheels and the perseverence to obtain a nice showpiece.

That said, and I guess I am in the minority here, I still find the whole preceding situation inexcusable. Whether he meant to draw something offensive or not (and I am not buying that he was oblivious to it), it took THREE YEARS. I have little in the way of OA (in the process of learning before buying lol ), but if I do delve into the realm I already have a do not buy list in place of a couple of artists including Bill Sienkiewicz. Sad really, but simply because you work in a creative endeavor does not give you the right to trample upon customers. Anyway, my two cents :preach:

Thank you Heath. The new wheels are definitely a lot of fun. A true blast from the past. :)

As for the rest of your post, your two cents are understandable. If I was not trying to change my way of thinking, I would feel as you do. That is not to say that you are wrong for how you feel. I have simply decided to forgive and forget. Thanks for having my back. (worship)

Class act as always Scott...maybe I will put in a resolution for 2012 to be a wee bit more understanding/tolerant lol

Have a great day :D

Glad to see a resolution to this, and it is a great piece of art :applause: Kudos Scott for the cool new wheels and the perseverence to obtain a nice showpiece.

That said, and I guess I am in the minority here, I still find the whole preceding situation inexcusable. Whether he meant to draw something offensive or not (and I am not buying that he was oblivious to it), it took THREE YEARS. I have little in the way of OA (in the process of learning before buying lol ), but if I do delve into the realm I already have a do not buy list in place of a couple of artists including Bill Sienkiewicz. Sad really, but simply because you work in a creative endeavor does not give you the right to trample upon customers. Anyway, my two cents :preach:

First let me say your new piece is gorgeous! That is one of my favorite covers also.

I do agree with Heath though and even from what you wrote I got the feeling that if he hadn't caught so much from his friends that told him that original pic was turning into a possible financial disaster he wouldn't have given it a second thought to make up for his first "effort". After three years I think he thought you would just go away.

But anyway, it's finally closed for you and you do have a wonderful piece coming. Congratulations!

--Allen

I'm really glad to see that my opinion of Bill was not misplaced. As I said before, he has always been nice to me and I have not seen him be an intentional to people. He can be a flaky artist a lot of the times and that appears to be what originally happened.

Scott, that is a great piece. Congratulations to you for keeping a level head and staying on top of him to deliver.

:applause:

CSSRECREATION-WEB.jpg

THAT is a fantastic piece of artwork!

Exquisite , indeed!

That's great that he wrote , "after Craig" and added a lot of his own style/perspective. Truly unique piece. I love art referencing art. The logo with the little hash marks outside the border etc all great touches and care.

To be honest, I was hoping for a home run like this to make it right.

The touches that you comment on are the same ones that make me love it so much. Bill's inking style is most definitely on display as well. This is a walk off, bottom of the ninth home run. :)

even more; it is a walk-off slam. it is just magnificent.

Thank you to everyone who has been supportive during this situation. :) Also, thanks to Big Daddy, The Watcher, Bill C, FatComicMafia, BradleyX2, DiceX, oneasian, gregreece, Mac Man, Mephisto, BlowUpTheMoon, comicdey, mrwoogieman, JeffreyKli, oakman29, Hibou, Thomas Nielsen, the humantorch, Snake Eyes, Bosco685, binarysunrise, drewincanada, prodigy44, Sal, DoibyDickles, Point Five, dupont2005, tfa1998, Stronguy, Billy Parker, ss5rmp, Comicopolis, and everyone who has conversed with me through pm, for all of your kind words. It feels great to know that several of you guys have my back, and that the boards in general will stand up for a guy who is being done wrong. Kudos to all of you.

Thanks a lot!

Very cool Scott, great story and glad it worked out for you.

I wonder, any chance either you or Bill S had in mind Bill Gaines' Senate testimony regarding the original cover?

Senator Kefauver: Here is your May 22 issue. This seems to be a man with a bloody axe holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

Bill Gaines: Yes sir, I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it, and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

I can't speak for Bill as I was not sure what the piece would end up being. As for me, it was definitely in the back of my mind as it was part of the conversation I had with Bill Gaines 20 years ago when he signed my copy. I am glad that Bill S's version still didn't show the corpse, but did take Gaines' "good taste" argument and throw it out the window.

The adjective awesome is definitely overused these days, but it is warranted when talking about Bill's work here.

Check to see what he's drawn under the woman's skirt though :insane:

seriously though congrats on your art. now will the old one be hung up next to this one...kind of a before and after look.

I think in keeping with my attempt to follow through on my New Year's resolutions, the original sketch will more than likely disappear from public view.